What type of delay do you use for Worship?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by dombar335, Aug 20, 2019.

1. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Just curious... What type of delay is everyone using for their worship tone? Not what pedal are you using (I assume most are using some multi style dealt) but what delay type? Digital, Analog. Tape, stacked delays?

I've been using analog on my Nemesis Delay but thinking of trying digital to see if it comes through a little more in a band mix.

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

What you use and works best is dependant largely on the room or auditorium and system it is being used in. In other word, what you use at home in a small room is often entirely different in a large room with much longer reverberation quantity and delay.

For instance, a nice smooth analog delay sounds great in a small room while in a room with a lot of reverberation/echo it can sound horribly muddy and undefined getting lost in a mix.

In ear systems can increase that challenge since the instrumentalist usually hears a dry mix without the room influence the audience hears. We recently had a bass player using an effect that sounded clear to him but sounded like he was playing under a mud puddle in the auditorium. When he found one that was clear and nice in the room it was so harsh in his ears he couldn't hardly stand to hear it.

In my experience that is why some smooth humbuckers can get lost in a mix of a echoey room while single coils can clearly cut thru. Vise versa, in an articulate room a crisp single coil can be obnoxious while a creamy humbucker sound sweet and clear.

My point after my rambling is. Use what works for your room.

Eric

GoldieLocks and dombar335 like this.
  3. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I use a memory man 90% of the time except for parts that require the delay to be as crisp and present almost as the original note. eg never gonna stop singing from Jesus Culture, then I use digital.

Re the room comment above, rather than changing the type of pedals I tend to adjust the amp EQ to compensate for the room.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Ascension and dombar335 like this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Since I got the HX stomp, I tend to use their simple delay which is more along the lines of a basic digital delay. I do really like the tape delay settings as well, and the echorec models too.

dombar335 likes this.
  5. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Since I like my delays to have some modulation, I usually use an "analog" or "tape" delay. Though, some of them are actually a digital engine....

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I use a Timeline, along with a Source Audio Dual Reverb ( which has a basic delay setting)

7. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister

Boss DD-20

8. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I'm usually about 15 minutes late for rehearsal.

9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

And worship usually starts about 11:02.

10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

El Capistan- digital engine emulating a tape delay.

dombar335 likes this.
  11. William Pugh

William Pugh TDPRI Member

TC electronic Flashback X4.

Lots of modes, but I mostly use the digital delay when at church. Although I like the tube delay playing at home.

That said, I would probably splurge for a Timeline something else with presets I'd I had to do it again.

12. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

My buddy just bought the Flashback mini. We're having tons of fun with the Phone download presets. I love the Charlie Sexton (Arc Angels) Delay. I wanna buy the pedal just for that setting.

13. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I actually have a flashback on my board that I have set with a lot of repeats high in the mix that I use for swells. I haven't checked out that particular one.

14. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

You should try it. The Charlie Sexton setting is subtle and organic. Great for Groovy music and Pink Floyd kind of space. Wouldn't work with swells.
    I tried to get my Boss Reverb/delay to do the same thing. Not very well.

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I just switched amps at church and have started using my old Ibanez cd10. IMG_20190823_094324919.jpg

GoldieLocks and dombar335 like this.
  16. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I actually downloaded a Worship Tape Delay on the app for my Nemesis and I'm loving it! The flutter really fills in the sound nicely! Now I see why the El Cap is on so many worship boards.

17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Boss DD-7 -- Kinda clunky but an old standby. Very digital sounding (even the analog setting)
    Carbon Copy -- Analog, really woody sounding and somewhat natural. Its got a subtle, sort of detached sounding, decay to it. Not too out front and so very 3-D sounding.
    Memory Toy -- Nice artificial sounding tone to the delay, like synth sounding, good for stacking with other effects. Great for ambient swells and other noodley things.

18. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Boss have 3 boards 2 have DD 7's one has a DD 3.

19. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Electric~ DM2W into DD7. I like running both and getting that galloping syncopated sound.

Acoustic~Deep Blue Delay

20. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

This is a winning combo.

65 Champ Amp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.