What to do about a listing for a tele that's probably stolen...

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
Came across a listing on ebay for a lovely AO 60s Thinline recently.
Highly suspicious description:

" Never used was given to me as a gift from an ex girlfriend and I never got round to learning it now I’m moving to Canada so need to sell. Absolutely stunning instrument. Also comes with all the high spec essentials like mulitple pics, Lovell strap and also high end turning equipment and sonnenheisen amp.

Open to reasonable offers please get intouch as you can see it’s like immaculate and I hope you enjoy it."

So ... you don't know how to play, but your ex bought you a £2000 guitar for kicks? And ... you broke up with this woman??

Gotta appreciate those high spec features though, like extra pics.

To ice the cake in the photos it's got a custom strap setup bolted on, and is being sold with a wireless transmitter. Pretty clearly a gigging musician's set up. Very much not gear your girlfriend would randomly buy you, no matter how rich and dreamy she might be.

Anyway, lol.

But what's the forum's opinion on this kind of thing? Is there a good international list of stolen guitar serial numbers? (I know there is a US database.) Would you ever bid on something like this? Some might say it's no worse than a pawnshop find, and not going back to the original owner anyway if does happen to have fallen off a truck. But feels pretty gross! Crazy that ebay doesn't have a way to flag items as potentially stolen...

PS - if you're in Edinburgh and someone nicked your tele, get on ebay and sort him out!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
The story is clearly nonsense... I'm not sure why people feel the need to make up a story, if it is sketchy then why make up some stupid story that draws attention?

It's tricky, unless you have solid evidence there's not much you can do. It might not be stolen, it could be payment for some sketchy drug deals or something.

I wouldn't bid on it though, if they are BS ing you already in the description then I can only imagine how the rest of it will go. 😆

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted

" Never used was given to me as a gift from an ex girlfriend and I never got round to learning it now I’m moving to Canada so need to sell. Absolutely stunning instrument. Also comes with all the high spec essentials like mulitple pics, Lovell strap and also high end turning equipment and sonnenheisen amp.

Open to reasonable offers please get intouch as you can see it’s like immaculate and I hope you enjoy it."

So ... you don't know how to play, but your ex bought you a £2000 guitar for kicks? And ... you broke up with this woman??

To ice the cake in the photos it's got a custom strap setup bolted on, and is being sold with a wireless transmitter. Pretty clearly a gigging musician's set up. Very much not gear your girlfriend would randomly buy you, no matter how rich and dreamy she might be.

Anyway, lol.

But what's the forum's opinion on this kind of thing? Is there a good international list of stolen guitar serial numbers? (I know there is a US database.) Would you ever bid on something like this? Some might say it's no worse than a pawnshop find, and not going back to the original owner anyway if does happen to have fallen off a truck. But feels pretty gross! Crazy that ebay doesn't have a way to flag items as potentially stolen...

PS - if you're in Edinburgh and someone nicked your tele, get on ebay and sort him out!
I'm more interested in the ex girlfriend, is her phone number, or email listed? 🥲

PCollen

Friend of Leo's

Anyway, lol.

If it's not YOUR stolen guitar, mind your own business.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
Does anyone else read 'Moving to Canada' as...

"If anything goes **** up with this deal, don't try and contact me as I'll be pretending I've moved to Canada'

.. why would you mention that? It immediately rings my alarm bell.

Funny, I'm messaging with someone in my neighbourhood about a Squier bass, which he is also selling because he's 'moving to Canada'... :oops:

The logic seems to be I can't ship my guitar there. Or, it would get damaged on the wagon train / dog sled...

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Funny, I'm messaging with someone in my neighbourhood about a Squier bass, which he is also selling because he's 'moving to Canada'... :oops:

The logic seems to be I can't ship my guitar there. Or, it would get damaged on the wagon train / dog sled...

lol, I mean I get it ... he's moving, he doesn't want to take it with him. ... but I wouldn't put it in a for sale listing.

What it is, any damage, price etc. I don't need your life story with it too. 😁

thesamhill

Tele-Afflicted
As a respected low level fence in my local criminal underworld, I have a lot of experience identifying items that might be stolen. So you can trust me when I tell you with 100% certainty that this item is totally legit.

Why is no one mentioning the turning equipment? I gotta have turning equipment, and it's gotta be high end turning equipment

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
As a respected low level fence in my local criminal underworld, I have a lot of experience identifying items that might be stolen. So you can trust me when I tell you with 100% certainty that this item is totally legit.

Why is no one mentioning the turning equipment? I gotta have turning equipment, and it's gotta be high end turning equipment
good enough for me!

yeah man, I didn't want to mention the turning equipment, was worried you guys would all go bid on it...

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Some people over share, tell strangers things they don’t necessarily care about. In a text-based world, you see this all the time. The problems start because there is no inflection or body language to back up perceptions of deceit. This story doesn’t have to mean seller is a crack head looking for a big score. People looking for quick cash on hot goods don’t exactly set up a paypal (or whatever) and hassle with shipping. Easily this guitar is a quick 500 at a pawnshop. Could be the guy is trying to reach out? Bad breakup? I bet if I had to meet this person from a CL transaction, they might want to tell me all about it..

All about the turning gear and the Lovell strap…:lol::rolleyes: