What the heck is going on here????

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by backalleyblues, Aug 27, 2014.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To outline my troubles...

Was playing my solo gig last Saturday on my Martin D-1R with a Fishman Gold pickup in it, when all of a sudden, all the bass dropped out of the plugged-in sound of the guitar!!! Think like all you could hear was the tweeter on your home stereo, that's what it was like... Mercifully, it was near the end of the gig and I switched over to my National to finish the set.

So last night, I pulled the strings off and looked at the pickup itself-nothing I could see wrong with it... re-seated the saddle, put the battery back in (fresh one)-and I still have no bass... so what gives? Did the preamp give up the ghost, or something else is wrong? What should I be looking for?

Acoustically, the guitar sounds fine, so it's not the guitar itself (or the player-I think!!!)... is there an easy fix, or do I have to get a new pickup system put in?

Please, clues for a clueless one here...

Thanks,
    Franc Robert

2. backalleyblues

Follow up-

Plugged it into one of my guitar amps tonight, and the bass is back! But now I've got a VERY loud hum, some sort of grounding issue-it goes away whenever I touch the endpin/output jack. Took the preamp out tonight, checked and reflowed a couple solder joints that looked suspicious-no dice, still got the buzz and hum...

So do I rip out the electronics and replace them? On the plus side, this is a "working" guitar, with all the usual scratches and scuffs from being on the road, and not any sort of vintage piece... and while I prefer something simple that flat out works (one of the reasons I've liked this Martin so much-plug it in and play!!!) and is easy to deal with, is there something better out there? Without doing too much woodwork?

Thoughts and opinions, please!!! Got some pretty important gigs coming up using this guitar (along with my National)

Franc Robert

3. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Did the bass go away when you plugged your guitar back into whatever setup you use to gig with?

The buzz and hum may be from the fact that the acoustic guitar is not as grounded as an electric guitar.

Have you eliminated any pedals that are between your guitar and amp? Have you tried a different cable?

Most troubleshooting is a process of elimination; people who fix things for a living usually figure out what the problem is not before they figure out what it is. The more you can eliminate as a cause, the easier it is to troubleshoot.

Good luck in your troubleshooting.

4. backalleyblues

Not the cable, tried several known good cables.

Not the amp or PA setup, same behavior in everything I tried. Buzz would go away whenever I touched the metal end of the cord (obviously a grounding issue).

I normally don't use pedals with this guitar, it's straight into the board or amp.

I've got a buddy who is going to look into this issue as well (luthier)... might come up with something I hadn't thought of yet...

Franc Robert

5. backalleyblues

Found this tidbit on the Fishman website-

I'll have to check the pickup again...

Franc Robert

6. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I had a similar problem and found a bad connections of the internal wiring at the endpin. Older guitar, new to me, and it was a funky intermittent thing.

The endpin had been turned to where the wires at the solder connection were getting worn and a few loose strands were shorting across from one lead to the other.

Cleaned it up and haven't had any problems with it since.

Hope yours is as simple to fix as mine when you find the problem.

7. backalleyblues

Well, I re-seated the piezo element last night (also did a nut repair) and WOW! Hum is gone (for now anyways) and the guitar just rings, even with somewhat beaten up strings! I'll test it again tonight, to be sure.

Murky, that was one of my first thoughts also, but it doesn't appear to be that (already confirmed).

Franc Robert

8. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Good to hear you have it back to work.

9. backalleyblues

Confirmed, I tried it again this am, and it's still working perfectly! And boy, how it just rings... Martin tone in spades on this guitar!!!! One less worry now...

Franc Robert

10. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I'm glad it was something simple to fix. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.