What turned you on to the Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mnutz, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Heyitsmejoeg

Heyitsmejoeg TDPRI Member

I was a strat man Les Paul's cost too . I kept hitting the pu switch and screwing up my sound making everyone made. I noticed the tele layout was different so I tried one. The rest is history I own about 15 of them. Most are partcasters . I have Baja , a roadworn (luv the sanded down neck) and an amer pro butterscotch my favorite

Minimalist518 and mnutz like this.
  2. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

My dad. I grew up around guitars and knew a bit about them, but didn't begin learning to play till I was 13. I remember when I was about 10 helping him pick out another Tele. So my first guitar was a Strat my parents got me when I was 3 or 4, then I got my first Tele a few months later, a 2010 Blacktop. Been into Teles ever since. My dad says "When you see someone pull out a Tele, you know that they mean business". Lol.

3. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Actually when i was a kid I couldn't afford a Les Paul so that was out of the question. Also a tele was cheaper than a strat so i got a tele. Turns out i was the lucky one

Heyitsmejoeg and mnutz like this.
  4. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

If she played a mop i would buy a mop...

5. Gdolly

Gdolly Tele-Meister

Amen!

brogh likes this.
  6. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't gel with my Squier CV even after putting in new pickups, but
    I really liked the guitars a member of another forum in the US was building,
    so I got him to build me a custom jobby with a belly cut, OC Duff pickups,
    Glendale Bridge and compensated brass saddles, fourway reverse
    control plate etc, all top the line gear and all for less than half the
    price of a standard Fender down here.

And boy do I love this guitar, it gets played 99% of the time now.

mnutz likes this.
  7. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Donnie (D. Clinton) Thompson of the Morells

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Watching "Ozzie and Harriet"(sp) when I was a kid. I couldn't wait until the end of the show when Ricky would do his latest record, with James and his Tele!!!

mnutz likes this.
  9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Well first off I was enthralled by Claptons strat on the back of the Layla album. But when I finally got a decent guitar, it was a Penco Tele, so I modded it to be a Micawber Clone, with all the appropriate Keef Mods. Then I added another Ibanez Tele copy, did the same mods, so mostly Keef, but my own feel when I got hold of one. They just feel right. I like strats too but I don't like the contours or the upper horn. The horn puts the guitar further away from where I like it, the teles just hang low right where I like them now I have four, two bajas, the best guitars I've ever held and two for BSB w noiseless pups. They're nice, but not quite in the same league as the Baja. Still great guitars ! Love my Teles !

10. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Mike Bloomfield, Don Rich, Steve Cropper.

RYAN1987M, PelhamSG and Stratohacker like this.
  11. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Simplicity - two pickups, two knobs and a switch and you're good to go - and versatility. I don't like country and I rarely play through a clean amp, which might suggest that a Tele wouldn't be the best choice for me, but something about it says to me, "you put in the work and this guitar will take you anywhere you want to go."

Bruxist and Minimalist518 like this.
  12. 26and385

26and385 TDPRI Member

A tele has to be the easiest of the mainstream electrics to scratch build. Never really played one before I built mine, but I'm sold. I will build another in the future, for sure. After I finish painting my twin strats, finish building the les Paul, make a few acoustics, an arch top..........

13. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Once you get your amp tone and feel set, it's Katie bar the door!

14. barncat

barncat Tele-Holic

When I was looking to buy my first electric guitar as a teenager, I wanted a Telecaster primarily because that's what Keith Richards played. The guy at the music store talked me out of it, saying that the telecaster was "for country, not rock n roll". I left with a cheap Les Paul copy. I later bought a Gibson "The Paul" model, and then switched to a Stratocaster when Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Stevie Ray and a bunch more people started playing them. Sometime in the late 80s, I saw the reformed Commander Cody band play. I was about 20 feet away from Bill Kirchen and he made a huge impression on me. Both Bill and his guitar looked like grizzled veterans and I just loved the tone he was getting from his "coal burner". Years later, when I joined a band that in a lot of ways was similar to the Cody band in style of music, I knew a Telecaster was the way to go.

richey88 likes this.
  15. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I don't know where I saw it - in a catalog, and ad, somewhere either in Jr. High or early high school (i.e. Early 70s) I saw a picture of a telecaster in Daphne or Sonic blue. That was WAY before I had any sort of decent guitar. My first tele was a '72 Custom in black - probably a 1974 or 75 - that I bought used from a next-door neighbor in college around 1977 for about $150. That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship (with the guitar -- I haven't seen Eric in about 40 years, but if you're still alive up in Wisconsin Rapids -- thanks, man!)

Minimalist518 likes this.
  16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Watching this as a 13 year old kid:

I built my own tele from a rockinger kit soon after that – couldn't afford a fender or schecter. It was stolen twice, but that's a different story.

Stratohacker and xland like this.
  17. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Guitar teacher introduced me to Roy Buchanen....... Shortly thereafter found my Warmoth Custom in a Pawnshop for $250. Now Up to 5 of 'em.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Meister

It's a great looking guitar, but that sound....NOTHING sounds like a TELE!

My Favorite guitarist of all time (Terry Kath of Chicago) played a heavily customized Tele.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Andy Summers of The Police

[​IMG]

Bruxist and Minimalist518 like this.
  20. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Keith Richards, Open D tuning. Gimme Shelter.

Heyitsmejoeg and Stratohacker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.