What The Heck? MNF....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

Not much of an NFL fan... never watch games but saw the Packers/Detroit was close with <1 minute so turned it on..

With ~40 seconds left Packers RB was headed for the end zone, Detroit players were letting him go and he just sat down on the 3 yard line! A TD would have given GB a 5 point lead with 30 seconds left so Det could have score a TD to win....

THEN GB took a knee on 2 plays to get to 3 seconds left and kick a FG to win which they did....

That was weird.... I never saw a team not take a lead when they could. A TD when you can is better than a maybe FG ......aint it?

I bet there's some gamblers who had GB at more than 1 point pretty pissed off!

G-52 and DonM like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agreed, WTF???? I was hoping they missed the 3 pointer!!

3. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

You're so Wimpy...

unixfish and Buckocaster51 like this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Leaving the game up to a short Mason Crosby field goal and not letting Stafford have a chance to throw the ball wasn't a bad strategy. The game started with two long completions by Stafford, leading to 10 points.

And yes, I think Green Bay was a 4 point favorite, but they trailed the entire game.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I agree with you. I just can’t see telling the offense to not score a touchdown in this case. I think this happens from time to time in the NFL though...RB sitting down on the 1 yd line as a strategic move.

8barlouie and Shuster like this.
  7. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Giving himself up allowed GB to run out the clock and kick the gimme field goal, ensuring DET would not get a chance to touch the ball again.

8. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

You GB fans need to be thanking the refs for that win, what a fiasco.

fendertx, Stubee, joe_cpwe and 3 others like this.
  9. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

This is the Tecmo Bowl clock management system.
    Run in circles with Bo Jackson until the clock runs out.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And - all that was besides the glaringly missed calls that the announcers themselves pointed out as being game-changers had GB been charged with them.

fendertx, h4ck.b0x7 and Uncle Bob like this.
  11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

they did that to control the clock...they still had the downs...used the time so detroit couldnt get the ball back at all

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

The officiating did impact the probability of the outcome. If the official did not call the inaccurate "hands to the face" penalty - GB 's kicker may have attempted a FG from a further distance, lowing the odds of success. And vital time would have remained in the game for a Detroit to attempt a score.

The game was close, as expected, yet it's a shame an official aided the outcome.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya, few missed calls went GB way.
    I may have to add GB to my NE hurl when
    name mentioned list.

14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Clock management, that's all. It's a crucial component of winning football games.

... penalties not withstanding.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The officials are bad all around. They gave Detroit a touchdown in Q1 when the ball clearly never crossed the line. One official standing on the line and closer said no TD. The other official in the line but far away said TD. They went with TD and then upheld because they need to defer to call on field.

I thought the most egregious call was the shot to the head they called on the Lions DB who was clearly watching the ball, stretching out his arms and getting low to try to make the pick on a 50/50 ball. Yes, the Packers receiver took a shot but there was absolutely no intent to line him up and take a shot. It was all playing the ball trying for a pick. Absurd call.

The league has a real problem with officiating and I think review has made it worse for some reason (beyond just extending games needlessly and making them more boring).

I say ditch review. Let people make the calls in real-time without looking over their shoulder for the great eye in the sky to second guess them based on freeze frame high def video.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    8barlouie and Uncle Bob like this.
  16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I remember an Eagles game several years ago, the FIRST time DeSean Jackson played for the Birds, when he was about to score a touchdown, but pulled up at the one yard line and ran parallel to the goal line for most of the width of the field, with a defender in hot pursuit, to burn off clock and then finally scored at the last possible moment. I don't remember but I think they NEEDED a touchdown to win and he made sure he got the touchdown but left as little time on the clock as he could for the other team to attempt a comeback. Pretty heady play...

And, yeah, the officiating is making the NFL nearly unwatchable lately. That Dallas / Jets game looked more fixed than a Chinese election.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  17. MilwMark

I also remember a certain Packers-Broncos Superbowl were the Broncos parted like the Red Sea late in the game to allow a rushing touchdown by the Pack, only to turn around and take the game with the clock the Pack left on the table.

Clock management is all probability at that point and they have very clear numbers supporting the "run the clock rather than take the quick TD" strategy. Kudos to the player for putting team above stats to secure the win.

18. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Or conversely, remove all limits on reviews. Don't you want to be sure they're all right? Either or.

19. MilwMark

No. "right" is subjective. Americans (I am one) don't seem to get that.

The universe is a mercurial place. Perception is flawed. Video can severely distort reality. Officials are calling things in real time, in 3D. Review in 2D, freezing frame is subjective too.

As a friend explained it to me:

- soccer is about beauty
    - football is about "truth"

I lose myself watching soccer. That never happens watching football. Too many interruptions. Too much about "the rules". And the officials. NFL would be better served telling officials to get the hell out of the way and let the players play. But instead they legislate everything. And get extra commercials as a result. Hmmm

Unfortunately, the football mentality has now infected soccer. And VAR is impacting the experience as well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    raysachs likes this.
  20. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Run that clock down move,,,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.