What type of diet (not a weight loss thread) do you adhere to?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Think of EVERY ' bad for you food' that enters your mind
    THAT'S my diet. Honest.
    Life on the road, in a car:
    service biz> guitar player > Uber driving X 60 years

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly whatever I want to eat but reasonable quantities. Most of the time that's home cooked meals, well rounded, and probably more fresh fruits and vegetables than many. None of the fads or trends work well for me. I need my carbs just as much as my protein. If something is absent or less than common it would be greasy stuff and a lot of salt. We seem able to make wonderful food with less fat, sugar and salt than many seem to use.

3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Eeks, there are a lot of fit people on this site. I definitely need to take some inspiration and get my act in gear.

Dietwise, I love everything and have the waistline to prove it. I've long had a passion for cooking and cuisine, and love trying new foods and recipes. Wish it wasn't the case, but I definitely fall into the "live to eat" category. One of the benefits of being both a foodie and handy in the kitchen is that it's not that hard to cook pretty great tasting healthy food. Cooking your own food also effectively eliminates a big chunk of the over processed crap. The problem, of course, is I still love all the bad stuff!

That said, I have made a few changes in what I eat the past several years after I experienced a fairly severe gout attack. I wanted to avoid needing medication so I greatly reduced my meat (especially red meat) and alcohol intake, and have focused on making a greater portion of my diet plant based. It's worked very well and I'm avoided any repeat gout attacks since making those changes.

4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Keto. I feel great and have lost 20lbs over the last 6 months. I fall off the wagon on occasion, but generally its pretty agreeable. Except for the "no beer" thing. But bourbon is keto-friendly!

SAguitar likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

BMI isn't always a useful stat. For example, Julian Edelman would be borderline obese if you go solely by BMI...

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

After many years of gradual weight gain, and many attempts to lose it, I was frustrated. I had some friends who had gone Keto and it was working for them, so for about 5 months now I have been going that route. I've lost 20 pounds so far and it's staying off so that has been encouraging.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Low carb for the most part with portion control. I've done keto for some stretches but find it difficult to maintain long term. I particularly try to stay away from refined sugars, especially sugary drinks. The main thing for me is to pass on all the sweet treats and sodas that our company provides free for us programmer types. That fancy coffee machine that does cappuccinos and lattes is a real challenge though.

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I eat everything and anything I want.
    Pretty much all day.

That said, more than 20 yeas ago, I gave up:
    Milk
    and Ice Cream.
    They didn't appeal to me anymore, and pretty much made me ill.

Then, almost 10 years ago, I gave up:
    Whiskey
    Because I like it too much.
    I switched to beer.

And, more than 5 years ago, I gave up certain things that I really didn't crave anyway, things that weren't really doing anything for my longevity:
    Sweets
    Cakes
    Cookies
    Donuts
    Candy Bars
    Candy
    Sugary things, in general.
    I don't touch 'em.

Then, 3 years ago, I gave up the good dark beers, and switched to low-carb beers.

So, in summary, I eat lettuce, tomatoes, fish, and lean turkey, and I drink Miller Lite.

Let's change the subject already.
    It's depressing the hell out of me.
    :(

Stubee and RodeoTex like this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Things I eat regularly are eggs, cheese, chicken, fish, naked chilled shrimp, tomatoes, almonds, pecans, milk, sirloin, cherries, peaches, fresh spinach, onion and mushroom soup. Some other things but these are daily to weekly.

I quit eating bread and quit drinking beer. Just those two alone made me feel better. I never really liked sweets but have made it a goal to forsake the occasional candy bar or chocolate milk. I love feeling good much more than I love the stuff I'm missing...

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Fast, easy, palatable.

Yes I know there's better stuff.

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I like Suzi, but, I wouldn't touch sushi with someone else ten foot pole...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don’t follow a diet plan and never have. I’m about 6-8 pounds more than I’d like but that’s OK. I’ll lose it then regain it and so on.

I have a cup of coffee in the morning then nearly always take the dog for a 30 minute walk unless the weather is near blizzard or whatever. Breakfast is after that, usually a small bowl of shredded wheat, Grape Nuts or similar, fresh fruit if I’ve got it, milk on the cereal and a small glass of fruit juice. Then I have a second cup of coffee. I often eat breakfast two hours after I get up. I’m just not very hungry in the morning.

Lunch is simple because that’s not my big meal time, so 1/2 sandwich on whole wheat bread, or an ounce or so of cheese and a piece of toast, or a can of sardines with toast. I’ll switch to a few tortilla chips with salsa or crackers instead of toast if I feel like it, love peanut butter on toast, but it ain’t much and it’s simple. Just water to go with it. I don’t drink pop and fruit juice is just for breakfast. I do like unsweetened tea so may have that.

Dinner is my meal. It’s usually late, 8:00 or after, and I basically eat what I want. That might be a big serving of pizza, or a one pound steak plus sides, fried fresh fish, Mexican, just whatever I (or more accurately “we”) want. If I’ve been in a situation where the meals are truly big or heavy for a number of days I’ll switch to only a big green salad with maybe an ounce of cheddar cut into it and/or a boiled egg topped with my favorite dressing, Ken’s Steak House Fat Free Raspberry. I’ll do that for a few days until I quit feeling “stuffed”.

I’ll vary the above as warranted. Tomatoes are in season now so I’ve had a whopping BLT for dinner the last three nights and am gonna do it again shortly. We must be flexible to support our local farmers !

My weight has always stayed within a pretty narrow range. I’m not a snacker so don’t throw down handfuls of chips at night, but I do drink and know there’s plenty of calories there. I also stay pretty active. I’ve watched a number of people really struggle with diets and weight and feel much of that is just “luck of the draw” and I guess I drew the long straw on that little bit of fate.

william tele likes this.
  13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Since I have celiac disease I'm on a strict no gluten diet. I also try to limit my sugar and sodium intake, as I have high blood pressure. And since I have emphysema, my heart is already stressed more from lack of oxygen, so I'm trying to preserve my lungs and heart as much as possible, to extend my life as long as I can. I eat chicken and beef, but not much fish, and no pork. I try to keep my snacks as healthy as I can, so no candy, only cereal, popcorn, nuts, fruits, and yogurt. And the only soda is diet.

14. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

I saw on TV the other night that Burger King has a veggie burger that tastes like a Whopper. Anyone tried this? I hope it's true . . . cause then I'm saved! One can only hope.

15. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’m on two diets. There just isn’t enough food on only one for for me

bromdenlong likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A pretty wide range of ethnic foods I cook with spices and ingredients less typically American style.
    I love Indian and Thai curries, though less so in summer.
    Also Mediterranean styles.
    But I focus on fresh and raw vegetables, tons of fresh garlic, EV olive oil, some amount of naturally raised but not organic meats, and for the last six months or so very little carbs to keep the gut overhang in check.
    Shopping hungry leads to the bag of chips sneaking into the cart, and I've quit my ice cream habit and sticking to that plan.
    I still make sandwiches at work for convenience, keep stuff in the fridge there and have grilled ham & cheese often.
    Not perfect but not much junk food either.
    Compulsive eating just doesn't work for me any more, nor does binge eating.

17. telemnemonics

I have to admit that commercial makes me want to try one, and I haven't been the BK in years!

mabley123 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

Wild animal proteins?
    Like possum stew?
    Road kill of the day?
    We know about you mountain folk....

Obsessed likes this.
  19. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Don't do fast foods, eat very healthy, and Im very active. @ 69, im trying to stick around for as long as possible. If not, well I gave it a hell of a try.

mabley123 likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is legal to harvest roadkill up here. Just sayin':)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.