What to buy with less then 400$?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SpamBot, Mar 10, 2013.

1. SpamBot

SpamBot TDPRI Member

Hi everybody!

I am thinking about buying new gear, for I pretty much realized that the amps I own aren't that good at all.
    My budget is about 380 US dollars, and I can't really decide what to go for.

My guess is that I can find a decent/good 1x12 combo for that price, like the Jet City JCA2112RC which I found new for 365$, or the Line 6 Spider IV 75, used for 350$.
    BUT! I like big stuff, and I found 3 pieces of used gear that seemed pretty interesting to me: a Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 4x12 cab for 200$, the Warp 7 head also for 200$, and a Peavy VK100 (with the lead channel not working) for 160$.

I mostly play blues, classic rock and low-tuned metal helping myself with a distortion pedal.

Do you guys have any idea about what would it be the best for me? Even other amps if you think they would do the job, I'm completely open to suggestions right now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Watch CraigsList for a used Marshall JCM900 combo or a JTM30 or 60, or a small Fender tube amp with single 12" speaker.

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

OP is 16 and he's in Italy. The usual choices here are more unusual and expensive there.

Line 6: Friends don't let friends buy Line 6. The eventually blow up. When they blow up they can't be fixed by mere mortals. When Line 6 decides the amp is obsolete it's obsolete.

Modelers are like cats. They belong on the floor not in my amp. My cats understand that. No cats on the table, no cats on the counter, no cats on or in my amps.

I'd go for the Jet City. Fezz likes 'em.

If it were me I'd go for the Peavey. It's probably an easy fix for me. I'd take the chassis out of the case and make sure it didn't have a broken circuit board or creative butchery inside before reaching for my wallet.

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

vox ac15

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender Excelsior. MSRP is $399, street price is $299. Two 12AX7 and Two 6V6 tubes, 13 watts, 15 inch speaker.

Haven't heard one, but it certainly hits the price point.

6. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I would check out the Jet City personally.....20watts is plenty loud. Bugerra V22 might be worth checking out too.You could get an extension cab later on when you get more cash. I would definitely stay away from the Line 6 Spider

The Warp 7 sounds like a High Gain amp. I never played one but in my experience , high gain amps usually have so so or bad clean channels. The VK100 isnt bad. I played one and they sound ok. I think 100 watts is way overkill unless you are looking for something that will play loud and clean. The lead channel not working is probably just a preamp tube gone bad.

7. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

What kind of music do you play?

Since you didn't say, I'll just recommend what I'd buy with that money:
    Orange Micro Terror and a nice 1-12" cab.

But if you're looking for modeling amps, it's been my observation that folks here tend to like either the Fender Mustangs or the Roland Cubes much more than anything by Line 6.

8. SpamBot

SpamBot TDPRI Member

As I wrote in the first post, I play blues, classic rock and down-tuned metal.
    Also, I don't really happen to be a big fan of oranges' sound.

9. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Sorry! I missed that.

Okay, just had another thought: Tech 21 Trademark 30:

• $320 in the U.S.
    • lots of amp models, should cover your needs
    • all analog
    • gets lots of high marks, even from people who build tube amps

10. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

How about a Fender Mustang III amp? It has built-in stomp box effects.

11. SpamBot

SpamBot TDPRI Member

I'd rather stick to analogue stuff now that I found out a bit more about cheap modelling amps. And, I don't even need that much sounds, just a good clean to put a distortion pedal into, and maybe a low gain second channel to play lighter stuff with.

12. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

This is probably smaller than what you are looking for but I bought a fender champion 600 for
    150 an ran it through a 10" EV cab then tried a 212 loaded with eminence Texas heat. Only 5
    watts but sounded great through either cab. It works with pedals ts9 ds1 and much more volume
    than I expected. Didn't like the stock speaker but with a decent cab its hard to beat for the money
    In my opinion.

13. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

I agree. It's a great amp for the money. My friend has one its got a very lush, vintage tube sound. Perfect for blues and some old school rock. Excellent value and much louder than its size and wattage would suggest. If I were to buy a new amp it would undoubtedly be one of these.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

That Jet City is a wonderful inexpensive amp. I say inexpensive not cheap, because they're built like a tank, come with a decent speaker, and are a cool blend of modern and oldschool. The reverb is the best sounding reverb you can get in it's price range. It's real tube driven and recovered reverb, no IC crap. IMO, it's better than a new AC15 or Blooze Jr.

15. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Used Peavey Classic 30 or used Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

16. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Classic 30 gets my vote.

17. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Considering what you're playing, your budget, and location, the Jet City sounds like the right deal for you. You might also keep an eye out for a Laney, very good amps that are more common over there than here in the USA. Hard to say what's wrong with the Peavey, that's a Chinese made one, and you never know what kind of Quality Control you have on Chinese-made gear (it's not exactly my favorite amp either, but that's another story).

Good luck on the amp safari!!!

Franc Robert

18. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

I have had Jet City, Peavy and Fender excelsior. Jet City is too bland sounding and excelsior is too biting and brittle. My vote is classic 30. It's your best bet.

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Put an 12AY7 in V1 of Excelsior pre amp and it warms up considerably, plus letting speaker break in a good while.

But.... I also feel for the OP's needs, a Peavey Classic 30 would be just about perfect. It's got the volume and versatility. a great platform amp for rock, blues, country and with a Fuzz Lord pedal, low tuned metal.

20. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

The Crate Palomino V-16 (or V-32) is another good one for the $.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.