1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What To Do? Rusted Truss Rod Nut/1968 Maple Cap Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by BassKulcha, Jan 22, 2021.

1. BassKulcha

BassKulcha TDPRI Member

I think I already know the answer to this, but is there any suggestions you all have?

Rusted/seized truss rod nut:

Ok, so the Luthier/shop I brought my newly purchased 1968 maple cap Tele to (see this thread for pics and background) says that the rusted nut is actually seized (the seller explicitly told me that it turned freely). It's now at the luthier/shop with the neck off waiting for this work to be done, as well as a refret.

It looks like I have a two options:
    1. The luthier/shop can try to get some penetrating oil and heat to loosen it. If that works, it could be fine.
    2. The seller offered to pay for shipping back for them to fix.

You'd think that option #2 would be the clear way to go, but I'm not sure. It'll take me the better part of a day to pick up the Tele and pack and ship it (I'm in NYC, so the shop is a ways away on the train), so it's be a bit of a PITA to get it back. Secondly, if the shop either wasn't honest with me or was ignorant of the issue, do I want to send it back to them to get "fixed"?

(Maybe it's magical thinking, but my hope is that the nut will loosen and it and the threads will clean up nicely and then it's all good...)

**If the truss rod nut is seized however, we have bigger problems that I'm thinking make this deal dead in the water, and so it would be better to send back to the seller to "fix".

I really do like this Tele, and if the truss rod nut ends up turning freely I would keep it.

So, what to do: risk it and keep it at the shop it's in now for the work (option 1), or get it back and return to the seller to do the work (option 2)?

Any useful suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks—

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Me, I'd try to fix it myself with a judicious shot of WD40. Not too much. Let it sit for a day and then carefully try to turn it. If the nut now turns freely, I'd remove it, clean it and the threads with a small amount of machine oil and a Qtip, replace the nut and carry on. I'm guessing that's what the shop would do anyway.

If that failed to work, I'd (sadly) return it.

BassKulcha likes this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s what I’d do. It often works and has for me. The only clinker would be if the seller doesn’t want anybody working on it other than themselves if it’s to be returned. I’d clear that up first.

BassKulcha and darkwaters like this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Too much monkey business either way. Return for full refund. Get something else.

willtheboy likes this.
  5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

When I first saw the picture of that truss rod nut, I thought that you would never get that one move again, so I was surprised that the show said it turned freely. I am sure though that once you get it off you will be able to clean it and make it turn smooth again. But remember that if you (or your luthier) snaps it off or breaks it, you have a bigger problem.

6. BassKulcha

BassKulcha TDPRI Member

Update: truss rod nut is free.

So, the seller wanted to make good and pay for shipping it back and do the work themselves.

But, when I just called up the luthier/shop to let them know to stop the work and that I was going to pick it up, an employee told me the luthier had already gotten it loose.

I’m going to have to eat the additional cost, which sucks, but the seller at least tried to make it right.

And the best news of all is that the truss rod and nut are all good!

Life’s too short to stress about the slight additional cost, and I’ll see this as a lesson to be learned in this journey (I’ve been lucky many, many times with gear, so things even out in the end...)

7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I'm glad your tech got it straightened out. All's well that ends well.

BassKulcha likes this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Glad to hear ya got that straightened out. That’s a cool old guitar.

BassKulcha likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.