What to do with all this gear? (more pics on pg. 3)

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Professor Bill, Jan 13, 2020.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Welcome! I like your plan for a great Tele and Waterloo acoustic.

I’m down to one acoustic guitar, one mandolin and one ukulele.

However, I’m working out what I like best in electrics. I have three Teles, a Strat, and a Jazzmaster. I also have a Yamaha bass.

My guess is that I’ll end up with an American Original 60s Tele, an AO 60s Strat, and an American Professional P-Bass. All from the used market. All under 7.5 lbs.

I will keep my Fender Pro Junior IV, my Yamaha THR10C, and probably get a Fender Rumble 100 Bass amp.

I will just give my current gear to friends and family. I hate selling gear.

Professor Bill likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Keep them all, but consider a trade on the SC-2 to me. If so, an Offset mahogany Tele is in your future.... :)

NewKid and Deeve like this.
  3. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Does your headstock have the pointy horn on it?? (Nods yes)
    AFAIK all series 1 SC guitars had hardtail bridge with crinkle black finish. (These are the ones without the pointy horn, as per my SB-2 bass)
    These were made only for about 3 years, if I recall. They were also only done in 3 colours: red, white, and blue (and black in limited amounts).
    Series 2 (with the pointy horn, after about 1985) had more variation: bridges were black crinkle or chrome, and as I see above with or without whammy bar.

But I have been wrong before.:eek:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

18 guitars is not a small collection, but it sounds like you've got some interesting pieces.

5. rsquare

rsquare TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice collection. Not sure what to tell you, besides send the Carr amp and the MJT Teles to me. :D

7. rsquare

rsquare TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hypothetically, were you decide to sell, what would be your strategy?
    One at a time? Via the web or locally? Are you interested in harvesting substantial equity?
    Many of your pieces may not be as marketable as you think. The shipping costs and the task of effectively packing (ugh!) and getting paid successfully might be more challenging than you suspect.
    Perhaps you would be served better by sourcing online appraisals, donating the pile to a receptive charity, and taking the deduction? Or just trucking the pile down to your local public school for a bit of redemption and call it a day.
    My experience tells me that generally GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is not curable and only minimally manageable.

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There's always a Dylan lyric that works - "Someone says you're in the wrong place, my friend. You'd better leave."

That IS a nice collection. 18 is way too many for me, and I AM looking to gig and play with people. I guess the question is WHY do you want to downsize - taking up too much space? Tired of maintaining a small shop's worth of guitars? Feels indulgent? There's nothing sinful about owning 18 old guitars, it is called collecting for a reason.
    I suspect that you could cut that number in half and not miss them too much, and have several grand in your pocket to increase your amp collection, maybe buy a guitar you've always wanted. Then next year re-assess again (including the fancy new guitar!)

I wouldn't be too hasty to get rid of your stuff, though - once it's gone it will feel really foolish to have to go re-purchase the stuff you miss!

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the club. The answer always is: The correct number to keep is just one more than you have now.

10. Professor Bill

Professor Bill TDPRI Member

This one's early, with the original trem. It's got the first phase headstock (no point) and the Schaller tuners that look kind of like Fender F-style ones. It has the black crinkly control plate and trem cover. IIRC, the serial number dated it to 1982 or early 83. I've seen a lot of early SCs with the trem (which I do think is better than a Fender trem, but I tend to rest my hand on the bridge, so it's always going out of tune). I've had the hardtail SC-2 (and it was lighter by a pound or more) but it didn't play as well and the pickups didn't have the sparkle that this guitar has. Every time I think I should sell it, I plug it in, and then I change my mind.

2 Headed Goat and kbold like this.
  11. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome! and PICS BRO!!!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  12. Professor Bill

Not everything... but some highlights.

Attached Files:

kbold likes this.
  13. Professor Bill

And a couple more...

Attached Files:

14. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Yea, I love the look and feel of the mjt stuff. Maybe just put some more parts and time into those until they are what you want.

15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.