What time do you eat thanksgiving dinner? why eat so early?

Jim_in_DC

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
5-5:30pm for us. We like to start the day slowly, and I bake a pie after breakfast. After that, around noon, we start the meal preparation.

Last edited:

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Not early for us this year, in fact it will be tomorrow (Friday), at 530pm ... how's that for late? :D Just a case of my daughter having it today out of state with her boyfriend's family; then with us here tomorrow; all good. And, got to watch the Raidas beat Dallas today, uninterrupted, that's the best part!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We had a huge gathering of people, five dogs(really)and I don't know how many kids. Spent time with two of my grandsons, watched some football, and had a huge dinner. Wonderful place for the gathering. Tables inside and outside, the weather was nice. We had a Highway Patrolman stop by on his way to work, and a young man I hadn't seen in a couple of years showed up in his dress blues sporting corporal rockers from the Marine Corp. He was the hit of the affair. My daughter and her husband showed up with a rack of delicious pies! I had to get on home though, Alex is still to be walked, and we're getting ready to take him right now. I'm glad we were here for another wonderful Thanksgiving. (And I did get some pie before leaving)

telepicker52

Tele-Holic
Wow!
We’ve always eaten Thanksgiving as the lunch meal, so around 1:30.

Today is my first time ever eating thanksgiving at a restaurant. We are on vacation in Tennessee.
I’ll admit it’s much easier than waking up at 4:00am to start frying turkeys.
Just got home today from vacation at Pigeon Forge. Have a good time Plowboy. Only bad part is every place is so stinking crowded!

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Growing up with extended family we ate early, then had an entire second dinner later. In the middle was football, pool, neighborhood walking.

When I met my wife her family had dinner around 5 or 6 and I thought that was so weird.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Just curious 'cause I live Downunder, but why do you eat Thanksgiving in the middle of the day and not as an evening meal?
We eat our main Christmas dinner at midday not Christmas eve. Just curious.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Later for me & mine but only because I've been training them for 15 years.
That 2pm nonsense combined with the amino acids in turkey that put folks to sleep?
Probably a strategy to get them to leave before sunset!

According to Johns Hopkins University, its actually L-Tryptophan that puts people to sleep but this doesn't happen when you eat turkey BECAUSE OF the amino acids. If you were to take L-Tryptophan by itself with no amino acids, it would make you sleepy. But because there are LOADS of amino acids in turkey, it cancels out any sleepiness that may, have been caused by it.

https://www.hopkinsallchildrens.org...ealthDocNew/Does-Eating-Turkey-Make-Me-Sleepy

You get sleepy from having a full stomach in general or some other cause. It's not because if L-Tryptophan or amino acids or anything in the turkey.

Johns Hopkins said:
But scientists now know that L-tryptophan can really only make a person tired right away if it is eaten or taken by itself without any amino acids. And the protein in turkey contains plenty of other amino acids!

Last edited:

koen

Friend of Leo's
According to Johns Hopkins University, its actually L-Tryptophan that puts people to sleep but this doesn't happen when you eat turkey BECAUSE OF the amino acids. If you were to take L-Tryptophan by itself with no amino acids, it would make you sleepy. But because there are LOADS of amino acids in turkey, it cancels out any sleepiness that may, have been caused by it.

https://www.hopkinsallchildrens.org...ealthDocNew/Does-Eating-Turkey-Make-Me-Sleepy

You get sleepy from having a full stomach in general or some other cause. It's not because if L-Tryptophan or amino acids or anything in the turkey.

L-Tryptophan *is* an amino acid :cool:

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A local bar / banquet center has a T-Day buffet. We go there; no cooking, cleaning, shopping. We at at 12:30, which is a late lunch for us. After dinner, we went and saw a movie (The Eternals). It was a nice day!

EZMFE

Tele-Meister
Just curious 'cause I live Downunder, but why do you eat Thanksgiving in the middle of the day and not as an evening meal?

Why delay something good, that you can have right now? My question is, why would anyone wait till 5 or 6 o'clock?? Screw dat!

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

You could say it's *everything* in the turkey. And the stuffing. And the sweet potatoes. And...

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Just got home today from vacation at Pigeon Forge. Have a good time Plowboy. Only bad part is every place is so stinking crowded!
Been past PF but never been in Dollywood.
We have been at Cumberland Mountain State Park since this past Sunday. It’s been really nice.
Leaving this morning to slowly work our way home. Going to spend today and tonight exploring Chattanooga, tomorrow and tomorrow night in Tuscaloosa.
Home Sunday.
Going to stop in

Aftermath

Tele-Meister
3 or 4. I found out we were having 2 extra guest so I had a little more pressure cooking up the sides yesterday. I think we at at 430 or 5. I'm one of those people who can skip any meal but dinner. If we eat too early I'll be hungry later for sure.