1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What style of music and type of pickups do you play?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hawk45, Nov 27, 2020.

1. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

1. Mostly roots music: Western swing, country-jazz, trad jazz, jump blues, country blues, ragtime, rock and roll.
    Not rock, unless it's weird and noisy.

2. Clean. Edge of breakup on an amp. Or fuzz.

3. I like old fashioned pickups with lower output and some extra treble. I don't like overwound rock pickups because they just sound like all midrange to me. My neck pickup is a duncan alnico II pro, and bridge pickup is cavalier bakersfield. Most correct-ish 50s style pickups will work fine for me.

4&5. Stock fender wiring and pots. Might change tone cap. Might flip control plate.

drewg likes this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

50s-70s pop and rock, classic country, a bit of blues and jazz, 95% clean, with pedals for dirt. Pickups on practically all my electrics have been changed to minihums, with piezo pickups in the bridge, getting acoustic sounds when wanted. Avatar is equipped with L R Baggs M80 active pickup- makes the old Martin sound great amplified.

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

1. Classic rock, pop, classic country, and some blues.

2. Depends on the song. Clean, cranked up, really dirty, whatever the song requires.

3. Whatever pickups came with the guitar when I bought it.
    If it sounded lousy, I wouldn't have bought it.

4. Bone stock.

5. Bone stock.

:)

4. Modernelove

Modernelove Tele-Meister

I mostly noodle in a quasi-Americana style. I play a telecaster with Fender 58 American Vintage pickups. I think it sounds pretty good. I never messed with the wiring but I put a different pick guard on it. I mostly play clean but am looking to get into some kind of distortion so if anyone can recommend a good dirt or overdrive I'm all ears.

5. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Mostly rootsy stuff, Old Country, Blues, a bit of Jazz, 60s-70s rock/pop.
    Clean to edge of breakup mostly, nothing really heavy.
    My partscaster tele has Wilde L48TL bridge & L45S neck. Standard wiring, 250k pots, 22 cap. Low inductance blade humbuckers. They can cover just about any genre from Jazz to Surf to Metal.

But right now my fav pickups are the TVJ Classics in my White Falcon.

6. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

Country-Blues- 50-60's R&R - Southern Gospel and Southern Rock.

Please note that both my Telecaster and Stratocaster have Ash Bodies and Maple Fret boards.
    Telecaster -Standard 440 A Tuning / Stratocaster - Eb Tuning / Strings = 009 -0042 D'Addario XL

My main Fender Telecaster has Rio Grande Pickups [Half Breed in the Neck and Muy Grande in the Bridge]

https://www.riograndepickups.com/halfbreed-for-tele-neck-rwrp

https://www.riograndepickups.com/muy-grande-for-tele-bridge

My only Fender Stratocaster has Van Zandt Pickups [ Vintage Plus in the Neck and Middle - Blues in the Bridge ]

https://vanzandtpickups.com/shop?olsPage=products/vintage-plus

https://vanzandtpickups.com/shop?olsPage=products/blues-pickup

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Country, Blues, Pop, Rock, Metal. Traditional single coils, traditional humbuckers, single-size rail humbuckers.

8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

What style of music...

Soul, Funk, Rhythm'n'Blues, Blues, Rock'n'Roll, Santana... No Metal.

... And type of pickups do you play?

Nearly all types (see below), except active and Metal-orientated pickups.

[​IMG]

Please note : despite that my guitars are Lefties and nearly all modded, I use Right-Handed pickups and Right-Handed pots (conventional sense of operation)... :rolleyes:

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

Tyuk, dougstrum, eean and 2 others like this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Actually, they’re all good.

That might sound like a smart ar*ed answer, but I think it’s true.

Problem is, they’re all good for something, not for everything.

Will depend on style / type of desired sound / guitar type / individual guitar quirks / amp type / individual amp quirks / technique / etc.

Too many variables to recommend anything at this stage.

Go here, as it is a good starting point. Think about it and try one of the standard classics from the tone group you think best suits your situation. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Pax/
    Dean

JL_LI, Modernelove and hawk45 like this.
  10. hawk45

hawk45 TDPRI Member

Not to help sidetrack my own thread, but the JHS videos are very entertaining and educational. Josh (who owns JHS) is just one of the guys that's super passionate about pedals and recommends other brands over his all the time.. cheap and/or grails. He's and amazing source of music history and of course all things pedals. Great way to waste a Sunday hitting his playlist.

