What type of diet (not a weight loss thread) do you adhere to?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Aug 13, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

What type of food do you eat? What style? Western ie. Standard American Diet, Paleo, Keto, Mediterranean style, Vegetarian or variant, junk food, etc....

I'm curious, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

bcorig likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Predominately Okie food. Some Mexican, maybe once in a while something Chinesey. I like Basque food too, (Spanish Basque) but it's kind of hard to find really good Basque food in a restaurant. I don't much care for anything that might be classified as healthy. I like food that taste good. I know, I know, Sushi is supposed to be both tasty and healthy, I'll take those that partake words for it.

william tele likes this.
  3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We feel we eat a fairly healthy diet. Low simple carbs and high in protein and complex carbs.

We eat a wide mix of styles: American, Mexican, Italian, Asian, Seafood/fish, East Indian, and probably others I'm missing.

We've been happy with vegan meals, but we are not vegans, we eat at many fast food places (but know the "healthy...er" stuff to get), we out at restaurants of all kinds, and cook at home. We drink a ton of diet soda, and our share of adult beverages.

I'm sure there is stuff we'd not enjoy, but most of it we seem to find something to like.

We have laid off sweets mostly. Seldom do we eat any candy, cakes, pies, or such. I can make some mean Oatmeal Protein muffins, that go great with a cup of coffee.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Low to very low carb, gluten free, almost grain free, and very little starches.

We are no fun to eat out with, but this keeps us healthy. It's just food - it's just fuel. Once you get past the "romance of food", what you eat is not as important.

5. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

My favorite is the seafood diet ... I see food ... Then I eat it ...

7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly carnivore diet these days. Different types of meats all day long. Seems to work so far.

Telecastoff1 and getbent like this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Chips (fries), pizza, curry, sausage and mashed potatoes, chilli & beer... a good balance of all the major food groups.

jackinjax, beagle and Piggy Stu like this.
  9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've mostly eaten whatever I wanted. Fortunately I never really liked junk, so that wasn't a problem. Ate copious amounts of Mexican, Thai, Italian, Indian, and garden variety American food. But I also was a really hard core cyclist for about 20+ years and I basically COULD eat whatever I wanted and in whatever quantities I wanted. Over the past 7-8 years I've had some health issues that kept me from any hard exercise and I put on a good bit of weight.

And eating almost no carbs seems to be the best approach for me staying at a reasonable weight and feeling pretty healthy. Keto, Paleo, Atkins are all kind of based on the same fundamental idea that our species evolved eating meat and plants. There was very little in the way of sugars / carbs available in the first zillion years or so of our evolution and our bodies aren't well suited to them now that we produce them in huge quantities. I've been doing a pretty strict Keto diet for the past couple of months and would like to do it at least through the end of the year and then see where I am with it. But my pants are getting looser and looser and a lot of little nagging health issues have either gone away or at least greatly eased up. The only time I seem to see a downside to this is if I'm walking through a grocery store and forced to SEE the various things I used to like but don't eat any more. But when they're not around I don't miss them, don't crave them, don't want them.

So, for now, Keto. Over time, we'll see...

Telecastoff1 and rcole_sooner like this.
  10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

we pay little attention to diet styles. Because of my wife's heart condition, we use almost no salt - but we don't even notice that. Very little sugar. Bread is mostly whole-grain. My wife cooks almost everything from scratch, we never use any packaged spice mixes or prepared meals, or canned products (other than basic stuff). I try to do some things that I like, such as corned-beef, various BBQ things, Spanish dishes, etc. I am not a very good cook!

We frequently eat a grilled chicken. I save the carcass and boil it up with whatever leftover meats I have stuffed in the freezer and whatever vegetables are on hand to make a soup base. She takes over and makes all kinds of wonderful soups.

I guess you could say we eat very simple meals, prepared from mostly raw ingredients, with little sugar or salt. But my wife makes the most fabulous dishes. Every night is a surprise, she does all kinds of Italian, Spanish, Asian (don't ask me which kind!) Every dinner is a treat. I'm very lucky.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    DaphneBlue and Telecastoff1 like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Curry and beer.

And bacon, lots of bacon.

And beer.

12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Ambassador for Wigan asked me to tell you that you are deficient in Vitamin Pie

RoyalBaby and beagle like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I let my tastebuds tell me what to eat. I have faith in them and find that food is much more enjoyable when I let them call the shots.

Foods like omelette sandwiches, steak and gravy with chips. Apple pie with real thickened cream. Fried bacon and eggs, chocolate, pan fried sandwiches with baked beans in ham sauce, tasty cheese and dripping in real butter. Rogan josh curry. Southern fried chicken.

2 Headed Goat, Piggy Stu and beagle like this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Green Onions, Dixie Chicken and Jambalaya; with Girl Scout Cookies and Tangerine for dessert.

15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like to swallow a goat whole. Then I wait weeks, sometimes months before eating again.

2 Headed Goat, tfarny, imwjl and 4 others like this.
  16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I used to eat this style: had the snake hips to prove it

17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I find that if I get a ton of protein, and a ton of water... everything else falls into place for me.

That means lots of meat and beans for me, and some protein drinks here and there. And I drink water almost exclusively (except for the protein drinks).

Oh, and coffee. Lots and lots of it.

drf64 and Piggy Stu like this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Weekdays - yogurt for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, burger for dinner. On weekends I eat out, either Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Mongolian, Indian, Italian, Lebanese, Greek, pizza or steak. I'd add Korean to that list if I knew of a Korean restaurant in my area.

19. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have abuncha health issues, some chronic, and - not to talk about weight loss - I'm overweight. So these days @ the age of 65 I eat a pretty good variety of foods from different ethnic, regional, etc cuisines filtered through basic limits and opportunities created by Mediterranean, Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Gout diets - altho these overlap quite a bit. I also count calories using the MyFitnessPal app - which affects food choices. The result is I tend to eat a lot of fresh food, alota veggies, certain types of fish, etc and tend to avoid processed foods, sugar, red meat, etc. I'm not my own Diet ****; which I would hate. If I feel like eating something outside of the program I've set for myself, I go for it. But most days I stick with the program and realize benefits from it. For example, not to talk about weight loss :rolleyes:, but I've been losing over a lb a week for the last few months and that's helping a number of health issues - breathing more easily, normal blood pressure readings, etc.

bcorig likes this.
  20. Allan Allan

Allan Allan TDPRI Member

It would be interesting to see BMI or height and weight next to some of these eating habits.

beagle, rcole_sooner and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.