1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to do in Tucson?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by donrichfan, Mar 3, 2021.

1. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Wondering if anyone can recommend some cool stuff in Tucson. Could be music-related, killer Mexican food, local breweries, hikes-really anything.
    My wife and I are driving out to Joshua tree in a couple of weeks and we’re making a stop in Tucson for a few nights to kick around a bit. The saguaro national park is on the list, and maybe Mt Lemmon, but I’m open for any additional cool stuff.
    Thanks.

crazyhorse and BorderRadio like this.
  2. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

It's been ten years since I've been there, but there was a cool music store right in downtown Tucson that was packed to the gills with equipment...looked like a rummage sale almost, and many things did not even have price tags. I want to say it was called "Chicago" Music...believe it or not.

McGlamRock and donrichfan like this.
  3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

University and 4th street is fun.

Seis Kitchen for tacos

+1 on Davis Monthan

Ramble in the desert on the east side or west side. Especially Saguaro East National park

Drive up Mt. Lemon

Day trip to Bizbee

buster poser and donrichfan like this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The plane museum is across the road from the boneyards. It's pretty awesome.

But the main draw for me is tacos. This place in particular.

https://www.seiskitchen.com/

EDIT: haha @Engine Swap beat me to it.

6. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I always try to get a round in at Starr Pass golf course.

They always took us to a little "dive" Mexican restaurant just outside DM AFB, but I can't remember the name.

donrichfan likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

"Little dive Mexican restaurant just outside of....."

HAHA that really narrows it down in Southern AZ. It would be one thing if they were mediocre. But it seems like they're all amazing. Just pick one and pull off the highway.

ravindave_3600 and rcole_sooner like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What to do in Tucson? Leave

zephyrR1 likes this.
  9. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

The Chicago music store. I went there 20 years ago and it was the coolest music store I had ever been. The story I was told at the time was it went through a fire and shut down for over a decade but it had a full inventory of gear and eventually reopened and was loaded to the file with vintage gear. I don’t know that’s true 100% or not but I do know when I went it had more vintage gear than I’d ever seen in one place, it was huge and had 2 levels, the 2nd being off limits to the public. My drummer convinced their drum tech to let us rummage around up there for some specific items he was looking for and it was insane. Piles of old instruments everywhere, nice guitars going to crap, a pile of tubas filling an entire room, just absolutely bonkers. That totally brought back a great memory of a great day, thanks!
    Enjoy Tucson

10. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Probably was El Molinito! Near Craycroft and 22nd, I think. Red Chili Burrito (no beans), just chunks of Meat and Cheese. Yum! Chips are Good!

Drew617, rcole_sooner and donrichfan like this.
  11. donrichfan

Haha! This is the best suggestion so far, thanks!

Torren61 likes this.
  12. donrichfan

This place looks like it'd warrant a trip, for sure.

crazyhorse likes this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Go check out Wa:k, San Xavier Mission. I think on Sundays they have an open market with food stands, but you know it's all been different for the past year.

14. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Bisbee and San Javier both worth a visit.

Bill B and donrichfan like this.
  15. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Cool to see the A-10s overhead when hiking in the desert.

donrichfan likes this.
  16. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Well I was going to suggest Old Tuscon but it seems they are closed due to Covid. This is where a lot of the old western movies were filmed. I thought it was pretty cool.

donrichfan likes this.
  17. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've never been to Bisbee, but my Tucson friends are originally from there and it sounds like a place I'd love. Dad was also at Fort Huachuca briefly post-Nam, and he always compares it favorably to small towns we like here in New Mexico. Might be too far if OP's trying to get to Joshua Tree, but it's on our list for sure.

18. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gas up and head for Needles. :twisted:

donrichfan likes this.
  19. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, if you are driving in on I-10, the Titan Missle Museum is worth a stop.
    https://titanmissilemuseum.org/
    It is associated with the Pima Aircraft Museum noted above,
    https://pimaair.org/
    but is in Green Valley, not very far off the freeway. It is the world’s only missile silo that is a museum, and has an actual Titian II in the silo (never been fueled). That is an interesting 2 or so hours, if just for a slice of Cold War history.

The aircraft museum is physically quite large and has a lot of aircraft. Not so much of explanation as maybe other museums. It is worth a visit if aviation interests you. And they provide tours of the boneyard itself. That can be interesting.

We were at Mt. Lemon this summer, and the top part was closed. Can’t hike around the observatory. There was a big fire and the concern is excess erosion. But even if you cannot get to the top, it is a nice drive and has some really stunning overlooks at sunset. And some fun (though a bit challenging to some) hikes.

Sonoran Desert Museum is a place to go if various flora and fauna interest you. http://desertmuseum.org/

Tucson has a number of good restaurants, but Yelp is your guide there.

Chicago Music Store is still in Tucson, but I’ve never been. https://chicagomusicstore.com/instruments-gear/

I have been to Rainbow Music, and that was cool, but I’m not sure they have any in person sales at the moment. https://www.rainbowguitars.com/

I’ve been to The Folk Shop a couple of times, and it is always fun and has reasonable priced traditional instruments. https://www.thefolkshop.com/

There is a bunch of stuff in Tucson that has been closed. The old mission (San Xaiver Del Bac Mission) is open for services only, no tours and the museum is closed. Old Tucson was taken over by the county, so those old movies sets are no longer an active attraction, as it has not re-opened since the takeover.

crazyhorse, Nickfl, Pcs264 and 4 others like this.
  20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

some peculiar anti-Tucson sentiment in this thread, don't really get it, I get down there once a year or so & have a blast. the day hikes are some of my favorites, especially heading up into the Catalinas & the Saguaro Park east & west. Madera Canyon is a birding Mecca this time of year & a really beautiful place. BK taco has the best carne asada tacos in town (fight me!) and El Guero Canelo has the best Sonoran hot dogs. the boneyard at Davis-monthan is a sight worth seeing, too, and the bars around 4th ave & downtown can be fun -- La Cucina for outdoor live music. see you there if I can get the shot!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.