What turned out to be the most useful course you took in high school?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Sep 27, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What, no Arthur C Clarke or Edgar Allen Poe?
    Poe at least for alienation?
    Bummer when I finished all they produced...
    That was before HS though, can't recall a whole lot of reading at that age?

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

poe and lovecraft was in the 7-8 grades, read lots of Clarke after graduation.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Driver's Ed. And only because it got my parents a discount on car insurance.

I hated high school. I was smart, but they put me in the "vocational" track because my parents were poor and couldn't afford college tuition. After that I was completely disengaged and disinterested - negative, hopeless. I barely showed up, never took a book home. I was just wasting time, often with my head on the desk, just waiting for the bell to ring. The teachers/guidance counselors could not have cared less. They expected nothing and I delivered nothing.

My parents didn't know any better. Neither of them finished high school and my grades were ok so they didn't worry. They thought that college meant cash up front, and they didn't have cash. My teachers and guidance counselors knew better, but did not bother to tell me. I was just a stupid kid.

Eventually I got my head on straight, realized that the people running my high school were morons, worked my way through college and built a career. Exactly twenty years after high school graduation, I graduated from law school. <insert Bronx cheer emoji>

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think we're necessarily to know, which course or which instruction was the most useful.

Aha moments may come or they may not. We make decisions later in life based on a collection of teachings and experiences. Trying to reconstruct, inductively, can cause mistakes.

P Thought likes this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

in high school, in addition to ray Bradbury, I remember reading kurt Vonnegut, Nabakov, salinger, biographies of mick jagger and Janis Joplin, "a child's garden of grass", "chip Harrison scores again", Philip jose farmer, and Creem. also, I remember reading Jaws.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  6. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Sounds like other than typing skills, high school is rarely about learning usefull skills for the future . We grow as kids there and make friends and learn about how to interact. Maybe then the ability to be a good friend is the most important thing.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imwjl likes this.
  7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes but mine in the 1970s and my kids' now also prepared kids to go down better paths and get through locked gates.

The schools differ too. My wife brought up an associate complaining how her “brilliant” son at top of his class in high school is struggling in typical first semester classes where my kid is starting in calculus 2. A work associate who’s kid went to a good high school but chose a state system vs flagship campus complained everything is so easy because it was already taught in high school.

The do you or your kids live in good or broken America makes a big difference regarding making friends or a lot more. Admittedly, it is a challenge to not live in broken America. We moved from a deteriorating neighborhood to a tremendous one. It’s been a lot of work for the parents and kids.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  8. 1954 Esquire

1954 Esquire TDPRI Member

Recess!! Actually typing, use it all the time as in writing this post. Not the fastest at typing, but at least I don't have to hunt and peck.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  9. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

English - but i also loved English and literature from back in grade 3.
    Typing - sure comes in handy.
    Math - I math daily. still never used Calculus or Algebra.
    Gym - Some of my best quotes come from gym class.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  10. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Wait, you mean your not using thumbs on your phone w auto correct?

I could use a class on typing on the iphone

11. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Share a gym quote pls other than “okay ladies, get to work”

12. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Ice 9 and sirens of titan

13. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Drinking beer in the parking lot before homeroom was most beneficial!

14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

11th grade, US History. Teacher was nicknamed 'Mr Hand' by previous year students (yes this was mid 80's and was reference to Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

The assignment was to interview someone who served in WW2 and someone who stayed home. Easy assignment for me. I called Grandpa and Grandpa. Word on the street in the family (from my mom and her 3 sisters) was never talk to grandpa about the war, he didn't like doing it. So,, this was all new to me.

I'm here to tell you that fulfilling that assignment from mean 'Mr Hand' was an amazing experience and altered my understanding of just who my Grandparents were and what they lived through. My respect fro them and that entire generation (having lived through the depression as well) was increased immeasurably.

Grandpa joined the Navy on January of 1942. Met grandma while home on leave (ship on repair) in 1944....and the rest is history

Jwalker99 likes this.
  15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I don't remember reading anything in high school except for Catcher in the Rye. See, I already knew how to read. It was the other things I didn't know that interested me. I think one learns what one wants to learn, and one should learn what one wants to learn.

Curious, what eventually became your profession?

16. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Kids complain a lot though. About everything. They'll get over it. They'll stand a better chance of graduating debt-free with their choice. They will be rewarded handsomely later for a few classes that were too easy.

Do you know what they call a doctor who graduates last in his class? "Doctor."

When looking for a "good doctor", do you ask them what their class rank was, or what school they went to? I've never had a doctor, always, "Next available please."

Jwalker99 and imwjl like this.
  17. imwjl

My point was really about the high school more than the college. Mine was not the fanciest in the conference but took pride in academics. More of us got into the state's flagship college considered one of the "public ivies". Different school and era but it's same for where my kids were or are. The kid my wife brought up was in an area school district where the football team and not raising fees are more of a priority. When all schools got choked state-wide, some did better than others to maintain good academic results and just as important to maintain important resources for kids who will not go to college or who will do technical trades.

18. imwjl

Okay, here goes....

If you've updated to the latest v 13.x you can start swiping finger to improve things.

If you install Swiftkey (Microsoft) you get that swiping action, option for row of numbers to always be there, and Microsoft like Apple pays attention to privacy and security. Swiftkey also has themes for different looks but I still with boring an functional.

I can do mobile typing fastest with Swiftkey and I really appreciate that row of numbers there. You have to add that in settings.

19. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

This thread is one of the most meaningful i have ever had the privilege of participating in.

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.