What type of diet (not a weight loss thread) do you adhere to?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Aug 13, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lots of veggies, beans, and grains. Brown rice and pasta of all sorts. Chicken and fish. Yogurt and cheese. All in decreasing amounts as time goes by. Water, espresso, and wine. Near zero desserts. I don't add salt or sugar to anything. Olive, grapeseed, sesame, and safflower oils.

The only near-junk is tortilla chips and potato chips with salmon or onion dip.

I love to cook and we don't eat prepared foods at home. When out to eat, it's Northern Italian/Serbian, Indian/Pakistani, and Thai/Burmese/Vietnamese.

Outdoor work and walks.

No "diet." I've eaten this way for decades.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The same as it has been since I was a teenager. 6'2" 160lbs. BMI 20.5, but that's meaningless.

3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I live on beer and side dishes as chips, peanuts.

AH! in the morning I drink a lot of water, then just beer again :lol:

getbent likes this.
  4. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

We eat lots of vegetables with every freshly cooked meal daily with mainly fish & chicken in our diet. I grow lots of vegetables in our garden & greenhouse. We eat the occasional red meat dishes mainly in casseroles in Autumn / Winter.
    We don't eat out (too expensive) or eat junk food except for the once a year or so fish & chips take out meal.

5. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

To maintain my weight I follow a simple diet called The No S Diet, you can Google it and find the free site. There is a Kindle book available also but it's only the content of the website expanded upon a bit (purchases pay for the website I believe), it's meant to be a free diet.

Basic rules are:

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds

Except sometimes on days that begin with S.

Works well for me, typical day would be:

Breakfast: Yoghurt with granola
    Lunch: Sandwich of some kind
    Dinner: Typically something simple and home made such as Stir fry, spaghetti bolognese, chilli or salad

Saturday is my "day off" where I can technically eat or drink what I want but really it's similar to weekdays with alcohol included and maybe a takeaway in the evening. Sunday is pretty similar to weekdays.

I've tried all the slimming clubs and calorie counting and I just get exhausted with them and give up, simple is best for me and I've been able to eat like this for over 5 years now.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Ah, grains and legumes...

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

It is a scientific fact that there’s more food value in beer than beer value in food

DrPepper, william tele and dkmw like this.
  8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

DrPepper likes this.
  9. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m lucky to be able to eat whatever I please and still maintain good bloodwork and skinniness. Born with a fast metabolism that can use a lot fuel - and (so far) able to process burgers and fried everything with no harm.

I eat some healthy stuff too. A banana is my normal breakfast, and coffeeeeeee. My favorite snack is a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit and peanuts piled on top. I consume a one pound jar of unsalted peanuts every week.

Breakfast, like I said a banana most mornings, but we go out once/week and then I usually have about 1500 calories of something. Once per week the wife cooks meat-market thick cut bacon. If there’s beans around I’ll make myself huevos rancheros. If there’s tomatoes it’s a big nasty BLT.

Lunch is usually a sandwich; I have switched to using one piece of bread, but I use the same amount of meat/cheese/garden as a whole sandwich. So it’s a stacked half sandwich. Potato chips too I confess. Alternate lunch is a burrito or tacos made with some kind of leftover dinner.

(Snack see above)

Dinner is all over the place. Just thinking of the past few nights, we had Pittsburghed baseball cut top sirloin with baked potato and grilled romaine heart one night, Teryaki pork with carrots and onions over some fancy rice my wife made the next, and last night it was chicken roasted with chipotle chiles, ajo, lime juice - plus fried okra and jalapeño rellenos. I grew and fried the okra and chiles at home.

Ok, now I’m hungry. It’s 10am and my banana has worn off :lol:

10. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

What I do: eat under maintenance, make sure you hit minimum protein goals, avoid "junk" food. I find planning my meals and not eating anything outside what I buy from the grocery store is best. For the coming semester, my current plan is:

Breakfast: 6 eggs scrambled, sometimes with hot sauce. Hot sauce and salsa are "free" since they have no calories*

Lunch: Chicken and rice wrap. I cook all my chicken and rice when I get it and portion it as I go. A measured amount of flavored rice and some diced tomatoes go in a tortilla with the chicken.

Dinner: Chicken, rice, vegetable stir fry. This has onion and garlic for aromatics, bell pepper, carrots and chicken. I just use one whole breast here and weigh the rice. Cooked in a bit of vegetable oil and chili hot oil from the asian market. A bit of high quality soy sauce for flavor. Half of my daily calories come from this meal.

All of this might seem like a lot of ingredients and weighing etc. but really it isn't; I try to get things that are pre measured like a chicken breast or eggs. Rice all gets thrown in tupperware and I just throw it on the scale and scoop it out until the number reads whatever I want. The main takeaway here is:

1. Everything tastes good to me. This ensures I don't hate my life while eating healthy.
    2. Everything takes almost no time to cook. This ensures I don't grab McD's if I'm feeling lazy
    3. It is very, very hard to eat a lot of calories of "lean" foods: meat, rice, potatoes, olive and vegetable oils, veggies. Seriously, try to eat 2500 calories of chicken rice and broccoli in one day it's an absurd volume of food.

Once you get used to about how much calories things have it becomes intuitive. Veggies and greens are "free" so on a salad all your calories are from dressing and chicken and croutons. A burger is ~1100 calories with it's buttered bun and sauces. You get to the point where you can eat whatever but you tend to stick to healthy food groups. A quick list:

Protein: lean meats. chicken, fish, turkey, lean beaf, steak, bison(big one), pork, tofu. Avoid: fatty meats like high fat beef.
    Carbohydrates: rice(white or brown, either is fine), oats, potatoes. Avoid: all bread. seriously. sugar-but sugar is better than artificial sweeteners due to insulin response if you need something sweet.
    Fats: natural oils, avocados, nuts(also good for protein). Avoid: butter, fried foods that aren't stir fried in good oils.
    Also good: quinoa, cottage cheese, VEGGIES, fruits, beans, many more I'm forgetting.

