1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to do with a bunch of extra picks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by David Meiland, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Or inside your acoustic guitar(s)! ;)

Not helpful to the OP's question, but I keep a Lucky Strike ashtray that an ex-girlfriend gave me on my project studio desk that stuffed full of Fender Heavy picks, so I always have a fresh pick when recording. You can find old ashtrays on eBay, and that's a much healthier use for them their original purpose.

2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have bowls of picks in my work area. When I remember I toss a small bag of them in with any guitar I sell.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

One of my good friends ( now passed) years ago made me this:

A little wooden treasure chest box with a D-28 style acoustic cutout glued to the top ( w/my name on guitar!)
    It is my Cool Pick Museum

a collection of cool looking, funky, novelty, artist picks ( picks I will never use- some I wrongly thought I'd like)

20210117_165907.jpg 20210117_165810.jpg
    -
    ( I have cookie tin accessories box for strings, pick, capos, tools, cleaners- stuff I do use)

P Thought, MickM and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

Amazing how many picks I find in the dryer.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Recycling bin.

6. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

I am reminded of all the needy children in the world that are forced to finger-style.
    (que the slow depressing music, and begin the cross-fading scenes of crying children and worried mothers.)
    "Won't you help these children to play speed metal? For just a few pennies a day you can end the want and suffering. We use your valuable donation to buy plectrums for the children, our future. With your help, by the time their hair is long and they are old enough to get tattoos legally, we can ensure the end of fingerstyle, and keep the sale of hot pickups and pointy guitars thriving."

Or, you can stuff them under your pickguards. Looks and feels terrible, but at some point it'll be like hidden treasure when you take that pickguard off.

Or, punch a hole in them and make them into earrings.

Or, use them as a unique spinner for bass fishing. That actually has some promise.

7. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Cool...I'm not the only one.

I've used Fender Mediums for as long as I can remember....I'm 73....been playing axe (drummer previously) actively since about 1972.
    I have about a dozen or more of various ones I keep in a small match box.
    There's a few copy tunes I play (I'm just a rhythm player) that feel and sound better with a pick that is a bit more flexible for smoother attack.

I haven't played a live gig since 1980 so I don't have any adoring fans to throw them to when finishing my 20 song set list.

Carry on...interesting thread.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Blister and brookdalebill like this.
  8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Hint; I work in pharmacies. Most of the older ones have a few bottles of old pills sitting around.

9. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I was a weirdo and had pick gas a couple years ago. I have them sorted into different ziplock bags. 100 orange tortex, 50 yellow tortex ,
    50 red tortex, a big mixed bag of the flex tortex, and a bag of random fenders and stuff. After saying I would never buy picks again....I found out I liked the green tortex best but only have 3 of them haha.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have crafted these cork-board collages before, using wine corks and beer bottle caps.

I can only imagine that you could buy a reasonable sized cork bulletin board (they sell some really small ones too) and some Elmer's Glue, and construct something eye-catching and memorable to hang on your wall.

:)

cork board art.jpg

11. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Find that idiot who makes guitars out of various stuff and send them to him.

12. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

That's an excellent question. (Mail me the Jazz III's).

Fiesta Red likes this.
  13. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I am in the exact same boat, and somehow I've ended up w/ a ton of polypropylene caps.

14. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

continue acquiring picks and then you can have the largest pick collection in the entire world!

15. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

Put them in a small jar. Set it on your desk; call it a paper weight.

16. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I am going to glue them to a small table. I'll probably put a glass top over it,and keep it in my practice room.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  17. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Mostly, since the odds of matching what you have with others' preferences are so low, you might just as well throw them away. I don't lose picks, so I rarely buy many to begin with, and the ones I have are good picks. Online merchants often throw in some picks, and people give them to me, and those all end up in the trash. I freaking hate clutter, so I'm quick to discard picks. Most guitarists I know alreay have too many picks themselves, so who wants more, unless it's a Blue Chip or other special pick.

18. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’ve got my enormous variety of extra picks in a wooden box that my youngest daughter made for me, on the end table next to my recliner. Anyone who needs a pick is free to rummage through it and find one. I even go in there and find something weird to use now and then, just to add a little variety to playing.

19. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

If still available I'll pay

20. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Think I called dibs first... Maybe he's "picky?"

:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.