11. hawk45

hawk45 TDPRI Member

Your fingers had to have been sore from opening all those cases. Amazing collection!

12. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

1. Attempted Jazz, and Funk
    2. Mainly clean, or boosted, with an occassional mild fuzz
    3. Strat single in the neck (Bootstrap '54 sparkle), Tele single in the bridge (Gemini Suprocaster)
    4. No tone pot. The pickups I have sounded best running straight volume to output
    5. Yes 250k CTS

hawk45 likes this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

To be honest, while this thread might be fun, and attractive to people who like to talk about their guitars (I’m here, after all), I doubt it will yield anything useful in the way of usable information, other than to once again demonstrate that we all like different stuff, have different ways to achieve the same or similar, and we often disagree, etc.

But, I’ll play :)

1. Dunno. Garage rock I’m told.
    2. Other than high gain, everything.
    3. Don’t really care. Just has to somehow sound pleasing to me. Vintage flavoured I guess.
    4. Series switch added for one Tele. So-called 50s wiring in another Tele and an LP.
    5. Once. Replaced Japanese pots with US ones. Then had to modify the volume with a resistor as it was too far out of spec. Then had to clean / lube them six months later as they’d become scratchy. So much for that myth...

Pax/
    Dean

Marc Morfei and hawk45 like this.
  14. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Thanks @hawk45 ! :)

That's right... :(:lol:

[​IMG]

-tbln.

Tyuk and hawk45 like this.
  15. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant Tele-Meister

I love jazz and I live on humbucker neck pickups that have some output. I can suggest:

Duncan Phat Cat (HB-size P-90)
    DiMarzio Liquifire
    Allparts Mini Humbucker (Kent Armstrong)
    Gibson 498R
    Gibson ‘57 Classic Plus

There is also a good HB that nails a powerful Tele neck sound: DiMarzio Bluesbucker.

16. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My Carvin guitar has the Carvin M22SD bridge and M22V neck humbuckers. I play in a classic rock/classic country band.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

1. My main influences are '50s and '60s R&B (a catchall term for "black American music," including blues, doo-wop, soul, etc.), rock-n-roll, country/western, folk, and pop. There are others, but this makes up my main wheelhouse.

2. Things are adjustable for a reason...but I largely play clean to a bit broken up, but broken up using right hand pressure and amp volume with what would be considered relatively clean amp settings by most.

3. Low output "vintage" style pickups. With the dynamic right hand I have developed, and the smaller amps I usually use, heavier pickups fuzz out and mud up way too early – plus I don't generally like the e.q. distribution of heavily wound pickups.

4. I do stuff, but nothing major. I think most of the classic Fender designs were pretty right on from the start. I do have my own preferred Tele wiring. It's classic Esquire in positions 1 and 2, with no "modern" Tele middle position.

5. I "upgrade" pots when cheap ones crap out. Otherwise, I only change in order to change value or taper, or to include a push/pull.

18. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Sorry tele players but I started out as a strat guy, went to teles for about 15 years but went back to strats 5 years ago.

My 5 year old strat is a Squier Deluxe strat that I absolutely love and I have a Dimarzio Heavy Blues 2 in the bridge and a Dimarzio 54 Pro in the middle, neck pup is the stock Duncan Designed SC101.

I play country from classic country to some more modern country. My sound will vary from totally clean to mild overdrive to some distortion via a Rat Pedal. The Heavy Blues 2 bridge pup can handle it all and I love the 54 Pro in the middle. I have a piece of matchstick I cut down wedged in my 5 way switch that prevents me from going past the middle setting to the neck to avoid releasing my inner SRV with the neck pickup. My typical sound is bridge or bridge/middle combo.

I typically wear out a volume pot every 10-12 months and replace them once they become scratchy or intermittent and I usually have 3 on hand at all times.

19. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Play all genre's, Duncan or Dimarzio
    can't go wrong. Duncan on Tele Dimarzio on Strat.

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a broadcaster/twisted tele set in my Tele. They seem a little hotter than standard tele pickups. Lately I have been gravitating more toward HBs. So I am pondering whether to swap them out or have a second tele with HBs. Probably will do the latter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.