What Treble Booster?

GM4500

TDPRI Member
I'm in the market for a treble booster. I've never had one before but I feel the time has come, for a variety of reasons.

However, I really don't know what one to look at. I was looking at the Catalinbread Naga Viper as it seems to get very good reviews? People seem say it doesn't produce a mid-honk, but I'm sort of looking for a treble/ mid honk - to an extent (it would be nice to have control). So I'm now not sure its the pedal for me.

Any suggestions?

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Try as many as possible. Possibly research players you like who use one, and try to find what they use if possible.

That’s a tried and true method.

I don’t have or use one myself, so I can’t make any specific recommendations.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
The mxr micro amp is cheap and great. So is the EHX lpb-1. Both a great place to start.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
Try as many as possible. Possibly research players you like who use one, and try to find what they use if possible.

That’s a tried and true method.

I don’t have or use one myself, so I can’t make any specific recommendations.
Agreed. Though I'm not sure what they use. Though I'm pretty sure I can hear one!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Agreed. Though I'm not sure what they use. Though I'm pretty sure I can hear one!

There are plenty of rig rundowns and such out there. If it is anyone famous, they probably have one, or their tech has talked about their gear, etc..

From here will get recommendations for everyone’s favorite treble booster right here, but they may (probably) have a different sound in their heads, so that will be less than useful.

Failing to find out what your hero uses, I would recommend trying different used ones that you can get most of your money back out of, if they don’t tickle your treble boost itch.

Again, I am NOT the voice of experience when it comes to them, but you might even be able to use an EQ pedal to similar effect. It would also allow you to dial in as much or little added mids.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I would recommend the Analogman Beano Boost or the Fulltone Custom Ranger (or if you can still find one, The OC75 version). I have the OC75 version. It’s pure bliss through my Cornell Romany 12 Tweed. Check the A/B video here. They both sound great but the OC75 has a brighter, more bitey, open sound to it.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Analogman Beano Boost

I will second this one - heard nothing but great things about them. Had one for a short time, but moved on because mine was battery only - I think there is an option to get one with power connection. I had another at the time, so I traded the Beano for something else.

I also had a 65 Amps Colour Boost which was exceptional - it allowed you to choose how much low-end rolloff to use, which was nice.
Coppersound Broadway is another to look at, but I have no experience with it, but I do have their FoxCatcher which is a great bluesbreaker style pedal. Based on how good the foxcatcher is, I suspect the Broadway is equally stellar.

I think for the quintessential treble booster sound, you want one with a germanium transistor in it - thats the sound, plus the eq shaping that is done by the circuit itself. Its a dumb simple pedal, not much to it.

I think I tried a Naga Viper once in the store and did not care for it - don't remember why. Not the warmth I think that the two germanium ones I tried were.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
TC Electronics Spark. It is cheap but awsome. Has a bass and treble knob + mini switch (fat/clean/middle) which gives you many options. I love mine!

51weZKk6GrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Bob at West Co has been designing some of the best circuits in rock'n'roll for many years. Super nice guy too. FYI you can choose whether you want silicon or germanium when you order. Everything I have played from West Co is best in class. He does some electronics design for David Bray Amplifiers.
1642456306611.png

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
OP…where are ya? There’s an amazing clone builder in Hamilton, Ontario. He sells Rangemaster clones for CDN$100. Cody is a good guy and ships worldwide.

Last edited:

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I was looking at the Catalinbread Naga Viper as it seems to get very good reviews? People seem say it doesn't produce a mid-honk, but I'm sort of looking for a treble/ mid honk - to an extent (it would be nice to have control). So I'm now not sure its the pedal for me.

The Naga Viper will do the traditional honky treble booster thing with the controls dimed. Turning the range control CCW introduces more bass for a flatter, less honky response. It's a really versatile treble booster.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
There is some mojo to be had in the clippiness of the transistor, but it’s not the principle thing at play here. It just makes the boost a little dirty, without the aid of some other clipping technique.

Really the treble boost is more of an idea, and the same general concept should get you what you want out of the amp (which is really the main idea - cut and boost). The ideal configuration would be bass level, bass frequency, and overall gain boost.

Not liking a manufacturer’s pre-determined bass frequency, then you can probably accomplish the effect with an EQ pedal fairly easily. Additionally, there are some rangemaster clones that have different caps/cap blend, which would make it easier to know what you want frequency wise, if you want to be all purist about it.

Really any kind of deliberate low freq cut and subsequent boost into an amp that’s working (the crucial part here) will give you the toanz.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
I've seen this thanks. Unfortunately the rigs have changed a lot in the attached videos since the recordings they're working off.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
I'm liking the Analogman Beano Boost from what I hear on some videos. I'm wondering if I should try the naga.
Sadly there aren't really many music shops around me that stock these pedals. I'm in the UK.