1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to fill a LARGE void with?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nakama, Aug 9, 2011.

1. nakama

nakama TDPRI Member

As far as the sander goes, I guess I will just have to find the time to head out to my folks place.

The rest of your statement is ALMOST entirely true. The person that cares though is me. Does it need to be entirely to spec? No! But for me this Is a personal challenge, which results in personal disappointment and personal achievement. I set out for a goal and I want to the best I can to achieve that goal. Came across some hurtles ( dissapointment ) and I am simply looking for some guidance in achieving my goal. I'm not looking to please other people.

I hope you don't take this response as defensive or rude as I did not take any form of insult from yours. I am simply letting you know where I come from!

2. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Ditto! :lol:

3. nakama

nakama TDPRI Member

I've heard of issues with it shrinking and expansion and contraction of the wood eventually working the bondo out. Does this hold true, or do you think it's a safe rout?

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks, blowtorch for the reverse Coca-Cola douche--through my nose. Spewed it all over my desk. Funny, but wrong kind of void. Wasn't somebody looking for a good name for their band a couple of days ago in the Bad Dog Cafe?? Or maybe a good David Allan Coe song title?

Anyway, nakama, lighten up on yourself. I don't mean to devalue your disappointment, its real, and we've all been there before, but the advice you got from some really talented builders is right on track, (using hand tools, or if you can borrow them, power) and you'll have a great looking axe in no time, "done in 5 minutes, forgotten in 6"--great advice. There is great satisfaction in kicking the **** out of a boo-boo that was trying to wreck your project. Don't ask me how I know this!

5. R. Stratenstein

Here's a product that is intended for wood, although I think it's exactly the same as Bondo. I can vouch for its EXTERIOR performance, so I think it'll probably hold on a finished guitar that never gets rained on. Your local big-box store will have it. You can anchor it with small holes drilled into the bottom of the dings, if you want to really anchor it.

Attached Files:

6. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

A rasp and a coping saw? :eek:

Do you have a router?

7. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

I filled a really large hand chiseled swimming pool on an old tele body and turned it into an Esquier. I used Durhams Rock Water based putty. It hardened great, My attempts with wood filler were failures, as it does not set well when used thickly. Sand, fill the pits and marks, sand, prime and paint.

8. nakama

nakama TDPRI Member

No, unfortunately I have nothing with a power cord, but that is also part of the joy in this project for me. Even my drill is an antique hand crank drill. Sounds crazy, I know.

9. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

re-cut the mistake even bigger, only square, with a big flat file for example, or even a knife. then cut a square wood plug for it and glue it in. Don't bother with filler.

10. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Well, I have to admire your determination using hand tools. I rely heavily on many power tools, jigs and templates. That doesn't mean it can't be done. There are some killer builds out there using hand tools. I wish I could find it there is a great You Tube video of a guy building a Tele from some old barn wood using a hand saw and chisel, etc. It was cool.

I'll second Ragtime Dan's suggestion. You should be able to make a pretty clean square notch with a rasp and sand paper, a good sharp chisel be your friend or a nice block plane.

Sometimes a picture helps illustrate better. Here is an example where I had to do a similar type of fill on a current build. I don't know if that helps or not.

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Here 'tis friend :)

Man, don't be telling him stuff like this and swelling his head. Now there'll be no livin' with him :p :)

12. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

Cut it straight and glue a piece of wood back, reshape. Avoid endgrain joints they always show up after a while...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Simply said, make it a three piece body instead of a two piece...

13. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

14. nakama

nakama TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to think about it today and hopefully get started on it tonight. I'll post pics as soon as it's done

15. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Thanks Dave, that's the video I was thinking of. I forgot he did use some power tools in there, still a lot a hand work that I'm far too lazy to attempt with a pretty cool end product.

And seriously there's already no living with me, just ask my wife :lol:. With all the great builders around here I can only dream to achieve some of the results they get. I just build my guit fiddles and share my experience, most of what I have done I just stole from other guys on this site.

16. R. Stratenstein

Hey, Everybody knows you can't do any decent woodworking with only handtools! (Goddard & Townsend mahogany secretary ca. 1740--~$8-12 million);)

Attached Files:

17. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Actually now that you say that, I have used Durahms to fix some nasty wood boo boos- I do belive I go for that over bondo if you choose to do so- I know it doesnt shrink, my kitchen floor was fixed with it 4 years ago and help fine under traffic...... heavey traffic!!

18. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

In the words of our hero, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." :lol:

19. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

Freeman's Tuf Fil is pretty good for filling in mistakes. For really big voids I'd glue in some wood then use Tuf Fil, Bondo, etc. to bring the hole "up to grade" so you can sand it to match the surrounding area. The good thing about Tuf Fil is that when dry it has the characteristics of the surrounding wood. It also doesn't shrink. When sanded and sealed it's a good platform for an opaque finish. You can Google "Freeman Tuf Fil" or "Freeman Tuf Carve" to find more info and dealers. (Note: Bondo is cheaper. I've read on this forum that DAP Plastic Wood also is a good filler.)

20. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

That's where Tele #2 comes in. :)

No one hits a home run first time up to bat. Just do the best you can, learn from your mistakes, and have fun. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.