Honestly if you just stick to the list above and hit minimum protein you'll lose weight because of how much volume you need to eat to consume a lot of calories. This is just a general guide, but following diets will make you miserable and it's much better to be able to recognize what is good and what isn't and control your food intake the way you want.

*check all salsas, sauces, condiments for sugar. A lot of them are packed with it but the ones that aren't can be considered "free"

rcole_sooner likes this.
  11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here’s my snack, since I got hungry reading and responding (hard work). I actually like this; and it allows me to eat whatever I want later on. Or at least that’s my theory:confused::)

Two dozen fried oysters and a half a dozen hush puppies? No problem, I had kale with lunch:cool:

18A9F62F-789B-4CE2-9DD3-142F380E0D07.jpeg

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A pretty bad one but I drink mainly water almost no soda or juice.

bcorig likes this.
  13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

It's good enough for normal situations. Athletes like Julian Edelman are considered outliers.

14. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Low carb Minimal starch, sugar. Avoid CHIPS of any kind. Quinoa instead of white rice. NO soft drinks diet or otherwise. Water.
    Mostly protein - poultry and pork. Red meat every 14 days. Fish - mostly baked or grilled Salmon once a week. Beans, nuts - pistachios, cashews.
    Fat along with the protein. I eat the skin. Fried chicken every 14-28 days.
    Fresh vegetables with the dinner meal - green beans, broccoli mostly.
    My wife is an excellent cook but we eat out perhaps twice a week and stay with above.
    I count calories using my Fitness App. Workout 5x per week resistance and cardio
    Bourbon, wine or beer. Max 1-2 oz/day.
    By the case Vanilla Premier protein shake
    BMI 23.5 32 waist. 16% body fat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My health determines my diet. I became aware that I had blood sugar issues in 1999. There's a family history to diabetes, so back then I made some changes. And for a good while I stuck to those changes and ate better. But I didn't really exercise, and over time I fell off the wagon.

Then, after years of eating badly, on August 28, 2014, I went to the ER with symptoms, where blood work revealed that I had suffered a heart attack, and that I was a diabetic. A few days later, I had a quadruple bypass.

I took/take responsibility for my actions. It's my fault; I ate myself into this condition. So I've adopted the credo "I eat to live, not live to eat." So what do I eat?

Breakfast - two eggs, scrambled; meat (would enjoy bacon, but it's rare to find bacon that isn't sugar cured, so most mornings, a Hebrew National brand hot dog); a buttered half slice of toasted bread (Ezekiel 4:9 organic sprouted whole grain); coffee. I'll typically have one cup of coffee with breakfast, then two more throughout the course of the morning, and then that's it.

Lunch - a salad, often with strips of grilled chicken, and no salad dressing. (Dressings typically have added sugar, so years ago I found it safer just to learn to eat salad without any dressing of any kind. Now I prefer it that way.) Also, probably about twice a week, I'll fast for lunch.

Supper - Another salad, sometimes as a meal in and of itself, often with a "burger" (ground beef, no bun) or even a steak.

And that's it. Then it's basically like "Lather. Rinse. Repeat." It may sound boring, but I'll take my excitement in life somewhere besides the dinner table, thank you very much. And probably live longer than I otherwise would in the process.

Oh, and water. Lots of water, as in about a gallon a day. There are kiosks for Watermill Express purified water all over town, and that's all we drink. (We make our coffee with it, too.)

As for alcoholic beverages, again, diabetic here. So I basically only splurge once a year and drink a glass of wine on our anniversary. Our cuisine of choice/tradition for our anniversary is Italian, and I will have a glass of Chianti with my parmigiana di vitello.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  16. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Heavy on veggies and fruits, medium on fish and birds, light on mammals and whole grains, minimal sugar and white carbs, no processed/premade/synthetic stuff. No alcohol. Too much coffee, probably. Lots of water.

2 Headed Goat and TeleTown like this.
  17. bromdenlong

bromdenlong TDPRI Member

Vegan, aka plant-based. I do add a little honey to my tea (herbal, not real tea).

I'm trying to cut down on grains/carbs, but I am finding that much harder than going vegan was. I'm 5'11", 230ish, borderline obese by BMI, but my blood pressure is 100 over 65.

I eat out a lot - usually Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Mediterranean or Thai.

At home, I eat too many corn chips with salsa, almond dips or hummus. I hate to cook. When I cook, it's usually chili, or pasta with sauce from a jar. I only buy pasta made from lentils or peas, not wheat.

I never seem to like the salads I make, so my healthiest go-to item is my smoothie: 8 oz baby spinach, 2 bananas, 2 scoops of meal replacement powder, 1 cup of decaf green tea (because I can't stand it straight), 1 tsp calcium carbonate, 1 tbsp cacao powder, a little scoop or two of antioxidant-combo powder, and enough water to fill the blender to 8 cups total. On a good willpower day, this is all I will eat. I need to have more of those.

I'm sure I drink at least 3 quarts of water per day, and likely often more. I do that without trying. I am often thirsty, and usually only want water.

I figure I drink 0-2 sodas per week, 0-5 alcoholic drinks per month, and no real tea made with tea leaves, or coffee.

I won't buy anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. Any food with that stuff in it should be legally required to have a warning label on it, like cigarettes.

18. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

See-food.

19. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

rcole_sooner likes this.
  20. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

With all due respect, your food choices are going to fail you again... I urge you to research how to reverse heart failure on youtube, especially Dr John McDougall and Dr Caudwell Essylstyn...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.