What type of snake is this?

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
It's a very young rat snake. Most of the subspecies, of which there are many, look pretty much the same at that age. Considering your Maryland location, yours is most likely a black rat snake (sometimes called a pilot black snake) which is harmless to humans and beneficial in keeping the rodent/vermin population under control.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
We get a lot of black racers here, and the juveniles look very similar to that. They look similar to other venomous snakes at that age (like the pygmy rattlers), so they can be mistaken for them.

kranz

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
You can text a photo to Southeastern Reptile rescue at 404-557-2470 and I understand they will ID your pet snake for you

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
The lead has been buried here. That is a fine back scratcher. I've got a couple just like it. I gave one to a workmate who used to use a ruler to scratch his back at work.
I got mine in a three pack from the tractor supply

The telescoping feature makes it handy

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
venomous_vs_non-venomous-768x308.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If it's a rat snake, as others have seemed to identified, that's a good snake IMO. We have black snakes and we go out of our way to protect em. They keep our outbuildings and home free from critters like mice and such ;) Last I saw we have about 3 of em, each 3-4 feet long, doin' a fine job for us.

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Baby black rat snake and as stated above the markings fade as they age. If you look closely on an adult you can often see the remnants of the marks.

Water snakes tend to have a bit of a reddish tint in their pattern as seen in the picture above.

Water moccasins/Cottonmouths shouldn’t be in Maryland, but all kinds of folks have crazy and exotic pets that get loose.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
View attachment 976789
Internet sez this is a baby black rat snake, found in Maryland
I believe this is correct. We have them up here too. I saw one up close and personal last year and had the same reaction; they look venomous but are not. They also can get pretty big, up to 6'.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a guy once tell me if you can get close enough look them in the eye. If it is a slit, its bad. If it is round pat it on its head and send it on its way.

I can tell you I don't do snakes!! I get squeamish even knowing you had one in your house! And that it is a baby, and that means there might be more!! UGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's a rat snake. I know. I've been bitten by them before.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I hate snakes, I don't mean just casually, I HATE snakes. When I was a little kid we lived for a short while in a shack down near Decatur Alabama that was infested with snakes. None of them were poisonous or I wouldn't be here today. I dreamed of snakes for years after we got out of there. Alabama would float off the planet if all of its snakes suddenly vanished.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
View attachment 976789
Internet sez this is a baby black rat snake, found in Maryland
^^^^
This, most likely, though corn snakes can look like this as adolescents. The corn snake is also a constrictor. Both are prized as pets. Though allowing them to do their work around sheds, garages, barns, etc., is best for everyone.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I hate snakes, I don't mean just casually, I HATE snakes. When I was a little kid we lived for a short while in a shack down near Decatur Alabama that was infested with snakes. None of them were poisonous or I wouldn't be here today. I dreamed of snakes for years after we got out of there. Alabama would float off the planet if all of its snakes suddenly vanished.
Apparently there was a house here that was pretty infested

The folk’s burnt it down trying to smoke the snakes out, I think it was something close to a million dollars they burnt up

My fellow statesmen…..