What type of guitar did you learn on?

kristen

Tele-Meister
I started with a cheap Kent guitar with nylon stings. I put metal strings on it. had super high action. Man did it hurt my fingers to play!!! My electric was a double pickup sunburst Kimberly.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I learned on a Sears Silvertone.
I learned on a Samick made Silvertone S-style guitar. 2 actually. Still have them both since I just started in December 2019. I bought the first because I recognized the name and none of the other guitars were recognizable so I went with the name I knew. They're pretty good guitars for the price. I paid $140 for the first one with a Frontman 10g style Silvertone amp. I paid $25 plus shipping for the 2nd one a couple of months later lol.

I've also got 2 Indio guitars I'm learning to play on.

20220427_062618.jpg

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Can't remember the brand but it had fencing wire for strings and an action higher than Willie Nelson,After that I owned various cheap and very nasty 3/4 nylon string guitars.
Then I bought an Australian made red Monterey semi acoustic (Old Red) which i played for 20 years or more and still own.
Then there was a breakthrough when i discovered electricity and the minor pentatonic scale and to my surprise found out I'm actually quite good with a pick, still crap compared to some of the masters on this forum but good enough to keep myself happy.
I wish I had of started earlier and on electric guitars right from the start but the time I spent on crap acoustics has given me good finger strength which helps a lot with bending and vibrato.
Old Red is middle row left.
IMG_1474.JPG

rarebreed

Tele-Afflicted
First band I was in as a kid in the mid 60's I was the front man/lead vocalist, I did not play. The two guitar players in the band started teaching me and the guitars they had I guess you could say are what I learned to play on. Our lead guitar player had a Paul Bigsby designed Magnatone, it was a double cut with 2 single coil pick-ups. The rhythm guitarist had an old Premier scroll guitar with 3 single coil pick-ups. I've googled both those type guitars and they both fetch some pretty steep collector prices these days. My first electric guitar was a Univox 335 type.

rave

Tele-Holic
My dad had a classical guitar which I played a bit and then he bought a Hohner electric, not the famous Prince one but this one. It had what we called a mystery fret. Then I got my first real guitar a Gibson L6S Custom.
hohner copy.jpg

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
Sears Sliva-tone. acoustic and electric. the electric, now worth 10x what it cost new became an object of derision. I humiliated it in unspeakable ways when I got my Mustang in about 1967

Same here! Sears acoustic with mile high action and hundred year old strings, until I got a mustang at about 14.
I played that silvertone until the fretboard looked like one of those fake relics!

Dave Skowron

Tele-Meister
Cheap no-name electric that I paid 15 bucks for in 1969, then went on to a Ventura slot-head 12-string acoustic.

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
when I was around 12 my older brother got a 2 pickup harmony bobcat. He started playing in a garage surf band and I used to go hang out and watch them practice. Learned a few chords and that's where it all started....

not the guitar but one like this....

View attachment 980813
I learned on one of these and not too long ago stumbled onto a very fine condition version, a '64, which was a Silhouette, why they renamed it a Bobkat, dunno, same guitar......takes me back to my youth, and I got what I considered a fair price on it, especially how great the condition is and how much knuckleheads want for these on Reverb.....LOL

Attachments

• Bobkat1.jpg
    Bobkat1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 10

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Hohner Strat copy - Arbour series or maybe the precursor to that, played in to a Laney Session 40 reverb.

There is an example of the amp up on eBay now for £40 - very tempted except it’s pick up only and too far away to other with.

Wildcard_35

Tele-Holic
I began on an Alvarez Regent (an entry-level acoustic model that cost about $200 with strap and gig bag). About a year later, I got a job and bought a Deluxe Strat Plus and I still haven't stopped learning, many guitars and many gigs later. I still have the guitars I started on, though.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
First was my sister's Stella Harmony steel string acoustic. Wasn't bad at first, but after 5 years, the action was so high it felt like a cheese slicer. Then bass, my brother's '54 Fender Precision. Then after I went to college, I got '73 SG I still have.

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
I learned on a 3/4 size Harmony acoustic flattop I found in my grandpa's basement.

The first guitar I bought myself was a Washburn D10 that I ordered from a catalog. After that I was compelled to switch to bass because a handful of my friends already played guitar, so my first electric instrument was a Squier Jazz. That didn't really stick. I play both guitar and bass now, but I played only guitar for about 18 years after that.