What to do with my AV64?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sinner1980, Mar 30, 2018.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

A good set up can really make a guitar come alive...it's all about tweaking it to find the perfect balance that suits your personal playing style.Bringing guitars to someone for a set up can be expensive though and they might not always nail the feel you are looking for.That's why I learned how to set up my guitars myself which is really not hard if you are patient and are willing to do some trial and error to find the sweet spot.Guitars always need tweaking especially if the weather conditions change quite a bit.

oldfish, BrandonIke and Sinner1980 like this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get a good setup. In fact, get all your guitars a good setup.

3. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Yep, the other two have been set up already. I took the 64 with me when I moved to China and never had it set up properly afterwards.

moosie likes this.
  4. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

I think you should sell it and give it to someone who will actually play it and have the love she deserves
    At the end you'll be making a profit out of it too. Some extra cash is always welcomed

5. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Of course you'll have to get a good setup first to decide what to do, that's the first thing to do before deciding anything imo, a setup it's always necessary especially in high end guitars like that.
    Maybe a fret leveling based on your preference.

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

If I were to try to sell any av I would try to time the market

If there is a lot of moaning about the ao not being up to snuff you may find the price going up to a peak about 18 months in

I also found that sometimes it is me not the guitar, and I was at the wrong point in developing when I owned it. This is particularly so with cars. As a teen I would hate my current car for all the reasons I now love it

Fenderfiend likes this.
  7. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

A lot of people think a $2,000 guitar shouldn’t need anything done to it. Sorry, but these people are naive. $2k really isn’t much money anymore.

Regardless of price paid, a guitar is going to need a setup unless the builder is well versed in telepathy. Especially if the guitar is built in California and then shipped to the Midwest in the winter.

All of my guitars go through a process when I get them:

1.) Fret Level (You’d be surprised...or maybe not)
    2.) Nut Slot Cleanup
    3.) Full Setup

After that the last step is to play the crap out of them.

The first time each guitar experiences the dead of winter it gets a fret end cleanup to take care of sprout.

People need to remember that a guitar is a finely tuned machine that is always moving and reacting to the environment. You can’t just set it and forget it.

An example is yesterday I pulled my Les Paul out to play for the first time in a month and a half or so. Due to the seasonal change I instantly noticed the relief was a bit much. An 1/8th of a turn of the truss rod and it was ready to go.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    moosie likes this.
  8. Fenderfiend

Fenderfiend Tele-Meister

Yeah, move on. Some relationships just don't work out. (Trust me, I know :) )
    It's not like you don't have anything else to play.
    Sell it, and apply the proceeds to more gear or another axe -just be a little more selective with the next one. :)

9. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Just picked her up again. The tech said the neck needed a good trussrod adjustment as it wasn’t straight at all.. He actually told me that he loves the tele, one of the better ones he has come across.

Tested her in the shop shortly and instantly noted the difference. Took her back home and played it more thoroughly and it plays and feels a LOT better and better than I expected. Having trouble to put her down actually...

Having played for nearly 20 years and having had a fair share of guitars, I know the importance of a proper set up.

I just didn’t expect that it would be this much of an improvement on this particular guitar. Thankfully it was and I’m going to give her a lot more playtime the coming weeks to see how we get along now.

Tobias, rze99, moosie and 3 others like this.
  10. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

If you change your mind, send me a PM...

Sinner1980 likes this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've had this ongoing debate for about 2 or 3 years about my guitars: two Teles, two Strats and an absolutely gorgeous Les Paul. At one time I was sure that I would sell my 50s NOS Tele which I special ordered and wanted to love but just didn't seem to play "right". I had the same feeling towards the Les Paul you describe with the 64. I really wanted to love it. It's an R8 and it sounds amazing in addition to being beautiful but it's neck is big and round and not much to my liking.
    So... I worked on the 50s Tele myself. I stopped trying to match the saddles with the fretboard radius and just adjusted them to feel. I like it much better now and am no longer considering selling it. As for the Les Paul, I haven't really decided. I could never replace it if I let it go. R8s cost a fortune now and I would never spend that much money on a guitar again. Still, it's rarely played.
    BTW, I love the AV64's. Probably one of my favorite guitars ever and that includes my CS guitars. I also love rosewood more than maple. Different strokes.
    Lastly, I keep thinking I have too many guitars. All I need is a Tele and a Strat. If I was starting out again I would have an AV64 or American Professional series Tele and a Strat with an HSS configuration (22 frets). That's it. (Plus acoustics of course).

Sinner1980 likes this.
  12. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear that the tele is working for you now. I feel you regarding the R8. I’ve had a lot of great Gibsons but in the end I never really ‘connected’ with them, although they were great guitars all ended up being sold and I embraced Fenders from there on.

I agree on the tele and strat being the only electrics I’ll ever need. I want to get a master build CS 62 strat eventually and that will be it for me, 2 teles and 2 strats.

A lot of people rave about the AV64’s and obviously there must be good reasons for it. Mine is the most vibrant/lively guitar out of the bunch I own; acoustically loud and very resonant. Besides that, the pickups sound amazing. I think I definitely should keep hold of her, especially since they’re discounted and it’s my favourite color.

13. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

as sony wolf said learn to set up your tele buy a book look on you tube all the info is out there and its realy not that hard and you get to save some cash .go for it. you really need to know these things if you have several guitars. all the best oldfish.

14. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Other than a refret I do my own setup. Not knocking anyone who doesn't, but would suggest getting comfortable enough to do it yourself. I don't have tools anymore to dress and crown frets, but even that process is pretty simple. The huge advantage to this is recognising what your guitar's limitations will be. Every guitar is different as we all know.

Fenderfiend and h4ck.b0x7 like this.
  15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My brother from another mommy. :D

Far as I'm concerned, most every guitar could benefit from a fret dress. Some feel fine, but after a proper levelling, they feel much better than 'fine'. It doesn't matter how expensive the guitar is, it's still wood and wire, subject to humidity, and varying wood densities, and varying pressure when installing new frets.

There's often one watershed day in spring and fall, where the guitar changes. I'll play it today, and it's great, perhaps just been setup. But tomorrow it'll feel like crap.

I set up each of my guitars every couple of months when changing strings, so they never get too far out of whack.

h4ck.b0x7 and rze99 like this.
  16. Fenderfiend

Fenderfiend Tele-Meister

Good deal!
    Glad you didn't listen to me!
    I've had a couple of guitars that responded tremendously to the slightest adjustments. (Action and/or relief)
    This nearly counts as a NGD for you!

Sinner1980 likes this.
  17. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

It’s been 3 months and unfortunately the AV64 hasn’t seen much playtime at all and the 52 and my strat have been all I’ve been playing.

Sucks because I know that it’s in fact a great guitar and I love the fiesta red finish but have decided that I’m going to let her go and see if I can add a 60’s style strat to my stable instead.

18. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

You sure your want to get a 60's Strat? It sounds to me you are not a RW player. I am the same, I have a great CS '62 Custom Telecaster and a MB '63 Strat and they both are really outstanding instruments. But I don't play 'em much at all, my maple neck Tele and Strats are getting played >90%. I just love the feel of the maple necks much more I guess.

19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear that sinner, but I do understand your position.
    Hadn't I already sold my 65 strat I would have more than happily grabbed your fiesta red, she is awesome.
    Waiting for your next NGD thread ;)

Sinner1980 likes this.
  20. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had guitars that I wanted to love but just did not-I sell them

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.