What to do about a listing for a tele that's probably stolen...

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When you move to Canada your guitar gets delivered by Mounties!
(... after they melt your faces, that is.)

KWLA3OHT5JGO3BQT563W57MNLU

Pictured: Rush cover band... at least it didn't say anywhere that it wasn't one, so we have to assume it is!
The sign on the bass drum says "Dudley and the Do-Rights." Featuring Little Nell on vocals ... the Stevie Nicks of the RCMP.

Inkman66

TDPRI Member
Funny, I'm messaging with someone in my neighbourhood about a Squier bass, which he is also selling because he's 'moving to Canada'... :oops:

The logic seems to be I can't ship my guitar there. Or, it would get damaged on the wagon train / dog sled...
I was thinking the same...why can't you just take your guitar to Canada with you? Has it committed a crime that prevents border crossing or something?🤔

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
There were some posters giving an opinion on the possibility of it being stolen, and at least one regarding the burden of proof required to do something about it via eBay. I understand that.

What I don’t understand are a couple of comments suggesting that the OP mind his own biz if it isn’t his guitar. We don’t care about stolen gear if it isn’t our own? I’m all ears if I misunderstood something. I do realize that there is a “fun” element to this thread, but the “mind your own biz” comments appeared to be serious.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Meister
What's the general consensus around here about buying a guitar that one is pretty sure is stolen? I know a couple guys who have done this.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Meister
Funny, I'm messaging with someone in my neighbourhood about a Squier bass, which he is also selling because he's 'moving to Canada'... :oops:

The logic seems to be I can't ship my guitar there. Or, it would get damaged on the wagon train / dog sled...

There is no logic there. Canada isn't real.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
If you bought it and have a sales receipt you will be fine. A friend who owned a local shop would copy the info. from the sellers drivers license just in case.

How do I know this? A local policeman told me when I bought a stolen guitar years ago.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Came across a listing on ebay for a lovely AO 60s Thinline recently.
Highly suspicious description:

" Never used was given to me as a gift from an ex girlfriend and I never got round to learning it now I’m moving to Canada so need to sell. Absolutely stunning instrument. Also comes with all the high spec essentials like mulitple pics, Lovell strap and also high end turning equipment and sonnenheisen amp.

Open to reasonable offers please get intouch as you can see it’s like immaculate and I hope you enjoy it."

So ... you don't know how to play, but your ex bought you a £2000 guitar for kicks? And ... you broke up with this woman??

Gotta appreciate those high spec features though, like extra pics.

To ice the cake in the photos it's got a custom strap setup bolted on, and is being sold with a wireless transmitter. Pretty clearly a gigging musician's set up. Very much not gear your girlfriend would randomly buy you, no matter how rich and dreamy she might be.

Anyway, lol.

But what's the forum's opinion on this kind of thing? Is there a good international list of stolen guitar serial numbers? (I know there is a US database.) Would you ever bid on something like this? Some might say it's no worse than a pawnshop find, and not going back to the original owner anyway if does happen to have fallen off a truck. But feels pretty gross! Crazy that ebay doesn't have a way to flag items as potentially stolen...

PS - if you're in Edinburgh and someone nicked your tele, get on ebay and sort him out!
The world's full of knobheads.

I bought a Dano a few years back that had "a chipped neck, tuning issues and electrical problems" for half what it was worth.
When the spoilt brat arrived in Mummy's car with the guitar, at his local railway station (also local to me), the chipped neck was a 2mm long indent in the lacquer where it met the fretboard, the electrical problems were a loose jack socket, and the tuning issues were that the brain donor hadn't strung the guitar properly - all six strings had one anti-clockwise wrap around the post.

If you're concerned about whether it's stolen, get a serial number and get in touch with either the Edinburgh Constabulary or an Edinburgh dealer, such as Guitarguitar.

Finally, don't underestimate how stupid some women are when it comes to money and men. There are tons of them being conned out of their savings by men they 'meet' on dating sites.

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
If it's not YOUR stolen guitar, mind your own business.
At 2:00 AM last night, I witnessed a guy I didn't recognize pry his way through the window of my neighbor's house. Since it wasn't my house, I just ignored it.

Seriously? Where do people come up with such nonsense arguments? Most recovered stolen gear come from assistance from the community.

The OP is so bizarre though. I'm not buying the story. What type of musicians endorse the purchase of (possibly) stolen gear?

Last edited: