What strings do you use/why?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jack Clayton, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Would love to hear more detail on what you like about the Mangans. What would you say sets them apart from the other stuff you've used?

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

D'Addario EXL110's or Ernie Ball 2221's.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

.09s for electric, .11s for acoustic. I use light because my fingers appreciate it.

As for brand, whatever I can get for cheap - usually multi packs of D'Addarios or GHS Boomers.

4. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

Ernie Ball 9s and 10s. 9s on my strat and PRS because they are easier to bend and feel good on those. 10s on my two teles because they seem twangier to me. 10s on everything else. I like Martin 10s on acoustic. On bass, normally Ernie Ball 50s, but I got a deal on some Fender stainless flatwound, and I am digging them for the way they feel - nice and smooth. But they sound darker, so I will go back to Balls when they wear out. I like Ernie Ball strings because they don't rust (at least mine don't) and they feel good under my fingers.

5. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like pain... and I fitted a 3/8" truss rod to the neck... ;)

ernie-ball-2838-nickel-wound-6-string-slinky-bass-strings-long-scale-032-130-9 (1).jpg

6. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Thomann own brand at €1.10 a set, I think the reason is obvious, The jury is still out on the electric strings, but the acoustic at €1.30 a set are superb, just changed a set on my epiphone hummingbird after three months very regular use, I highly recommend them

Should say I use 10's and 9's on electrics, 12's on acoustic

7. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

D’Addario 12-53s on all acoustics

Gibson Vintage 9-42s on electrics, but sometimes Ernie Ball or GHS Boomers. It depends on my mood and whether there’s an “R” in the name of the month or not.

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Ernie Ball for my standards. Stringjoy for my baritone because I need custom gaiges.

9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Usually Elixir 10s, either optiweb or nanoweb. The polyweb feel like rubber bands to me and shed like crazy. But I like Elixir for their life span and they sound good to me.

I also like DR Pure Blues.

I have a couple free Daddario knock offs for backups that I got when I bought a guitar from a store. In a pinch whatever works.

For acoustic I’m using Daddario 10s. Recently switched to 10s and loving it, but haven’t gone down the rabbit hole of tone chasing for 10s on acoustic yet. The Daddarios have been fine.

10. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I used to use D'Addarios with a wound third on all guitars, but after putting Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing flatwounds on a hollow body, I liked them so much I now put them on all of the guitars I regularly play. They are bright for flats (without being twangy), they're warmer than regular round wounds, they have a relatively low string tension, they don't squeak, and they last forever... the guitars I regularly use haven't needed a string change in over a year.

I use:
    10-44 on solid bodies
    11-47 on semi-hollows
    12-50 on hollows

Mixed set on a Les Paul

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  11. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    My fingers seem to slide over these best..

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that's what i have on my jaguar right now.

13. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

When I first started playing acoustic, I kinda used whatever they sold me at Dugan’s Piano and Organ store where I took lessons. When I got my first electric, I remember buying Black Diamond strings because KISS had a song by that name. When I got my Electra Stratocaster copy I bought Fender Bullets (because I thought I had to). As time went on I acquired many more electric and acoustic guitars, electric Basses, and other stringed instruments. I use different brands and different gauges on different instruments and it’s not always based on scale length (I use 9-42 on Strats and 10-46 on Teles). I’d say GHS Boomers 10-46 Would be my go to but I do use some 9’s on some instruments. I use 11’s on my Gretsch Electromatic Jet and 12 flatwounds on my Gretsch Electromatic 5420 model. I buy individual strings for my Keef-inspired Open-G 5-string. I have four electric 12-strings (all home-made copies of a Fender XII, A Rickenbacker 620-12, a Vintage model 360-12, and one 335-style kit) and I use different brands and gauges on all of them except for the two Ricky-models both use the same. I have a 28” scale baritone that has D’Addario 14-68 on it. On most of my Acoustics, or at least the four that I play very often (D-18, OM-18, 000-18 and D-28/12...all Sigma Martins) I use Martin Marquee’s. On Basses, I use different gauges as well, but more by gauge than brand. P-bass and Music-Man get 45-105, Jazz gets 40-100. I use Roto-Sound 40-100 on my Rickenbacker and these black-coated things on my Hofner.

14. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir TDPRI Member

9.5 to 44s for me. I like the tone of a set of 10s a little better, but I can’t bend them for as long a period of time as the set of 9.5s. Country player here who likes D’Addario strings.

15. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'll use Ernie Ball Slinky 9-42 in a pinch, but for the most part I use D'Addario EXL120-3D. Also known as nickel-wound 9-42. I went through a phase of putting 10s on all my 'Gibson-scale' guitars but with the tendonitis I might back them down to 9s. I have D'Addario Chrome flats on my passive Squier bass. It's either a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe, I can never remember which. Flats on that bass are a match made in heaven though.

I'd played other brands of strings when I was young and destitute (I recall a brand called "Hard Rockin' Steel" as the only ones I could afford), and D'Addarios were the first 'real' strings I bought when I could afford them. I've never felt a need to look elsewhere. I generally only get Ernie Balls when my gauge of D'Addarios is sold out (it happens sometimes). The Ernie Balls are fine, but I'm a bit beholden to D'Addario:

About 10 years ago I picked up a used guitar that had corroded strings on it. I bought a new 3-pack of D'Addarios and strung it up, and they sounded completely dead. No crispness, no 'schliinnggg!" sound when you rub your hands across them, none of that. I took those strings off and put on another set from the pack. Same thing.

I went on harmony central forums and explained this, asking if anyone had ever had new strings that were 'stale'. A rep from D'Addario actually replied to my thread. Apparently they had some issues with counterfeit strings, and not only did he check on the strings by lot code, he sent me a new 3-pack of strings directly from the factory. What a guy!

And I put on a set straight from D'Addario, fresh as can be, and they were... dead. It turned out that all 3 sets of strings were just fine, but the guitar was an absolute turd. So I felt like a real flunkie, but I very much appreciated the help straight from D'Addario from my whiny forum post.

EDIT: Oh, the only other strings that have made me curious were Fender Bullets. When I was in my phase of buying up Affinities from newbies who gave up, a lot of them came with factory-installed Bullets. They were usually tired, but they have an interesting 'mellow' tone to them when they age. They felt real bendy, too. Most of what I read about them online is pretty negative, so MMMV.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  16. cyclopean

outside of string gauge and coated/noncoated/round/flat, i've never noticed any kind of brand difference between strings.

i put .13s on anything shorter than a tele scale and .11s on anything traditional fender scale.

17. cyclopean

people pawn their old strings?

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

It’s hard times around here :)

cyclopean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.