What type of guitar did you learn on?

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Myself, acoustic Epiphone by Gibson 12-string, Regal resonator round neck, Tele partscaster, ibenez hh parts LP style. I still use them all. Except for the 12 that was stolen. As a lefty I have found that when you get a
Guitar you end up keeping it. Make it work, fix it, etc... Have a good connection with them.

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I learned how to play, or better said, began to learn how to play at a Catholic Boarding HS in the mid 1970's

The School had a very cool acoustic/rock Folk Group ( our entire student body made up the ' Choir'- we all lived together and practiced this stuff!),
and I was immediately and absolutely mesmerized by these cool guitar players and all their guitars. I wanted to do that! Play guitar!

So my Sophomore year, a Freshman jock buddy of mine ( good guy) lent me his Yamaha Classical for the entire year
- I kept it under my bed in a huge dorm room; played it all year after classes, in PM, whenever; Beatles and Cat Stevens songbooks learing chords, loved it- I had a good ear to pick up things...

Over the Summer I made.enough $$ to buy my first acoustic, a Nagoya N-28 ( MIJ D-28 copy- all laminated but beautiful rosewood)

Joined the folk group my Junior year ( awesome!) and literally never stopped playing!
( got other guitars over the years, but held onto Nagoya until 1992, gave it to a friend)

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
Gibson ES-125TDC. 1963-ish. Just like this one. It was 1981 or so. I used to play this through a 1958 original 5E3. I was not into that tonal package when I was 10. I really wanted a pointy neck guitar with a Floyd Rose. Scorpions man! That guitar was parked in a closet as soon as I saved up enough paper route money. I spoiled myself with an Aria Pro-II. I have no idea where the Aria went.

Later in life I could afford a decent ES-125TDC. 35 years later I found one at a guitar show for sale. Tried it. My pining ended in about 10 seconds. Not for me. Neck was very narrow.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 9.20.27 PM.png

John Stephen

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I learned on another Sears guitar, called Stella. There was another thread just like this, about a week ago or so ("what was your first guitar," I think it was called).

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Myself, acoustic Epiphone by Gibson 12-string, Regal resonator round neck, Tele partscaster, ibenez hh parts LP style. I still use them all. Except for the 12 that was stolen. As a lefty I have found that when you get a
Guitar you end up keeping it. Make it work, fix it, etc... Have a good connection with them.
Global, right from Penny’s catalog + more importantly Mel Bay plus e
Infinitely more importantly my own blood and sweat and taking the time to learn how to tune that darn thing, $29 student model. I still regret selling it :(

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I learned on another Sears guitar, called Stella. There was another thread just like this, about a week ago or so ("what was your first guitar," I think it was called).
My younger brothers first was a Stella. He let me wind it up Lefty so when I visit we could jam. BTW did not know about the other thread. My bad.

Poster Extraordinaire
1979 Yamaha FG335. I worked 169 hours in my mother's bakery to buy it new. I still have it.

TeleTwoTone

TDPRI Member
I started learning on some no name classical guitar when I was 12, then moved on to a steel string in my later teams, I think it was a Yamaha. Early 20's bought a Japanese Fender strat and have preferred electrics ever since.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My third guitar was the one I learned the most on.
It was a late 1960s Yamaha CG50 nylon string.
It was easy to play, and sounded great to me.
I got it in 1969, when I was 12.
My first two guitars were barely playable kid’s toys.
The Yamaha, and my inspiring teacher, Drew Thomason helped immeasurably!

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
In 1991 I got one of these: https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2013/01/early-1990s-encore-e76-strat-guitar.html

It looked like a strat, kind of played like a strat(ish), resolutely refused to stay in tune no matter what you tried. I didn't have an amp, so no idea what it sounded like plugged in.

I used it for about a year until I 'upgraded' to one of these in ~1992: https://www.guitar-list.com/rockwood/electric-guitars/hohner-rockwood-lx250g which was an 'experience'.

From there my first 'good' guitar was in 1993: https://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012/08/original-1992-squier-silver-series-stratocaster.html

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
When I was 6 or 7, I wanted to play the piano. But a piano is quite big and expensive, and we were about to move one year later,so, no piano for me.
Wasn't too bad, as I was living to sing, since I could talk. I loved words and melodies and even though I did not speak English back then, I sang along every Beatles song I heard🙂
When I was about 12 my mom asked me, if I wanted to play an instrument now, as the piano didn't work out. And I said yes, I would like to play the drums. Well,my mom very honestly told me, that unfortunately no place for drums was left at music school. She seemed honestly bothered 😉
So, 3rd choice was guitar and my father bought me and my brother a second hand Yamaha nylon string and that is, where I learned my first things on, along with classical education, which didn't suit me well. I wanted to sing the songs I loved and accompany myself. And pretty soon I started to write music.

It's kind of funny, I am pretty much a guitar nerd, I love the instrument and always have, but I never wanted to be a guitar player in a band, I wanted to be able to make music and have something to sing to. So, I wouldn't say I am a real guitarist, I am much.more a singer but I love guitars and even started to build them, because to me, it is still the most attracting object I can think of.
That, and amps.....😃

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Some cheap MIC half size classical for kids. I was 8. It’s in a closet somewhere at my folks’ place. I think the bridge might be lifting.

After that my parents bought me a mim strat for my 10th birthday.