1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Tele model for that late 60s soul tone?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RockinRobin, Oct 23, 2020.

1. RockinRobin

RockinRobin TDPRI Member

Hi there, first time poster here. I'm mostly an acoustic guitar player and I'm now diving into the electric guitar world. It is very deep with models, pickups, setups etc... but I'm willing to learn and this place is the best for this.

I have an album project which will be very Memphis Soul / Blues Brothers influenced. The electric guitar parts I'm writing are very funky, and my only electric a Duesenberg Starplayer TV Mike Campbell doesn't seem to catch that vibe. So I'm considering selling the Duesy and get a Telecaster instead. Naturally, I'm aiming for that Steve Cropper sound.

What Brand/model of Tele would you recommend me buying? I've read many things but there are so many models, iterations, variations, pickup types that I'm a bit lost trying to decide which one is the one. G&L ASAT was mentionned many times, but which one? What should I really watch for? I read for instance that the pickups should have vintage specs and low output to get closer to this sound I'm aiming for. Then I should have the neck pickup slightly lower than the bridge... these advices also interest me.

Budget would be less than 2000€, but I'd be happy to get a great quality instrument that fits the bill at less than 1000€. I'm also willing to make mods if you feel it's necessary.

Thanks !

PS : I know that tone "is in the fingers" but the right instruments helps ;)

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

In my view ANY decent/good "vintage-style" tele will do. Extra points if "60s". Starting from there, it depends on
    - what neck you like: thin, fat…?
    - what fretboards you like: vintage spec (7'25'', vintage frets) or a but more modern (9'5'', medium jumbo or "vintage tall")
    - budget and what you find on the market.

Above $1000 my list would be:

- Jimmy Page: essentially a reissue of Cropper's own tele, but pricey
    - AV64 … my tele, very close to a perfect Cropper-caster, full vintage spec, that sound, nice C neck flaring up to pretty substantial C up the neck
    - AVRI 62 "Custom"… if you like small necks it's THE tele to have.
    - AVRI 52 if you like a bigger neck and a slightly beefier sound
    - American Original … like the 64, but flatter radius, taller frets. Double-bound like the 62 Custom

Sub $1000

- Baja 60s: I loved mine… super pickups, 9'5'' radius, medium jumbo frets, mid-C neck, lovely looks does not cost much. Not sure that the new "Vintera mod" 60s has the same pickups
    - Classic 60s: same neck but full vintage spec
    - Vintera 50s: maple neck, chunkier neck, lovely. I'd say the 60s, but I don't like the fact that it has a bigsby.

These are those I like, and I think you'd like them too!

Here's my AV64

2c In Case from below.jpeg

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The amp you choose is more important to the tone than the model of Tele you select.

Welcome to the craziness!

4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I'd say that my stock LH Squier CV50 Tele 2020 "Indonesia" nails the Booker-T & the MG's tone very well :

[​IMG]

I play it on reharsal and concerts with my SF PR :

[​IMG]

That combination does the job as expected... At least to me and my bandmates ! :D;)

-tbln.

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Fair points from both @Peegoo and @tubelectron ! To reiterate: don't stress… any vintage-style tele in a good Fender amp will do the trick! IIRC Princeton Reverb is also a fairly close relation to Tweed Harvards circuit-wise, so really a good pick!

mrmousey and Greggorios like this.
  6. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Technique is even more important than gear. Don't believe me? Watch the first three and a half minutes of this rock-a-billy video. The same concept applies

7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Any Tele will do.
    Focus on your amp and playing.

8. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

and the way you record, mix and master it is probably even more important to the tone than that.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Tele with single coil pickups. Thinline for extra p'zazz

mrmousey likes this.
  10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Just stay away from hot or overwound pickups. Vintage style low output pickups will give you what you need. Technique does the rest.

11. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for "any Telecaster with regular single coils pickups".

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

(1) Technique
    (2) Technique
    (3) Vintage-style Telecaster pickups
    (4) Clean tube amp
    (5) Technique

PS—Technique...really!

hepular, Bandboy, hotraman and 3 others like this.
  13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1
    Vintage style rather than noiseless or other offerings

14. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Good gear info above.

For technique, there are a lot of videos to check out, but this is a great primer.

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Just to reiterate: any Fender tele with standard single-coils plus any Fender amp with reverb and trem. I'm playing an American Special with pretty hot pickups through a blackface Princeton Reverb and that Cropper sound is just right there. Heresy: you can get pretty close with a Strat too, particularly with the middle pickup.

16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Vintera 60s mos

17. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've been really into 50's style Teles for the longest time. But recently I acquired an American Original 60's Tele and it has a sound that's its own. All those jangly 1960's tones that you can imagine are right there. 50's style Teles sound a bit more mid-pushed and barky. The 60's is more articulate with a cleaner sound. The neck pickup warm with a glassy overtone. It's the Tele you want if it's in your price range.

If not I'd say the Vintera 60's.

18. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Squier and a SF Twin Reverb, there's your 1000 bux.

19. RockinRobin

RockinRobin TDPRI Member

Thanks guys for the great insights. I'm using a Kemper for my amp tones and found a very neat Vibrolux profile that should be the same amp as a Harvard. And I have access to many clean Fender profiles so I don't worry much on this side.

hotraman likes this.
  20. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome. Nice to have you here. Lot's of good input above. I like this @Fiesta Red post, simple, clear and to the point. Now I gotta go and continue to work on...Technique.;)

Fiesta Red likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.