What to pair with a fuzz?

Mark the Moose

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah IME the amp is pretty important and makes or breaks great fuzz toanz!

For example scooped mids fuzz'z like muffs sound sorta like a hive of bees into a mid scooped BF/SF Fender but more fat through a mid forward Marshall.

Or the ZVex Fuzzolo has pretty massive bass (like many fuzz'z) so flubs out in amps that flub out if fed too much bass but sounds great through amps that can handle the bass.

More subtly and less eq based, some classic fuzz sounds only happen through big amps turned down where only the fuzz grain is heard, while small amps adding their own dirt grain mash the cool fuzzy shrapnel edges into a more molten liquidy sound.

Pushing a big amps imput has a similar effect where the power section may be loafing in the clean realm but the first preamp tube clips and softens the fuzzy goodness into blander toob toanz we may like but are less about the fuzz than the amp.

I’m playing through a hopped up 35watt Princeton reverb with a 12. I’m leaning towards putting a lower gain Marshall style overdrive in between the fuzz and the amp. Again, never played through a fuzz so I’m really taking a guess as to what will work well.

Twang Deluxe

Tele-Afflicted
You can nicely shape the tone of the fuzz with a Boss GE-7.
Or you get a TC Mojo Mojo which you can use as a Boost or OD)

19sixty3

Tele-Meister
My main fuzz, a Skreddy Rover Fuzz (Tone Bender MkII circuit), goes into a Whirlwind phaser. Next in chain is an always on JHS MG into an Archer.

ICTRock

Tele-Afflicted
treble boosters like the rangemaster
ring modulators like the green ringer
octavers like the jonny octave
sub octave like the parasit u-235
crossover distortion like the zvex machine