1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to do when you can't try before you buy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cloodie, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

I'm in a situation where I'm thinking of buying an amp that's a few times more expensive that any I've purchased before. It's a Tone King Falcon Grande. Basically I'm buying a new house and given the money I'm paying out on initial costs etc I thought I'd go for it and throw in what I'd consider to be a dream amp as well :)

Anyway, that's all well and good but none of the guitar stores near me sell it so I'd be unable to try it anywhere. Over the past few weeks though I've sat through quite a few videos, read various forum posts etc and I'm certain it's the one but has anyone else splashed out without trying out an amp in this price range?

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

have you heard one in person if not this one before?

if you are buying on reputation then I would want to just ask loads of questions.

The only amp I bought without trying it was my Yamaha THR100HD and that’s because the little 10 was so good I knew it’s be fine.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Cloodie and Fretting out like this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

I’ve jumped in a couple times, and even just a few minutes ago I pulled the trigger on a set of monitors waaaay above my comfort zone. I’ve found that high priceD, quality items at a good price retain value and I can always move them along for minimal loss(even profit) in the future if I am truly unhappy... as long as I feel like it’s decent buy, quality item and I’ve done my homework, no regrets.

Cloodie and Fretting out like this.
  4. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

YouTube videos and word of mouth, failing that, I just deal with it. I can always sell it.

fjblair, Cloodie and Fretting out like this.
  5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Depends how much I think I want it. Usually I buy.

Cloodie likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Do as much questioning and research.

Then I cross my fingers

I’ve made multiple online guitar purchases and haven’t gotten one yet that was unacceptable

Depends on the price range too, if you’re gonna spend over a couple thousand dollars I’d make a trip to check it out, like these high priced guitars on reverb like 10’000 I’d have my bottom on a plane or road trip , I think it’s crazy if someone would shell out that money but not buy an airplane ticket for a couple hundred dollars or gas in their car

Cloodie likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I went thru the same deliberations before buying my Sky King. I’m no heir, so other than a car or house, it was probably one of the most expensive items I’ve bought.
    I did manage to find a floor model in like-new condition with a full warranty and an ability to return it if I didn’t like it. (I loved it)

So, as long as you can return it if you don’t like it, get it and see if it can convince you to keep it. If you can’t return it, you’ll take a small hit and have the hassle of selling it so that’s a tougher call. But it may be a forever-amp.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Marc Morfei and Cloodie like this.
  8. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

You don’t buy! (Unless you can just return it if you don’t like it.)

FortyEight, Marc Morfei and Cloodie like this.
  9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, done it twice. Only because
    1) I wanted to by new (used are impossible to find)
    2) I'm in Australia and the amps were only available in the USA.

One was a new Polytone Mini Brute amp
    The other was a Henriksen Jazz amp.
    The first amp a Polytone, I bought from a reputable store in NYC, Zoo Music if I recall. It travelled nervously all the way to me very well packed and arrived unscathed.
    As I was happy with the first amp, I used the same guy in the same store in NYC and ordered the Henriksen.
    I had never tried these amps out personally, only going by research, recordings and as many Youtube videos as possible.
    It was nerve wrecking as I never purchase on line at these values (1k each) thinking it would go horribly wrong which it didn't thankfully.
    If I could have got these amps in Australia, I would have travelled to view and test them in person as I always do and to avoid buying Sight Unseen as I had to do for these amps.

Good luck!

Cloodie likes this.
  10. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If there is a favorable return policy for the purchase I'd do it - I have a couple times in the past with amps. Especially if its a good and fair deal.

Luckily I wasn't disappointed either time. Actually 3 times.

Cloodie likes this.
  11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buy from a place with a really good return policy. I can only recall two amps I’ve ever returned, but I was glad I was able to.

uriah1, Marc Morfei and Cloodie like this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought my Dual Showman Reverb head sight unseen & unheard, but I bought it from a friend I trust who was in a bind, so there's the caveat. BTW, it does a awesome through my 2x15 bass cab with Peavey BW's, but like an unrefined brother in law, it's only semi useful & can't really take it anywhere. Unlike the in law, I can sell it...

Cloodie likes this.
  13. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Wow, and amps are about as "personal" as a piece of gear can get.
    Two thoughts:
    I have played a Continental and an Imperial, and found each to be very impressive.
    There are very many high-end builders out there right now. What can you get ahold of to sample that covers similar tonal terrain?

Cloodie likes this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The TK Falcon Grande is expensive enough I'd consider a day trip to try one out, maybe a weekend if somewhere Mrs wanted to go. If out of the question, good advice on return policies has already been provided. Happy hunting!

Cloodie likes this.
  15. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Bring the Mrs along??? I've told her it only costs £200 and as proof of that she can see it's an old fashioned thing and not very modern at all :D

Marc Morfei likes this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

LOL...you are where you are o_O.

Cloodie likes this.
  17. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

What do I do?

- tons of research
    - if possible talk to actual owners of that model, find out where and how they use theirs, and any issues
    - more research
    - understand the honeymoon/disappointed phases, and give the product ample e time in several different real world scenarios

Cloodie likes this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure the vendor has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

This does not mean "if the item is not as advertised/described."

It means you can return the guitar for any reason--including you simply don't like it.

You may have to pay return shipping, but that's part of the risk of buying sight unseen.

iAlso Muy Importante! Make sure all returns are for a refund of the purchase price. Any vendor that accepts returns for "store credit only" is a shyster. Don't waste your time, because you may be wasting your money.

Tim S and Cloodie like this.
  19. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Just an update on this. I found that it was impossible to try the amp anywhere as it seems nowhere had them in stock and stores would only order them from the manufacturer when they received orders themselves. So I placed an order in August but I'm looking at a delivery date of November. Can't wait for it.

Geo, Tim S and dlaroe like this.
  20. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

You're awesome for updating this. It looks like a beautiful amp.

My first thought reading through was to build one because you can always change it to suite you but anything close to the Falcon Grande in kit form from Tube-Town or similar it'd be just as much.

It'll be a nice early Christmas present!

Cloodie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.