1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to do in Tucson?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by donrichfan, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I lived there 2001-2005 while I was active duty, off base and downtown as soon as I was able to. Great town if you know where to look, but there's enough to be turned off by that I understand anybody who has been. That said, if it had been at all practical to keep living there, I would have.

There was an unusually good folk and bluegrass scene back then which I imagine must still be going in some form. A lot of local pickers passed through the Nimbus brewery, which is of course gone now. As has already been said, there are a million food options, especially hard to pick a bad Mexican one. The place outside the DM gates might also be El Sur at Craycroft and 29th. I could spend a week doing nothing but eating in that town. I've even got a soft spot for Los Beto's or any of the other nasty taco stands. If it's still there, Mr. K's barbecue way down by the airport.

I'd definitely go back to the desert museum, drive moderately and very defensively up to Summerhaven, stop at rose canyon on the way. Careful with that road, people treat it like they do Mulholland.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    rcole_sooner and donrichfan like this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The boneyard and air museum are cool but i love to just hike off into the desert.

Some local friends took us to some nice Mexican restaurant but I can’t remember its name. I am sure they are are plenty.

3. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Thanks a pant-load for all of the great suggestions so far... I knew this would be the place to ask around. From what I've seen so far, it looks like there's enough places / stuff that is open, or will be open by the time I get there. I remember when I was living in Albuquerque a dozen or so years ago, my band shared some bills with pretty good rockabilly bands from Tucson. I'd love to catch a local act, if that sort of thing is happening there.

4. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Same here-I'm sure we'll be doing plenty of that.

5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

donrichfan and rcole_sooner like this.
  6. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Sabino Canyon Hike!

Tanque Verde Canyon hike! I can give directions to a super cool hike down into the canyon!

Mt. Lemon drive!

Drive Tucson Mt. Park and check out Saguaro west. Desert Museum.

If you dig used books Bookman's has a great selection and 3 locations. They even have used music gear!

Rainbow Guitars is very cool! Give them a call! May be open....

Tombstone and Bisbee are a day trip.

Never had bad Mexican food in Tucson. Los Betos best drive through but Nicos close 2nd.

If you like 1911s go to The HUB!

Chicago Music downtown not what it used to be. Check out the chapter about it in "Strat In The Attic" book! Has the story!

Stick around for a sunset! THE best!

DHart, Rustbucket, donrichfan and 3 others like this.
  7. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

THE Chicago Store that everyone remembers (2-story, packed with great old stuff, etc) is LONG GONE. The son still has a very small storefront around the corner from the longtime store but it's just a regular, and smallish music shop. I cherish my times at the Chicago store back in the 70s and 80s also...but sadly is no more. After both brothers died (Phil and Joe) the great old inventory was sold off pretty quickly. Word is that some guy came in the biggest uhaul he could rent and took everything he wanted...apparently the GOOD stuff. Legend or not the treasure house we remember is no more. I've lived in Tucson since 1975 and the original Chicago Store is right up there near the top of the list for things I wish were still the same as they used to be.

Rustbucket and Bill B like this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Oh man, sorry to hear...cause that place was awesome!

9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

The old guy (Joe?) who owned Chicago Music is gone, I think. There were no price tags because he would look up Gruhn's prices for anything even remotely vintage in any sort of condition and start dealing from there. I bought a few things from him but had Harvey at Rainbow sideline it for me. No bargains to be had there.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Been about 30 years since I've been there, but if it's still open there's a really cool Sonoran Desert Museum.

donrichfan and Harry Styron like this.
  11. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Lots of good ideas here:
    San Xavier Mission
    Hiking Sabino Canyon
    Desert Museum
    Rainbow Guitars
    Folk Shop Music *across from Rainbow
    Saguaro National Monument (east)
    U of A
    4th Ave
    Titan Missile Silo
    Air Force museum
    Chiracahua
    Kitt Peak
    AND FOOD:
    best Mexican in the USA + Eegee's slush and a grinder. Mmmmmm

(and sorry, the legendary Chicago Store is no more. What a place!)

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'd go see alvin blaine is what I'd do. I think they have some music happenin down there now, right?

donrichfan likes this.
  13. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

They've already been mentioned, but I'll second the sonoran desert museum, san xavier del bac, and El Guero Canelo. Tombstone is an hour or so away, very kitschy but fun.

donrichfan likes this.
  14. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

For some California grass.

15. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

It's a lot smaller this year, but the rescheduled Gem and Mineral Show will be going on in mid-April. Will probbaly still be cool.

The full-on one that's usually in mid-Feb is the largest show in the world, and virtually the whole city converts over to venues to sell the most amazing stuff around. You can spend a whole day and see maybe 5% of it.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

The summers are brutal, but the monsoon season almost makes up for it. There is many a time I wound up around Tucson when I was out chasing after lightning photos. That's actually one of the few things I do miss about living in AZ.

donrichfan likes this.
  17. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

well, well, well my friend. Round 'bout 2000 I went on a mountain biking expedition to Tucson with my buddy. Drive from LA and do a long weekend of mtn biking. And we didn't know where to stay so we stayed on Main st. or something relatively equivalent. Which is sort of the main drag. With the goal being a cheap motel to sleep and then go mountain biking day after day. So we ended up at a cool old motel with single story, 50s vintage, huge rooms. I forget the name of the place but it was kind of cool - they had a really nice cactus garden and a mid-century vibe. Like as if you were staying in a military dorm for 20 guys but there were only two of you - that's how big the rooms felt.

Anyways, I don't want to be gettin' into no trouble but we soon figured we were stayin' in the rougher part of town. How'd we figure that? Across the street was a place I believe was called TDs Roadhouse or some such thing. I'm not even going to Google it cuz I don't want no trouble. But scootin' over there after a nice long day of mountain biking, and a good Tucson meal for dinner, we had a fun time in our little dreggs.

And that's all I got to say about that.

donrichfan likes this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Heck even in Oz I know what to do in Tucson , Arizona.
    Stand on a corner , seven women on my mind, wait for the one that sas she's a friend of mine, and hop in her truck.:cool:

19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That's the girl in the flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me.

20. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That's Winslow, 450km from Tucson.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    donrichfan and PhoenixBill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.