1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What the point of lacquer over poly finishes?!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sbpark, Jun 5, 2013.

1. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Regarding why, so Fender can call it nitro covered and keep up with "internet myth or wisdom" you choose while retaining production considerations. Marketing I guess.

Well some of you guys have an interest in this subject, thought of you when I stumbled on this CL ad for a Thinskin Wildwood 52RI. Shows a few chips that may be interesting for ya. Honestly, looks like the finish depth of my own "non thin skin" 2007 52RI judging by a chip on mine. If anyone's looking..linky: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3855035328.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Perhaps it's just me because I'm an old dog who just doesn't get it but it seems to me that due to the internet we now all suffer from information overload and guitar makers today have to deal with that. If they seem to do some silly things on occasion it's our own fault because when you think about it all they are doing is responding to what we as players seem to be asking for. If we ask for silly things then I expect that there is a good chance that is exactly what they will supply us with. Back in the 60's the only times that I can remember guitar players discussing their instruments was when one of us got a new one. The conversation would go something like this. "Oh man, you got a Fender! Where did you get the money? I love the action. Really nice color. I'd love to get a Gibson myself but there's no way I can afford one." Then we would play guitar and never talk about it again. Actually, looking back, I remember it as a good thing. We had our instruments, basically Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, and Rick. They were what they were. Everyone knew what they did and, other than brief conversations about which model we liked there wasn't a whole lot more to ponder. That left us with no distractions and nothing else to do but play.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Something to consider.. "thin skin" is not quantifiable. It is up to the one "tagging" whatever as "thin" to determine what thickness constitutes “thin” skin...

How thick is thick? If it's less that "that", is it thin... what if it's really, really thick, then, if it's only "really" thick, is that not thin by comparison??

also does the phrase "Thin Skin" include the underlying body prep? If not, that could be a good 'ol layer of fiberglass cloth and resin... and "thin" is only referring to the last coats of whatever is being used as a "finish" coating.

I keep sharing... Pay attention to the language, and the way it is used, and what is NOT said. Are the “holes” leaving "loop holes? I can guarantee ya, in many cases if there's a verbiage void, it is being filled "off stage" with something you would rather not have..

This is why society has become infested with lawyers... virtually no one "speaks" in "plain speech" anymore.

Here’s the problem from the manufacturer’s side....

say you manufacture guitars.... you open a division that just does “custom” guitars.... in you ads you promise, they are made exactly like guitars from the 50’s and 60’s.

You make the guitars, but you use different manufacturing procedures... You have now breached an implied contract, because the guitars supposedly made like they did in the 50’s, in fact are not made that way.... Thus you must be careful that NOTHING was implied when promoting the "custom division.....

Suppose the manufacturer says they had a chemical coating company blend paint exactly to the same formulation they used in the 50’s... seeking and receiving an exemption from Government Agencies regulating, the now banned chemistry, but upon chemical analysis, it’s pretty obvious the paint is nothing LIKE what was used in the 50’s.... say that formulation of paint was a BIG feature in the desirability of vintage type guitars, and such desirability is common knowledge among guitarists... and you find out the stuff your “gen-u-wine” oldie is painted with, the one you paid premium $$$ for that very feature, isn’t even close....Breach of contract... again..

So. .. say there are thousands upon thousands of guitarists that bought and paid for these guitars in good faith, believing they were modern constructed duplicates of guitars from the vintage era... were lead to believe their vintage style custom guitars were made exactly like and using the very same parts and procedures as used when the model guitar was new... but certified examination reveals a vastly broad deviation from those original specifications.... so broad that it’s apparent that any claim to duplicate procedures and formulas from the vintage years was not even attempted... you now have grounds for a class action lawsuit....

Soo... today when the manufacturer says ANYTHING relative to the guitars and/or operation it has to be filtered through their legal dept... why? Because somewhere someone is parsing the language, examining what ISN’T said... and wondering????

Now, You have to “weigh”” all this against the fact that virtually none of it means doodle relative to the functionality of a guitar.... but if you are buying something for some specific feature... I imagine you’re like me, you sure as heck wanna know it’s is in fact present on the “thing” you bought, paid for, and received... it’s a real bummer to find out you new “toy” was a fraud..

Ron Kirn

4. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Agreed, and if you bought a Tele no one asked "which model" well until they started adding humbuckers and such

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This was the whole theme behind the "Thin Skin" guitars.

Select the wood carefully, sand it more thoroughly. Then you can put a quick hard shell on there, keep it thin, and defects will not be apparent.

Then you can put the nitro on the top where people can revel in it, where it can be felt, polished, spot repaired, resprayed, given any one of a million top coat colors/hues/toning effects.

Touching well done nitro is like touching a baby's face. Soft, warm; a happy feeling. That's why people want it (whether they understand the whys is for another day).

People got genuine if unspoken reasons for liking nitro. Shame on us for demanding an explanation and shame on people for telling people it is because the wood needs to breathe. Just accept that it is beauty and don't let people slap you around if you can't explain exactly what it is about it you like so much.

+

I often wondered, when people told others the nitro was needed so the wood could breathe, if that was just a way of sending people who were asking dumb questions off to the South when they were supposed to be traveling North. The way my hikers at the parking garage would direct someone to the Algiers Housing Project (as payback) if the bumpkin failed to tip properly.

6. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I read the entire thread, and like Beachbum's comment the best!

My definition of "marketing" is using only B.S. to encourage someone to buy something, while being careful not to let the truth slip out. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.