1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What to build after 5f1

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tallen11, Mar 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tallen11

tallen11 TDPRI Member

Hi all,
    First time posting here, but have been lurking for the past month or so. This forum has been incredibly helpful thus far in my amp building journey, so thanks everyone.

I recently finished a Fender 5f1 build with great success. Worked the first time I turned it on and sounds fantastic. Other than brutalizing the steel chassis blank with inadequate tools (am using aluminum from now on), the process wasn't too bad, and very rewarding.

I'm trying to figure out what to build next. I wanted something that was a step up in difficulty and I had my eye on a princeton reverb or deluxe reverb but I don't want to get ahead of myself as those seems significantly more complex than the champ. I also looked at the 5e3, but feel like it may be too similar to the champ to be worth it? I don't know. What do you suggest?
    Thanks!

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Try a non-reverb Princeton or 50-era Deluxe. Another great option is a Marshall Bluesbreaker or a Vox AC15.

Welcome to the craziness.

It only gets worse ;)

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  3. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Think the 5e3 is a logical progression. The 5f2a may even be the next step, but is basically just the addition of tone pot. Better yet, what sounds are you going for. The BF amps seem a steep curve for a 2nd build... especially troubleshooting.

4. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

I say Princeton reverb - get a kit from mojotone (on sale now), take your time, and it’ll turn out great. More complex, for sure, but if you follow the layout and triple check everything, you’ll be fine. The 5e3 is awesome, but it’s sort of in the same ballpark as a champ. Definitely don’t do a tweed Princeton - it really is nearly identical to the champ (you could mod the champ if you decide you want those tones). My 2 cents.

5. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I built a 5E3 right after my Champ. No, they are not the same amp--by a long shot. I love them both.
    Agree with others that adding reverb and/or trem may be a bridge too far for a second build.

6. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a 5F11? Sort of like a Brownface Princeton. More headroom than the 5F1.

Or just go to the BF Princeton Reverb.

7. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

How about a 6G15 stand alone reverb? Just 3 tubes, and you can get your feet wet in the realm of reverb circuitry. And it'll spice up the sound of your 5F1.

8. tallen11

tallen11 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I didn't know about the 5f11. That one seems like a reasonable step up in complexity from what I can tell. Same with the 6g15, although I'm having trouble hearing how it sounds. Can anyone attest to its tone? Ultimately, I want that blackface tone with reverb but as you've said, that's probably biting off too much at this point, which is fine, I can always build one later when I'm more experienced.

Also, I wanted to include that I'm a bit averse to kits. I think I personally learn better without them even if it's more risky picking out the components myself.

I'm leaning toward the 5f11 or 5e3. I like how these are push-pull style amps instead of single ended like the champ and princeton as it adds something new to the table besides just more pots.

So many cool suggestions though. I haven't even really looked into the Marshalls and Vox amps yet. This is honestly such a fun and exciting hobby so far.

9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

If you are drawn to the dark side of the force. Marshall 18 watt is about even with the 5e3 in difficulty.

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I had a TMB 18W build, with a Master Volume. That was one loud amp! Louder than my 5E3 build I'd say. I sounded great, but had to be pretty loud to really sizzle. A 6G15 would make a great build. I am actually considering one myself.

11. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

If you are wanting Blackface tone with reverb, then go the BF Princeton Reverb. Great amp and a good step up from your champ in a reasonably compact package. Whilst it is a much more complex circuit, it is a more open environment to build it in.......heaps of space in that chassis as compared to the tweed styles. You'll have one tone stack to build which will help with your learning, reverb and the awesome bias tremolo that these bring to the table. Kit or parts build, you'll have heaps of fun, get plenty of help here and have a super amp at the end.

D'tar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.