1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What style of music and type of pickups do you play?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hawk45, Nov 27, 2020.

1. hawk45

hawk45 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

As a someone who loves to modify my guitars and looking at getting my first telecaster, I am interested in which pickups everyone is playing based on their specific type of music and style of playing. Thought it my be easy to just get one thread going that listed it all out in one place:

1. Which type of music/style do you play (jazz, blues, country, classic rock, modern rock, grunge/alternative, metal, etc)?
    2. Do you play clean, over driven or with the gain way up?
    3. What make/model pickups have you found worked best at both neck and bridge (singles/humbucking and high/medium/low output)?
    4. Did you do any alternative wiring (series/parallel) or keep it factory?
    5. Did you upgrade pots (250/500) for volume or tone?

Whether you twang n' bang or want a PRS sound in a tele body, we'd love to here what's under the hood.

Cheers,
    Hawk

Terrygh1949 likes this.
  2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

P90's

kbold likes this.
  3. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

1. Jazz and classic rock.
    2. Clean and overdriven but not high gain.
    3. My favorite neck pickup was a Lindy Fralin Unbucker that I had in an Epiphone, such sweet and pleasant string seperation when OD'd; I realized tonight that the Blackguard bridge pickup in my Broadcaster reissue is the single coil version of that, the closest thing I've found since.
    4. Factory, but I swap stuff out sometimes.
    5. I have a vintage Tokai Reborn Old LS120 that came with the PCB. I swapped in a 50s harness with CTS 500k pots and it made a world of difference. A much bigger sound. So I would do it hands down with a Squier Bullet, for example.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I play both kinds of music, country and jazz. In like my Teles w/humbucker neck and single coil bridge.I really like clean bright neck humbuckers, and slightly hot bridge.
    Fire bird/pre-b-1
    Mini humbucker/ tonrider hot classic
    Filtertron/hot classic

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Rock & some drop tune & clean

500t
    Dirty Fingers
    SD Screamin demon
    SD parallel Axis
    Dimarzio PAF Master
    T-tps
    Gibson mini hums
    61 Zebra
    p90
    Dimarzio mini SD p90 size
    various PAF's
    singles in the melody maker
    whatever comes in fenders

Chicago Matt likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Rock & some drop tune & clean

500t
    Dirty Fingers
    SD Screamin demon
    SD parallel Axis
    Dimarzio PAF Master's
    T-tps
    Gibson mini hums
    61 Zebra
    p90
    Dimarzio mini SD p90 size
    various PAF's
    singles in Melody maker
    whatever come in fenders

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

1/2. I play a wide variety of music, but mostly clean to mildly overdriven blues/country/rock

3. While I have a good mix of different types of pickups, I have a preference for hotter single coils and underwound humbuckers. I'm particularly partial to P90's and Firebird style mini-humbuckers in the neck position and PAF style humbuckers in the bridge position.

4. I use a lot of alternative wiring methods, including a 4 way switch on a Tele and master volume/tone with independent bridge on switching on a Strat

5. I prefer no-load tone pots.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  9. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Post punk. Use p90s and humbuckers. I do use a jazzmaster as well.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  10. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

1. Blues and 60’s Rock
    2. Clean and overdriven, sometimes fuzz
    3. Factory American Standards and Vintage Singles on Telecaster’s - Factory Gibson '57 Classic Humbuckers on SG
    4. Stock
    5. Nope

Chicago Matt likes this.
  11. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Hard blues/rock

Lately a Les Paul Standard with Burstbucker 1 and 2. But I can make most anything work with a dirty amp. Don’t mod anything other than pickup change on a couple.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  12. SJFR80

SJFR80 TDPRI Member

P90s definitely!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Rocker here. Right now I'm playing everything from mellow Neil Young and the Moody Blues to Joe Satriani and the Offspring, and I don't match the guitar to the music. If I've got my Tele in my hands I'll still play Satriani, if I've got my SG I'll still play the mellow stuff. As for pickups, all that matters to me is that they sound good in some way. Otherwise I'll yank'em and put in something that I like.

I've got about a dozen electrics. Lots of different pickups, from Vintage Noiseless in my Strat to the classic 490R/490T set in my SG. I've pretty much got the full spectrum covered. Now if I'm recording I'll probably pick something that I think will give me the best tone for the mix, but otherwise it's making do with whatever's in my hands. That's part of the fun.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  14. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

For Tele with lower-wattage Tweed tube amp:
    1. Primarily Blues and Blues/Rock
    2. Clean and distorted - Tube amp cranked to distortion with guitar volume on 10, so it cleans up well by reducing guitar volume.
    3. Singles - slightly hotter than vintage to increase mids and reduce ice pick highs. OR noiseless stacked that still sound like singles.
    4. Stock Tele 3-way wiring (but with a moderate treble bleed so tone sounds the same regardless of guitar volume pot setting.
    5. Standard 250k pots
    For Strat (same music and amp):
    Stock Eric Clapton Stratocaster

For Gibson (same music and amp):
    Stock (but with treble bleeds) with low-wind PAF type pickups

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  15. smuc

smuc TDPRI Member

1. Classic rock
    2. Light to medium overdrive - think stones or Black Crowes
    3. If you are asking about a tele - Fender Pure Vintage 64
    4. Yes, had a Baja tele. All these series parallel out of phase gimmicks are exactly that - gimmicks.
    5. No and yes. I use stock stuff on my teles, with the exception of one partscaster esquire where I put the linear taper on volume so that I can control the gain easier.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I play use my guitars primarily to accompany myself on country, and singer/songwriter/indie genres. I play a little blues and jazz as well. I dropped N4 Noiseless pickups in my Telecaster and haven’t looked back. They do everything from twang to smooth jazz. My #1 is a FCS ‘69 Stratocaster with CS ‘69 pickups. I love the middle pickup sound on that one. The Filter-Tron pickups in my Gretsch are great for the singer/songwriter/indie vocal accompaniment but less good for jazz and blues. But truth be told, I play everything I play on all my guitars, unamplified acoustic, Stratocaster with VN’s, and Gibson SG with 490 R and T included with a strong preference for either my FCS Stratocaster or my Telecaster.

Gary135r likes this.
  17. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I attempt to play all styles, and play "all" pickups as I feel the need (I will say "all," here, I have humbuckers, P90s, Strat single coils, Burns TriSonics(singles as well), and original '60's gold foils (singles as well)....they all have their place, I guess....but I DO love my old Harmony with the DeArmond goldies....learned on and grew up playing them first, so a lot is probably nostalgia, but, they sound like "home" to me :)

18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Classic rock/spacey rock.
    Light/Mid OD
    Dimarzio PAF Master and 35th anniversary
    Bill Lawrence Keystones
    I like to leave mine stock until I get to know it. When I hear something I want to improve I do.

hawk45 and Dismalhead like this.
  19. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I play traditional ska/bluegrass and also Diamanda Galas and Shockabilly covers in my band Smelly Bum. I use a Harmony Rocket in low G tuning with SD Armageddon Now pickups and three Peavey keyboard amps. My other guitar is a heavily modified tenor saxophone tuned to the Arabic tone system of Safi al-Din Abd al-Muʾmin ibn Yusof ibn Fakhir al-Ormawi al-Baghdadi.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I mostly play classic jazz standards, clean. I have an Ibanez AF-85 with whatever stock humbuckers Ibanez used in 2005. I have no plans to change pickups.

rand z likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.