What the hell is Amazon playing at?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Aug 3, 2020.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

yes, I've noticed that,too..and I'm also a CD buyer, but import them to Itunes right away. In the end CDs collect dust in my IKEA shelfs...
    The samples were really usefull to check out new albums which I then bought on Ebay :)

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

One good reason for still buying hard copy music is for my son. He gets to handle the covers, browse the shelves, read the blurb. Music means more when it exists physically, if you get what I mean.

3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

get it...I still do that ..have about 600 cds and so far only ca.100 are in Itunes..so I still (re-)discover albums I bought many years ago...it's so much fun to dig in my collection :)

hemingway likes this.
  4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I wondered what had happened to the track listings...

Previewing tracks is a piece o' pish. - Spotify, you can listen to the entire album. For free.

That's what I do, then I buy the CD/LP. I'm a lover of physical copies too. :)

telemnemonics and hemingway like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, I noticed they don't have the samples on there anymore the other day.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

That's right.....'cause one pill makes you larger....and one pill makes you small.....;)

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

Another recent change is that Prime music no longer has all the songs for full albums. For example, I'm listening to "Wish you were here" without the first track "Shine on you crazy diamond parts 1-5". I noticed that on something the other day but it took this thread to remind me and start my complaining. :)

It's still not enough to get me to buy into their premium music service, no matter what their marketing dept says.

I can't drop them because even my TV is a Fire TV. I'm kind of regretting that choice right now.

8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I don't like Amazon and buy CD's off ebay for the most part. I used to buy from Itunes and download, then put on a disc but haven't done that in years. I like to have the real CD packaging. I guess I'm old school, I have a 5 CD disc changer that I use in my garage and prefer to own the actual CD.
    I have burned most my CD's to my computer and could put them on my Ipad, then connect it to my garage receiver I guess. I will probably do that when/if my 20 year old CD player kicks it.

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I only rely on YouTube for music. I make a playlist and that's my music app in a nutshell.

10. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

“Leviathan” is more like it.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Really, Amazon is IMO training the masses to pay for free stuff, to over pay for retail, and to accept "free returns!!!" of defective goods they mix in with the functional goods they sell. In return getting a sense of wellbeing?
    And more stuff to stream!

Sure, small business can sell on Amazon, in a sort of share cropper situation.
    So much of what they do is training us to think the couch is some sort of nirvana.

I'm seeing here and there, Amazon zealots who bought in to all the services including letting Alexa operate half the electrical and electronics in their homes; recently sort of wake up and rip out the hundreds of $$ worth of surveillance and voice control equipment, tossing it in a box for the garage sale.

But hey, if you want to pay $20 for a $5 can opener while having your personal data sold to China, feel free to support a monopoly!

12. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Y'all who still buy cds, use Bandcamp, not amazon. More money will get to the artist. Thanks.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Spotify has a completely free version that is ad-supported. It works great if you can stand the occasional radio ad. But no doubt, for me, the premium subscription is incredibly good value. Don't think of it as "renting your music" - you still own the music you own, and you can always buy more. It's more like "cable tv for music" - vastly increased amount of choice and variety. I probably buy more music than I used to because I am exposed to so much more great stuff.

14. telemnemonics

Well we are seeing pockets of revolt in things like slow food, craft beer, small specialty cheese makers, farm to table, tiny house, home gardening; and yesterday I saw a youngish guy at work carrying around a 6x6 film camera.

Seems all the hip/ trendy/ craft stuff has trickled into old time film use with high end pinhole cameras being made in fine woods etc.

Corporate directed living where we consume as suggested by data mined in our personal lives, resulting in larger numbers of cheaply made disposable products we think will make us happy?
    Looks to me like a spreading disease as our resources diminish and our landfills cost as much as what we pay for the short joys of the disposables Amazon pushes.

Sorry, my view may sound rude to some, but so was it rude to see a whole lot of the results that come with disposable mass retail manipulation, of which Amazon is now King.
    Like many things, much of their business strategy is declaring war on the competition.

hemingway likes this.
  15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I heard someone say the other day, in relation to everything being available on music streaming: owning everything, you discover nothing. Very smart.

telemnemonics and TokyoPortrait like this.
  16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

My uncle had an Alexa that someone had given him for Christmas a year or two ago. I told him that it creeped me out (i.e. regarding privacy concerns) and he usually put it in a drawer when I was at his house. Then, a month or two ago, my uncle asked it a question, probably "Alexa, what's the weather today?" The device responded with the forecast, then continued "It seems to me we've spoken before; do you mind if I ask your name?"

He ripped it out of the wall, threw it in the garbage, and called to tell me he should have listened to me in the first place.

Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Damn it all, not to mention having to throw away a perfectly good ice box. Well, you can't really call throwing it away if your wife takes the doors off of it, turns it on its back, and plants tulips in it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks like I'm going to around for a long, long time then.

nojazzhere and soulgeezer like this.
  19. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahahaha that's hilarious!

A 30 something couple I know, the guy is ex Navy submarine electronics and wanted to get more education for whatever cyber data mining tech is called. His fiance hated the idea and was creeped out by the whole scene, plus didn't want an Alexa, but he installed one over her objections.

Fast forward a couple of years and he now hates that whole technology even more than she did when he bought into it, but later took a job in Nuclear power instead of cyber tech.
    In his case at least, he's not a luddite or codger, he really loved the whole enchilada but got deeper into the reality of it and was horrified.
    FWIW.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I use iTunes / iPhone for music in my house / on the go. Audio Engine gear with the computer / reasonably descent headphones and in-ears with the phone.

Until recently, I resisted buying digital versions via iTunes. Now I do, but I still do not have many. Less than twenty albums for sure. Maybe 12?

Okay, that’s wrong - I just went for a scroll, as it where - 31 that I can see. Yoinks, so much for “that’s for sure.” There’s a lesson right there, about consuming.

Anyway, recently I discovered I can often get used CDs at stupid cheap prices here in Japan on Amazon Japan. I suspect it might be cos I’m usually after stuff that is, if not obscure or alternative in the true sense, at least not part of the Modern Consumer canon. So, I think the sellers are happy to incentivise stuff they have trouble shifting and make their money on inflating the shipping.

Last night I ordered two Luna albums, for example. In US dollar equivalents, one cost $3.82 and the other a massive $0.32. With shipping, the lot came to $11.79, but I got it for all for $8.53 by applying the points I ‘earned.’

Anyway, I too am thinking of ditching Prime. I realised I watch very little with it and the shipping thing is of no great advantage for me.

As for ‘what are they up to?’ Well, Bezos is up to making US$2489 per second, with all that that entails.

That’s roughly the entire lifetime earnings of an average US worker with a graduate degree, if you want that in a longer time frame - say, every 15 minutes...

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.