What time do you eat thanksgiving dinner? why eat so early?

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
2:00
Gives enough time to cook, and enough time to digest before bedtime.
It also locks it in as an ‘occasion’.
Works for me, ymmv.

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
when going to relatives we always eat Around 2 o clock (in the afternoon of course)

Just seems early to me, this is on my fathers side, I asked him why they do it that way, he just says he doesn’t know they’ve always eaten early

What time is your supper?
Well, you kind of solve the mystery yourself. You used dinner and supper as though they’re interchangeable. In some places they are. In other places, dinner is what many call lunch.

Where I grew up:
Breakfast, dinner, supper.

I’ve learned others say:
Breakfast, lunch, dinner. This crowd doesn’t generally use the term supper.

To wrap up, we grew up having thanksgiving dinner around 1:30-2:00 o’clock. Most folks were too full to eat anything but pie for supper.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
Both families are 2 pm. In-laws on Turkey day and my family on Saturday.

Never thought of everyone getting together on the same day? Normally for my wife and I it is us, my one son and his wife and her parents. Normally at my son’s house, but yesterday we had it at his in-law’s house. We really don’t have the room for it.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Well, you kind of solve the mystery yourself. You used dinner and supper as though they’re interchangeable. In some places they are. In other places, dinner is what many call lunch.

Where I grew up:
Breakfast, dinner, supper.

I’ve learned others say:
Breakfast, lunch, dinner. This crowd doesn’t generally use the term supper.

To wrap up, we grew up having thanksgiving dinner around 1:30-2:00 o’clock. Most folks were too full to eat anything but pie for supper.

My grandmother has always said supper for the late meal and my parents and I say dinner

So I do use it interchangeably

Although you’re right about dinner traditionally being the midday meal

around here it’s a age gap type deal with older folks saying breakfast, lunch, supper

And younger folks, breakfast, lunch, dinner

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I really hated, eating anywhere around 4:00 PM. This is the warmest, most pleasant time of the day on the average Thanksgiving, and we're stuck inside and wasting precious daylight.

I'd rather eat when it is dark outside. This applies for basically the whole time, from Halloween through Easter.

I've already roasted two turkeys in the last two months. For The Day, I had tuna and my girlfriend had steak. And the puppy had some of both of those and those big sit down dinners will have to wait for another year maybe.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
My mom usually had things ready to go at about 11 am. When I got older I loved it. I could hit at least three Thanksgivings in one day.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanksgiving is over. We’re back to normal now. Jacques, our 15 year old papillon, comes into the kitchen looking for dinner at 5. He can’t eat dry dog food. He has too few teeth left. So we give him cooked meat over rice. Our big girl has her dinner over a mix of kibble and rice. So we cook for the dogs at 5 and get our dinner ready after that. A geriatric dog decides when it’s dinner time and you can set your watch by the time he wanders into the kitchen and starts barking.