What type of guitar did you learn on?

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
A later ‘80s Harmony dreadnought that my little brother had. I think he got it for Xmas and never fiddled with it. Pretty sure it was a Harmony, anyway—or maybe a Hohner (??). I picked it up and started learning chords from a book. Instantly began writing songs. Also learned a good bit about setting up a guitar by tweaking that thing. Kept it until college I think and at some point acquired an Oscar Schmidt cutaway with piezo. Both were cheapo guitars that played great.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
My mom got this for me at a garage sale back in the 70s. Cost $2. Still have it.

391663156_d75c55cf45_h.jpg
How she play? Love to put it an open tuning and break out a slide.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I started (in 1981) with an old Yamaha acoustic and moved on to a Peavey T-60 in fairly short order. Wish I still had the Yamaha.

Since I started back learning in 2020, mostly my Silver Sky.

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Gibson ES-125TDC. 1963-ish. Just like this one. It was 1981 or so. I used to play this through a 1958 original 5E3. I was not into that tonal package when I was 10. I really wanted a pointy neck guitar with a Floyd Rose. Scorpions man! That guitar was parked in a closet as soon as I saved up enough paper route money. I spoiled myself with an Aria Pro-II. I have no idea where the Aria went.

Later in life I could afford a decent ES-125TDC. 35 years later I found one at a guitar show for sale. Tried it. My pining ended in about 10 seconds. Not for me. Neck was very narrow.

View attachment 980619
Lucky!!!

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I learned on my first guitar, a 1975 Takamine F-360, a lam-top dreadnought that at 10 or 20 paces is a dead ringer for a Martin D-28.

It fell victim to a classroom "accident" and I gave it to a colleague. Sometimes I wish I still had it. I've been a Takamine nut ever since.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
How she play? Love to put it an open tuning and break out a slide.

Played. Neck joint failed - working up the courage to re-glue it. I literally played the neck off of it.

Great player BITD. Anytime someone played it, the would immediate ask if I would sell it. Nice beefy neck too.

49404537598_145a9d25ae_k.jpg

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
An older (late 1950's?) inexpensive plywood acoustic that my Dad let me borrow when I went to college. I remember when I was very young (mid-1960's) my Dad playing along with The Kingston Trio's "String-Along-With the...". I sure miss my Dad. My irresponsible brother took it out my room, at home, while I was at college, and managed to lose/break it(my sisters let me know what happened). Sure wish I had it. 😞

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
Truetone Archtop Acoustic from Western Auto. $28 in 1964. That's $259 today.
I probably sold a few of those. My first post college job was managing a Western Auto store in the College Park area of Orlando in the late 60’s. They had both company stores and individually owned franchise stores. Mine was a company store.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
First a standard issue no-name acoustic with a 1\2“ action.
Then a Hohner Strat copy - maybe it was Arbour series. Remember it had the proper shaped headstock.
Then an Arbiter double neck - the one like Jimmy Page’s.

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My parents got me this Carlos model 208 acoustic, after much pestering for a guitar, for Xmas ‘82. I started lessons in spring ‘83. I just banged a few chords out on it and don’t think it plays that bad.

I then got this Squier Bullet with this s.s. Stadium amp in the spring of ‘84 after pestering my parents some more. The Bullet was a decent, no frills guitar to learn on. I use it as my travel guitar these days. I’ve never seen another Stadium amp. I haven’t used it in years and the input jack needs repair. It would still probably make a good practice amp.
3EFCC3E6-0954-4C7F-8CA2-F9245092E863.jpeg
9D2035ED-2752-400B-9F6B-F174E2A6E162.jpeg

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
A cheap Korean acoustic from Haight Ashbury Music. The action was sky high. Later I had to learn to undo that monkey grip.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I learned on a Nylon String Acoustic in a 7th Grade General Music class.
I took to it quite quickly.

I was Very Lucky to have a teacher that saw how much I liked playing.
He gave me all kinds of songs and Chord charts to work on.

I can honestly say that for the First time in my Life, I had something they couldn't take away from me.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I wonder why there are not more, many more really proficient young guitar players today. Because even an inexpensive guitar can function and sound so good these days, even in the hands of some beginners.

Part of why I spent a good deal of time playing the Farfisa, was it was simple to play and predictable in its performance. I had a phobia for such a long time, about being on stage and having a virtually 100% unplayable guitar - the ultimate humiliation (besides microphones that crapped out now and again).

To answer my question, maybe they haven't really been exposed to a nice tube amp with a sweet speaker.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
1964 or so Montgomery Ward guitar. Probably the $15 one with the floating bridge. Had no idea what to do with it at that point. Carried it around in the cardboard box it was shipped in. The case was too expensive ($6 extra)!

After this had a horrible fixed bridge acoustic with very high action. That one hurt to play!

montgomery ward guitars 1964.png

4wotitswurth

Tele-Meister
Marlin sidewinder, bought Liverpool around 1990, on the way from Chester to Aberdeen, commuting to go offshore. Bought a cheap Marshall solid state in Aberdeen when I arrived…. brother still has the guitar tucked away somewhere… should have bought a fender from day one, marlin was horrible to try to play and never sounded particularly good either.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
1934 National Duolian. It was almost impossible for a 12-year-old to fret, so after a few weeks, my mom bought me a Sears Silvertone with the cowboy red burst. I learned to play "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" on that guitar. Over 50 years later, I'm still playing that song (on a slightly better guitar).