What type of guitar did you learn on?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
A plastic Emenee branded thing about the size of a ukelele. I took the radio shack microphone that came with my cassette player apart and Scotch-taped it to the top of the guitar. Plugged that into my dads mono tube tape recorder (after “Welding” the right plug onto the microphone cable with a soldering gun…)
Feedback for days.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I learned on a Harmony cheese cutter that was so bad that Harmony was too ashamed to put their name on it.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
My folks bought me an archtop acoustic. It was actually a pretty good guitar, but the brand escapes me now, it was, after all, over 50 years ago.

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
Sears Silvertone. Looked great, virtually unplayable, and sounded like @**. Swapped it to a neighbor for a Gibson Les Paul Junior. Much, much, better guitar in every way. The neighbor liked the Silvertone. Go figure.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Yamaha FG340 that I got when I was about 19 and still play almost daily. A few years prior I started to learn on a mail order Laramie acoustic. Like many around that time, late 60s, I gave up, at least partly because my fingers hurt from playing first position chords on an instrument with action more akin to an egg slicer than a guitar!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
A really crappy nylon six stringer that my young brother smashed over me after I f4rted on his head when he was asleep.

That was followed by an equally crappy home made PBass type thing which I replaced with a genuine, much loved and sadly missed L Series PBass
Brotherly love……………………….coffee out my nose job, bloody hilarious!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
My Grandfather's 1933 Gibson LC-Century, which by the time I started playing in 1967, had already been passed down to my mother. Mom passed it on to me a few years back when her arthritis got to the point that she couldn't play anymore. It's still in exceptional playing condition and is my go to daily player.

View attachment 980748
Wow, just, WOW!

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
First guitar was some cheapo strat, the high E string kept getting stuck under the frets. I Quickly moved onto a Samick Valley Arts Strat, played that for about 20 years. Then started getting other types of guitars, anything but strats. Didn’t want to play a strat again. Now I’m back to being a strat guy.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Acrappy Nylon classical for $12 , then a feke Gibson Humingbird, then a really well made Japanese Epiphone acoustic. these were my guitars from 13- 1988 when I had to sell the Epiphone which was as dood as a Gibson.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Myself, acoustic Epiphone by Gibson 12-string, Regal resonator round neck, Tele partscaster, ibenez hh parts LP style. I still use them all. Except for the 12 that was stolen. As a lefty I have found that when you get a
Guitar you end up keeping it. Make it work, fix it, etc... Have a good connection with them.

Just seeing this thread. What I learned on...

1652711264205.png

...my Dad's guitar, a mid-1960s vintage Harmony Archtone H-1213.

Fast forward to 55 years later, one from my guitarsenal that I play almost every day...

1652711658916.jpeg

...my 1953 Harmony Broadway H-954, which I bought two years ago this month. Not the same model I learned on; the Broadway was a few steps up the ladder from the Archtone. But it was a Harmony archtop, and what sealed the deal was the date stamp. I too have a born on date of 1953, so this is my birthyear guitar.

On and incidentally, Billy3, I'm also left-handed, but as you can see from the pics, I play right-handed. When I started, I used my Dad's guitars, and I just figured it was a right-handed world, and in order to play guitar, playing righty was the price of admission.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I started on an ok”ish” loaner acoustic my brother bought at a pawn shop. I later bought a Taylor Big Baby and then started electric guitar after a couple or three years on acoustic.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
First was a Mexican nylon string not-so-wayno classical; just playable enough. Gone with the wind. Second guitar was also a Mexican nylon string, actually kinda nice for $40. Wish I still had it, but gone with the nephews…Here’s a photo from 1966 or’67? With my left-handed brother playing a 12-string:

CA765147-0541-47C2-96C4-B06298563417.jpeg

fleezinator

Tele-Meister
Dad didn't wanna pony up for another guitar so he convinced my older brother to give me one of his. I think it was his first guitar as well. Many a metal riff was learned on one that looked kinda like this:
WashburnA20.jpg

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Myself, acoustic Epiphone by Gibson 12-string, Regal resonator round neck, Tele partscaster, ibenez hh parts LP style. I still use them all. Except for the 12 that was stolen. As a lefty I have found that when you get a
Guitar you end up keeping it. Make it work, fix it, etc... Have a good connection with them.
I learned on a used, [email protected]$$ no name acoustic steel string dreadnought bought in the mid to late '70s and for electric a new 1985 Hohner G2 headless Steinberger copy. My first decent guitars were a used Gibson Dove acquired sometime in the '80s, and a new Fender American Standard Strat in 1987.

Last edited:

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
I started so young I can't remember exactly, mainly on my grandfather's early 60's J45 he had around the house.