What to get hardwarewise

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by robert donithan2, Sep 23, 2019.

1. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Holic

cubase daw
    I have a dell optiplex 9010 and really don't know where to start as far as having the computer make cubase faster and able to handle large projects.I will provide any info you would need about the computer properties etc. Lately the computer has made cubase elements10 freeze- have false popup warnings and symptoms of cpu overload...i would like to buy some add on or hardware for the computer to solve this..it has 256gb ssd and an extra 500gb ssd. 8 gb ram.Intel i7...

2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I'd start by maxing the RAM out so you are not doing so much paging to the HD. ( which I assume is optimised )

Have you checked the CPU core temp, I pulled my PC apart to clean accumulated dust and fluff out of the fans and heat sinks and after putting it back together it was running much slower and stalling.

Dr Google suggested a hot CPU so I downloaded a small app that reports core temp and sure enough it was at critical levels, a trip to the local electronics shop for a tube of silver heat sink paste cured it and the world was rosy once again.

MDent77 and robert donithan2 like this.
  3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

How much stuff is going on? If you have a few virtual instruments and other plugins open, 8gb ram will be pushed pretty easily. I have 12gb ram and if I push it it'll act up.

M

4. robert donithan2

15695041187043969236871257906014.jpg 15695041187043969236871257906014.jpg

Attached Files:

5. robert donithan2

Here's some images of the project.I fooled around with various interfaces and drivers' settings and once in awhile it will keep it from stalling.When loading cubase it gets hungup on an instrument called MTPDK2 Drumkit.When loading cubase and creating a new project it acts normal.

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

It's well worth investigating the CPU temp when the PC is under a load. This article should be helpful.

Also, I would be upgrading RAM to 16GB. It helps speed up working conditions on the PC.

There are a few different configurations for that model due to form factor. Yet they all have a capacity of at least 16GB RAM.

MODEL-------------------------------SLOTS-------MAX RAM----RAM SPEED
    OptiPlex 9010 All-In-One ----- 2-- 16Gb 1333/1600MHz
    OptiPlex 9010 (MT, DT, SFF)--- 4-- 32Gb 1333/1600MHz
    OptiPlex 9010 (USFF) --------- 2-- 16Gb 1333/1600MHz

I typically like to match the RAM (same manufacturer) but in many cases it's no longer necessary as long as it's compatible memory for the system.

Companies as Crucial or Kingston Technology would have the compatible RAM, at a reasonable price.

robert donithan2 likes this.
  7. robert donithan2

I have 4 cores and 8 gb ram i7 Windows Pro 10. I guess i made the mistake of ordering a matched set of 2gb to add the the existing 4gb the computer came with. The slots are filled after that.

8. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Robert,

Are you using an interface or the onboard soundcard?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.