1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to do with this lead weight?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tomnardozza, Feb 27, 2021.

1. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

We've all heard the tele/boat paddle comparison, but I have a boat anchor. Recently got a beautiful blackguard 52 reissue with the Korina body. It is absolutely stunning, and a great guitar, BUT.... it weighs more than a 70s les paul (maybe more than les himself), and it's a poly.finish that will never age. (I like the aged look).

So, I ordered a lightly aged ash body from MJT, sent pics of the color to match, and will replace in 10-12 weeks. My dilemma is what to do with the current body. Do I save it so I still have a "complete limited edition" guitar? Do I sell it because I'm keeping it forever anyway? (We all know that usually never happens). What would you do?

2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I would tell you to keep that one complete, then build a partscaster that is more too your liking. No reason to tear apart a guitar that is perfectly good. Use that one to play specifically when you are sitting down, if you play live I would tell you to use that guitar for the sit down, touchy-feel part of the show where you play a bunch of slow sensitive songs.

El Tele Lobo and tomnardozza like this.
  3. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I would try to sell the "whole" guitar as it may have some interest to those who look for '52 Reissue limited editions. Then find yourself a guitar that is more to your liking in every respect. If you follow through with your plan to swap bodies, I'd keep the original heavyweight body so you can restore the guitar to its original condition before selling it (when that time comes). Partscasters can be great guitars, but they rarely have greater value than the genuine Fender product they resemble.

nojazzhere and tomnardozza like this.
  4. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I've thought about selling, then buying a regular 52 RI, problem is, by the time you add seller fees, tax, shipping.....even at identical prices to begin with, it seems like having an extra body is cheaper when all said and done.

5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would throw it up on craigslist and see what happens, then go shopping for a new one....actually I would keep it if I liked everything about it except the weight and maybe look at getting a 2nd lighter one too (like a vintera tele model...)

BobbyMac and tomnardozza like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

First question.....how much does your "boat anchor" weigh? Are these considered collectible or sought after? If "special" to someone else, and worth a good price, I'd consider selling and buying a lighter weight guitar, with your personal preferences. "Models" don't matter to me.....what I want is what I like, regardless of status. When you say yours is "stunning, and a great guitar".....I don't see how that can be IF it weighs too much......that's just too important a criteria for me.
    Let it go......;)

Tommy Biggs, BobbyMac and tomnardozza like this.
  7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

I mean, how heavy are we talking? The dried weight of White Limba is, on average, 35 pounds per cubic foot, where as Red Alder is on average 28 pounds per cubic foot, and swamp ash is, at it's heaviest, roughly 33.6 pounds per cubic foot, so it is often going to be heavier than your traditional Fender woods, although korina/Limba could very technically be considered traditional, there are a handful of korina stratocasters made around 1963-ish, around the same time they were experimenting with mahogany, but I digress. I would keep it stock and make your own partscaster.

nojazzhere, BobbyMac and tomnardozza like this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

So, I ordered a lightly aged ash body from MJT, sent pics of the color to match, and will replace in 10-12 weeks. My dilemma is what to do with the current body. Do I save it so I still have a "complete limited edition" guitar? Do I sell it because I'm keeping it forever anyway? (We all know that usually never happens). What would you do?[/QUOTE]

It’s not the guitar you want and not just because you don’t like the pickups or tuners! The body and neck are the guitar! You’ll hardly ever play it as it is. Out it complete to someone who likes it’s features and buy something you like and will play.

nojazzhere and tomnardozza like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.