What the hell is Amazon playing at?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hemingway, Aug 3, 2020.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Assuming that I am not missing something obvious, Amazon seems to have removed the 60 second sample clips of songs.

You can now only listen to songs you might want to buy if you download its app and subscribe to its Unlimited service.

I buy CDs of the music I want. I don't want downloads or streaming. If I can't hear samples I'm a lot less likely to buy. And I'm certainly not going to buy from Amazon when it messes me about like this.

Amazon has even removed track listings from the CD page of an album, which just seems spiteful. And stupid. Do they not get that this is the kind of thing that chases customers away?

2. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

They change things pretty regularly when it comes to both thier movies and music sections. I think that the business assumption is that a majority of people just subscribe to a streaming service or if they do purchase they do so digitally. From a business stand point, digital is cheaper than a printed CD or DVD.
    It is really annoying when something you like, or have grown accustomed to, changes. Sigh. "Modernization"

3. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

No offence but you are in the minority. MOST people stream or download. I simply haven’t got the physical space to accommodate the amount of music that Id like to own.

I do however like to own physical copies (I’m 35 years old, probably an age thing). I pay a Spotify subscription but buy certain physical cd’s/vinyl.

YouTube and similar websites are available to sample songs.

Bjackcity and rich815 like this.
  4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I hate Amazon with a passion. Particularly as a seller. It has become way too complicated to even want to use them.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

It's more the little signals they send when they do things like this. They might be a virtual monopoly but it's not good business practice to behave like one in a way that feels like bullying.

I am one of a growing number of people who now only use amazon as a last resort.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are so many great online shops from the UK, I'm not sure why you want to bother with Amazon.

You can use youtube for sample listening, discogs for track listing (or even buying). Also sites like Musicstack or cdandlp.com.

Juno has an online player with track samples (although their shop is kind of expensive).

Bandcamp lets you buy physical media directly from bands.

hemingway likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well there are multiple ways to listen to samples of songs - the whole song. And buying physical CDs is increasingly a niche market, you know. If one purpose is to support the artist, I would recommend finding the artist's home page and buying directly when that is possible - more money in their pocket, same result for you.

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I've experienced this for years because my musical tastes are so obscure that they don't bother to offer clips for many of the artists I follow!!!

Bob

howardlo likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

With all due respect (and I honestly agree with you) the "growing number of people" are on the side of Amazon. Amazon most likely wouldn't make any move that "netted" fewer customers. Sure, they may lose a few (collateral damage) but if the ones remaining are more profitable, it's a "win" for them.
    I'm still upset they don't deliver blocks of ice for my "icebox" on a horse-drawn cart, but, there you go! ;)

10. Jake909

Jake909 TDPRI Member

Bezos originally wanted to call the company Relentless. He changed the name, but not his mindset. His field, his rules.

bcorig, StevesBoogie and nojazzhere like this.
  11. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

"...playing at..."?

They're playing at making money. And, they're very good at it. Whatever Amazon does, you can bet your last dollar that they're doing it to increase profit. It's literally their mission statement: "Make money. Then, make more money. When you've got all the money, make even more money. Then, and only then, you can die."

artdecade, JRtele, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Don't know if that's true.....but it's a good story regardless. ;)

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

You can only die if it makes money.

soulgeezer likes this.
  14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I took the blue pill and remain blissfully ignorant. A lot has been written about the pluses and minuses of Amazon Prime membership. For me, it’s worth it.

Marc Morfei and nojazzhere like this.
  15. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

I'm with you @hemingway. Happened to me last week, and I thought it was my browser! I honestly loved the sample function, as well as the user rating that is next to the play button. I had used it all the time.

Somebody posted an artist here last week, so my first go-to is Amazon to check out the stuff, using the samples. Nope.

Can do the same thing in YouTube but less likely that an entire album is posted out there.

I don't pay for a subscription for music, other than we we get as Amazon Prime members. My only guess is that Amazon is ruthlessly pushing their music subscription and taking away just enough freebies to make you want to switch.

The 20-25 year olds that I know of (in college or recent college grads) all swear by Spotify. That would be my go-to choice, but not for now, just yet.

blowtorch likes this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

those little signals are very likely just your perception. no offense

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

the blue and the red pills are meant to be taken together :)

18. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What is Amazon playing at? Total market domination.

19. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

I have an Amazon HD sub which is pretty good but their are not as many tracks as on utube, but some with utube you load into their new player and they wont work they grey out, and will only play with the old player is mostly the rare stuff which utube is good for as well, although some seem to disappears from the old players lists even at times.

I have the echo show 8 inch which is good because of the screen, and i can plug it into my hifi's as well, and i use my iphone with bluetooth for utubes new player and my itunes songs combined with the echo show. Also the echo show has the old utube player on it also but it is not very easy to opearate i have found.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, we gave up the prime and have been able to find everything akin to what we needed before at equal or better prices elsewhere.

Once I moved from Chicago all the shipping promises became useless as well, which was my biggest personal incentive...having zero patience! When the same day and 1-day promises all became 4-7 business days with excuse after excuse paying that prime fee started to look like a dirty trick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.