What to do with TRRI Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jeffender, Sep 5, 2016.

1. jeffender

jeffender TDPRI Member

Hi folks,
    I recently acquired a TRRI cabinet (no amp/no speakers) in great condition. At the same time, I've done one amp kit successfully (5E3 tweed deluxe) and I'm really keen to do a blackface vibroverb from a kit. I don't think the vibroverb chassis will fit inside the TRRI, at least not in any neat way. Any recommendations on a blackface or silver face chassis that has the dimensions of the '65 TRRI but that I could easily mod to install the guts of a vibroverb? If I were to do a conversion on this, I'd ultimately want to replace the baffle with a single 15". Could be a fun project, but maybe I'm just opening pandora's box and should keep it simple and go get a vibroverb kit/cabinet and sell this TRRI cab? What do y'all think?

Thanks!

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I would go totally wacky, & (try to) fit two small chassis in there - a 18 M style & a some sort of tweed style - each driving a speaker

Play in stereo (daisy chaining, or ABY or using a stereo effect like reverb or delay or whatever)

Crazy - but fun

jvin248 and jeffender like this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Gave one to a friend who put a red knob Showman in with two heavy duty 12s. It is pretty loud and clean. I think most Showman chassis will fit.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Did you build the tweed amp from a kit following directions, or do you have an electronics background?

If the former I suggest using it as an end table or put a back on it, lay it down and use it for a planter. ;-)

If you understand amp design AND can find a bare metal chassis to fit the cab and have the right tools, you can buy an eyelet board, punch the chassis for a Vibroverb tube complement, controls etc, order transformers from Mercury Magnetics and other parts from Bourne, Angela or any of several suppliers and build a Vibroverb circuit on a Twin chassis and make it a 2x12 (or change the baffle to a 1x15).

You'll need the proper test equipment, tools as mentioned, proper lead dress procedures, transformer orientation and spacing and every other part of amplifier design.

To be honest, I don't like the amp kit concept (unless you use it to just buy cabinet/prepunched chassis and transformers) because the "paint by numbers" way of doing things gives the "assembler" (assembling a kit does not make you an amp builder) a false sense of knowledge and status.

I did buy one - a 5E7 Bandmaster - but only because it was on sale, and I deleted the cabinet, speakers, and every electrical component except a few caps. I had a lightweight cabinet built but I gathered up the important components and designed/built a modified version.

One other thought - a reissue cab is VERY heavy and not made` to the same quality standards (or using the same materials) as the originals. I'd sell it - it's not a great cabinet if you plan on taking the time to build a custom amp.

jeffender likes this.
  5. ianb3432

ianb3432 TDPRI Member

A twin reverb size chassis can be had for a reasonable price on eBay. Since you already have the cabinet, I'd say just build the Vibroverb circuit into the Twin Chassis. Last year I built a 5E3 circuit into the chassis for a JTM45...at the end of the day after putting it in a JTM45 head cab, I basically had what looked identical to a Marshall head but sounded like a 5E3...if you don't mind maybe having to drill a couple holes to fit the transformers properly, and maybe having a couple couple extra tube socket holes that aren't being used and a couple of of non-functioning knobs if the controls aren't exactly the same, I'd go that route.

6. jeffender

jeffender TDPRI Member

Thanks Silverface... You bring up good points. I don't have an electronics background and I built the 5E3 from a kit. It is a hobby I just started, but I'm very keen on learning the electronics and theory behind what makes tube amps work, and I'm actively studying that stuff with some of Funk and Weber's books. But I'm really just a neophyte right now. And I agree with you about getting a false sense of knowledge and status, I'm really cautious to not do that. Its a big part of the reason I hesitate to do a non-standard build like I'm suggesting above, it probably would be biting off way more than I can chew given my current capabilities in amp building. At the same time, maybe it could be a good learning experience? Sounds like the cabinet isn't very good quality. What do you think I could expect for it if I sold it? $150? $200? - Thanks!

7. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Mather Cabs sells a Twin Reverb cab for $275 and I would say his are pretty much the benchmark for a quality cab. I would think something like the OSB made TRRI cab to go for $100-$150 but I personally wouldn't pay more than $100 for something like that.

jeffender likes this.
  8. jeffender

jeffender TDPRI Member

Wow. Worth way less than I thought. Probably better to make a planter out of it as suggested elsewhere!

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Really I'd recommend building the amp you want and the right cabinet.
    If you use a TR chassis that's pre punched I'm thinking the PT cutout is too big, no biggy just make up a piece of metal that bolts in with the smaller cutout.
    But faceplates are a little harder, not to make but to finish. You can get those custom done though.
    So by the time you screw around you can go to the lumber yard, buy some pine and build the cab you need.
    Doesn't every one want to learn how to cut finger joints and apply tolex? I've always sucked at wood working but I do it. Actually enjoy it now.
    Maybe it's the glue? :)

jeffender likes this.
  10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

If that TR cabinet is still available, I'd be interested. I have a Dual Showman Reverb head I'd like to put in a Twin cabinet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.