What type of Alder sample for finishing practice?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by brokenbones, Jul 26, 2021.

1. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

The only samples in-store are from one of the big box places labeled "rustic alder" and "#1 common knotty grade for a rustic appearance". Will this type of wood yield the same results as an alder body or should I order Alder hardwood samples from a reputable Woodworking supply store? TIA

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

My wood database lists at least 6 kinds of alder but I believe that it is Western Red alder that is used for most guitar bodies.

https://www.wood-database.com/red-alder/

I save the cutoffs as I am building a guitar so my experimentation takes place on exactly the same wood. If you have bought the body you don't have that option, I would look for wood as similar in appears to yours as possible.

Btw - StewMac says that alder does not need to be pore filled - one step you don't need to worry about.

3. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

When you say big box stores I am assuming you are referring to stain colors rather than the wood itself? The only way to know what a stain will look like on a type of wood is to test in on that type, and better yet scrap from the actually piece of wood to be used. Any other type of wood will not give accurate results.

In reality, the stains names given to box store products are really more an attempt at a color specific woods were traditionally colored rather than the actual color of the wood with clear.

Eric

4. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

5. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

... mine was actually this one:

Alexandria Moulding 1 in. x 10 in. x 8 ft. Knotty Alder S4S Board

The 10" gives a better idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.