What the heck is "ivroid" binding?

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
I was looking through the guitar stuff section of the Grizzly catalog; they have "black fiber" binding, "white fiber" binding, and "ivroid" binding (I think I spelled it right - I'm just too lazy to go check the book).

Does anyone know what the ivroid is? Is it as "bendy" as the black and white stuff (which I've heard you can coax into shape with a hair dryer)? In the little picture, it sort of looks like it has a grain to it... does it really have a pattern, or was that just the printing?

Am I correct in assuming the real wood binding that Grizzly has would be hard to bend around a Telecaster?

Jack Wells

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I think ivoroid is just plastic made to resemble ivory. The Merle Haggard Telecaster has an ivoroid pickguard ivoroid binding.

From a distance it just looks like a cream color. Viewed close up you see lines in it.

...... Ivoroid Pickguard.jpg

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks jwells and Big Tony. I'll try to find a picture that Merle Haggard Telecaster.

I see the picture now, Mr. Wells. It hadn't loaded when I hit the reply.

Last edited:

Tim Armstrong

Super Moderator
Ad Free Member
Yeah, ivoroid is to ivory like pearloid is to mother-of-pearl.

Here's a good pic from StewMac:

0112_1lg.jpg

Cheers, Tim

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks, Tim. Does that stuff has some "depth" or dimension to it (do you know what I mean), or it is just a flat-looking pattern.

And here's a picture of that Haggard Tele. Can't really tell that it's "ivoroid" binding in the little picture.
HaggardTele.jpg

Sleph

Friend of Leo's
...the only thing tackier than making something out of plastic is making it out of plastic that looks like something else.

Like the plastic carbon fibre that they use in car dashboards...or better yet, the plastic walnut....and guitar users have plastic dead-animal remnents...it's kinda strange what we perceive as an upgrade....:rolleyes: