What time do you eat thanksgiving dinner? why eat so early?

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It's pretty simple... Most eat Thanksgiving "dinner" at about 2 or 3pm, because you're most likely not eating lunch that day... So unless you filled up on snacks etc throughout the day... You're hungry enough to stuff your face in the early afternoon.
I actually have only had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and we are shooting for two pm. Looks like we are somewhat on schedule. This started when my Grandparents were alive and we had it at their farm. It was about an hour and forty five minute drive. Yes, snack on leftovers and more dessert after five.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We’ll be eating around 1:00. That’s our normal meal time because we both get up stupid early for work (2AM). Today is no different.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I get why you are a Raiders fan but, I kind of look down on raider fans in Los Angeles. I liken them to Walter from the Big Lebowski. Remember, he would watch his ex-wife's dog when she went on vacation with her new husband.

Growing up, I was a Raider fan, so to me Los Angelenos are the new husband. The old girl's getting a bit shopworn now....

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
Nosh all morning and early afternoon, eat Thanksgiving dinner around 3, digest for a few hours and then pies and other assorted dessert type goodies. That's about what we do. Thanksgiving dinner is not a constant, it varies some from year to year.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I think it comes from the days of yore when "dinner" was the big meal of the day, usually taken in the early afternoon - what we might call "lunch" today. "Supper" is the evening meal, usually of lighter fare. So we have "Thanksgiving Dinner" at the traditional dinner hour. Or not...

Supper? I always thought Thanksgiving Dinner was lunch. Usually a late lunch just because of preparation times and people-wrangling.

Down south where I live, “dinner” is the noon meal. We have always had the Thanksgiving dinner at noon or thereabouts. The evening meal is “supper”.

It must go back to the agrarian days when a big meal was required for afternoon farming.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We're heading over to a blowout type gathering at my daughter in law's sister's place. We were all going to be at the daughter in law's place, but I just found out it was moved to her sister's place. More room! It's quite an affair. Somehow in the excitement and all I missed that it had been moved. But I still feel lucky, even though I'm a punk!

rodeoclown

Tele-Meister
I'm not vaccinated and looked upon inconsiderate and selfish so any mention of a family event is a distant memory and will continue to be for many years.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
We always ate around 6 pm and we continue that tradition.

I don't care much about the Raiders one way or the other.

I do like Thanksgiving very much though. My favorite holiday of the year.

Thanks to all the folk here who provided me with lots of useful Tele info, along with general guitar and music stuff too.
And I guess a lot of camaraderie of a sort as well.

Much appreciated.

stratoman1

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I like the early time if its a big setup with a lot of people. That way you can get it over with. Then kinda gnaw on leftovers while doing a bunch of nothing

Cali Dude

Friend of Leo's
I'm the cook. So, we eat later in the day, around 6ish. No way that I am getting up at 5am to cook Thanksgiving dinner. I enjoy cooking the meal. It's nice to do this for my family. They appreciate it.