What the heck is Whitewood?

Dep

Tele-Holic
I'm going to build some storage shelves in my garage. Nothing fancy, just construction grade stuff.

I was at Lowes and Home Depot and was pricing out what I was going to need.
I had planned on using pine 2x4s, but they had something there called whitewood that was 60 to 70 cents cheaper per board.

What the heck is whitewood??? I'm not much of a wood worker, though I want to start doing some things in the near future.

Should I stick with the pine or go with the whitewood?

Dep

Thundersleet

Tele-Afflicted
Look at the specs on the Home Depot site.

Primary Specific Wood Species : Spruce (Picea)

Secondary Specific Wood Species : Fir (Abies)

It does vary depending on the way the wood is cut. Some is listed as:

Primary Specific Wood Species : Norway Spruce (Picea abies)

Secondary Specific Wood Species : ..No secondary wood species

Dep

Tele-Holic
Thanks Thunder. I checked under specs on the lowe's site but for species it just said whitewood. I didn't check under Home Depots.

Looks like I'll be using the whitewood for the shelves.

Thanks
Dep

big-daddy-59

Tele-Holic
Yeah , whitewood is basically a generic term for a number of softwoods including eastern white pine, various spruces and several fir subspecies.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Calling it whitewood just frees the vendor up to switch suppliers as needed without changing product descriptions. Pretty soon they'll just be selling us Wood. Of course, some of the best toys are made from Wood:

Thundersleet

Tele-Afflicted
There is another way that term could be used. When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was a joke of an adult nature.

Westerly Sunn

Poster Extraordinaire
In the Lowes around here, it's all whitewood until you get up to at least a 2x6, then you can get yellow pine; that is as far as dimensional construction lumber goes...

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Should I stick with the pine or go with the whitewood?

The pine is not super stable, but it is tougher and dent resistant next to the whitewood. More likely to hold a fastener.

If that garage to not climate controlled, you might want to avoid that whitewood. Throw a piece of that in the garden over the weekend and it is all but unusable in our climates by the time you get back to it. Very biodegradable. :eek: