1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What the point of lacquer over poly finishes?!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sbpark, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry.... It's just that when my neurological Echelon system intercepts certain words or combinations thereof, pertaining to guitar myth.... it sets off a series of events... I snap into a zombie mode, my eyes glass over and I begin typing. . . while mumbling, "I must set things straight. .. I must set things straight.. . .I must set things straight."

r

2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure you have it backwards. Starting with the first poly finishes, the headstock got nitro and the rest poly.

3. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Thin nitro finish is one link in a chain not a deciding factor..

4. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

yeah, thats right. I'm getting confused now! the front of the headstock is nitro, the rest of the neck is nitro over poly.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

here's something to keep in mind... If your guitar has a "thin" nitro finish, and it's polished glossy, there is a boatload of something under the nitro to keep it from doing what real nitro does... It shrinks... into the grain, and you would see the grain, significant grain, in the polish within a few weeks of it being completed...

that's not my opinion... it's what happens to Nitro.... specially thin nitro..

there are methods of sealing the wood so that cannot happen, but it's a chemical alteration of the wood's cellular structure.... and very expensive.... not gonna see it on a production guitar....and , I'm sure you would love to have that stuff instead of whatever is being used now.. anyway..

rk

6. daveandshelle

Only one of my fender type guitars is glossy...but the laquer is still sinking in the grain..there is sealer underneath..the other two are not glossy whatsover and the finish is so thin it is falling off.. I can take it off easily with my finger nail..neither on of these has sealer..I guess there is a little shine..but no sealer as asked by me and stated by the builder..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one does..and a handsome photo of me I must add.. :lol:

7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

it's true! if you listen closely, they pant after a hard night of playing...

i would like to suggest a shorter phrase for the idiots with smaller heads... maybe just "i am a sonic moron"

8. daveandshelle

I beleive in the little to no finish..like I said..one link in the chain..as is the bridge the pegs ..the fretboard there is many variables...I guess I will have to call the tattoo fella close to where I live and have a tattoo made up..this is an old argument so I will see ya later.. :)

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Again, someone who has missed the entire point of the thread. This thread was not about nitro vs. poly. Go back and read my original post. I've explained it a few times already through out the thread, but like poly finishes, you're probably too thick to comprehend!

10. daveandshelle

Just having a little fun didn't mean any harm there..I am sure you are a real super hero..

11. daznic

daznic Tele-Meister

Seems like you don't have an answer to your question - which was simple enough :- Why did Fender originally start spraying lacquer over poly, what was the purpose of the top thin lacquer coat ?

I haven't seen anyone answer your question yet, but I could guess maybe a glossier/smoother finish could be obtained from the lacquer, maybe it just buffed out better than poly back then ? (just a guess) but the poly offered better base protection ?

12. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

The real reason? It was cheaper.

13. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

it's cheaper to put nitro over poly instead of just straight poly? or is it cheaper to put a thin coat of nitro over poly so it can still be marketed as a 'nitro finish' without all the time and work needed to do it the way Ron described earlier, which is the way to finish a guitar that is strictly nitro?

14. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^the original question was answered pretty well here. people like the "feel" or nitro and the way it ages. but poly makes for a more level finish and better seals up the guitar. so you have your nice hard poly keeping your guitar pretty, followed by a coat of nitro to give you a more vintage fender aesthetic.

i personally don't give a poo about the finish as long as its not bare wood giving me splinters

15. fenson

fenson ---------------------------------

some time in mid to late 69 guy

16. fenson

Really ! ya better inform this fellow of his mistake then;)

http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

17. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

It was cheaper than fixing nitro finishes under warranty. It probably was cheaper than spraying all nitro. Even at that time, the powers that be were finding out that nitro wasn't all that great for the land or people to breathe all day. I'm sure insurance costs were a factor. When you run a medium to large facility, costs trickle down in a lot of places. I can almost guarantee you if it were cheaper, nitro would still be sprayed on everything. Leo was a very smart, man, and that included money. Plus Fender wanted everything pristine. No cracked finishes, the same way they didn't want any distortion. Fender was clean and palatable as an image from the beginning.

By the way, this doesn't seem to matter now, because we will pay whatever premium they ask for the nitro. This pertains to why they changed. Today it's just a marketing scheme in which they make a profit by fulfilling a demand.

18. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Not all poly cures hard. Anyone know what is actually used?

19. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

So its actually poly OVER nitro, and the reason they did not use poly on the headstocks but sis on the rest of the neck is because the poly was screwing up/dissolving the headstock decals.

20. fenson

Talk about thick:rolleyes:
    if you go back and read the org. post , you would see that you answered your own question. So really this thread as a great many, has no point or purpose.
    have a nice day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.