What strings do you use/why?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jack Clayton, Aug 1, 2020.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What's that joke, I listen to both kinds of music, Country and Western? I switch between T-I and T-I.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Henley and nojazzhere like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I use these D’Addarios on a hardtail one-humbucker Squier Bullet Special, my main guitar.

A5E125D9-6452-4F71-87C1-54A65366809E.jpeg

I have been using .011-.048, .011-.049, .011-.050 sets pretty interchangeably since the early 90s...usually D’Addario or Ernie Ball. I settled on these because the B and G strings are slightly heavier and the A string is slightly lighter than most sets (.015, .019 and .037 instead of .014, .018 and .038). It’s a tonal balance thing; not sure I can feel much tension difference. My guitar appeals to me because of how bright and resonant and zingy it is, but I started feeling like it was a little thin up top and the A string was slightly prominent. I spent a lot of time tweaking pickup height and tilt, then discovered these. Together with pickup adjustment fine-tuning, they did the trick.

I never put that much time into string selection on various prior multi-pickup guitars. I play cleaner now and am more sensitive to what range I can get from the single pickup, I guess.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

D'addario EXL115 (11-49) on Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and anything with a Bigsby. EXL110 (10-46) on everything else. I'm much more picky with my basses, though- I have D'addario Nickel Wounds (Jaguar bass), Chromes (P-bass), and Rotosound 77s (Jazz bass) fitted on those.

Why? Because decades ago the guys at my local shop recommended D'addario, and it ain't broke so I don't fix it.

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I have a recently kindled love affair with aluminum bronze strings. They are wonderful!

StrangerNY likes this.
  5. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

stringjoys. 8s on the prs. 11s on the hannah montana & the acoustic. strings last & i'm dealing directly with real people who bothered to look after a nobody when that nobody got hurt.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I play both kinds of music, rock and roll, on D'Addario EXL 110s. :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I can play pretty much any gauge on a well set-up guitar. I am currently running 8s on my Strat, 9s on my Tele and Les Paul, 10s on my Ibanez Roadstar, and flat 13s on my Ibanez Archtop.

To the max extent possible, I run Ernie Ball strings. I have used D'Addario and GHS many times over the years and almost always break them prematurely. Recently, I bought a set of D'Addario 9s to try them again, and the E string unwound at the base of the string as I was bringing it up to tension...

That said, I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure I run D'Addario flats on my Archtop, and I have had no issues, though I certainly don't play it as aggressively as my electrics. For a few years I ran flats on everything, which I really liked for a while. But when I started getting into the Tele I couldn't get it to twang at all with flats, so I've started migrating back. I still run flats on my basses and archtops.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Curt Mangan strings for my favorite player guitars.
    whatever is on sale for the others.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'll have to check the website, but if I remember correctly, the price on Pyramids at Strings By Mail (where I buy mine) is not much more than other brands. Check out SBM.....

8barlouie likes this.
  10. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

Another vote for D'Addario EXL110, 10.13.17.26.36.46, they seem to last, never break, and sound great

11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

While we’re moving electrons... I’ll add.
    I may change strings every few months... whether I need to or not.
    In the interim, I clean each string with Brasso. Really livens up my unwrapped strings, and brightens up the sound/look. YMMV

alnico357 likes this.
  12. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

I've tried a lot of different ones over the years. For quite awhile I used the Gilmour "strat" strings on my Fenders and the "les paul" strings on the others, but for simplicity's sake and because they last the longest and sound the best, I put GHS TNT (10-52) on all four guitars. I'll use another brand in the same gauge if necessary, but I prefer GHS.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I use these on all electrics now. No reason to look elsewhere.

Just a great sounding string with comfy tension and 'give,' I never break strings ( many years now)

I have kind of gone back and forth (45 years playing) between D'Addarios, Ernie Balls, and Fenders ( all same 10-46 gauge and alloy) but the D'Addarios are the only ones I buy anymore- cheap, bright, reliable.

Strings get changed after 3 gigs, basically before they may lose tone or break.

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For 25 years and counting...
    [​IMG]
    As for why.

Previously I used the cheapest set because as a teenager with not a lot in his pocket, that was the only option. So the sets I bought back then were THESE.
    [​IMG]
    And they were terrible, they lost their sparkle very quickly, tore up my fingers and had this NASTY black rust going.

So on recommendation of a buddy who worked in my regular music shop I tried D'Addario XL's and they were a revelation, all of a sudden I had strings which didn't sound dead within a week, I experimented with gauges and settled on the 011's because they felt right.

15. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Daddario 46-10 or whatever is on sale in that gauge string.

16. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

D'Addario XL Super Light Top Regular Bottom 9-46

Because they sound GREAT

17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

Strat and Tele get D’Addario 10 - 46
    I’ve tried others but keep coming back
    335 has D’Addario 10 - 52
    Hollow body has Thomastik-Infield 12 flat wound, I like the feel and the sound plus they last forever.
    Acoustics get Elixer nanoweb 12 because I don’t like the way phos bronze smells on my fingers
    I have a classical that rarely gets used and I don’t remember what the strings are except they are high tension

18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

EB Super Slinky 9-42

Because I like the feel and the price is right. I use them in all my guitars. Two Fendefs and four Gibson

19. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

upload_2020-8-1_20-16-23.jpeg
    They were on sale at my local shop one day when I needed new strings on my Strat. They felt smooth under the fingers, bent exactly how I wanted them to and lasted a long time. Then I got some for my Tele, and I loved them on that too. I normally have 10-52’s on another Tele and 11-52’s on my Jag, but I just got another 3-pack of these, so they’ll soon be on every guitar I own.

20. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Elixir Strings 19052 Optiweb Electric Guitar Strings -.010-.046 Light.

I keep most of my guitars on hangers throughout the house. Some guitars are played every other day, some go weeks without being played. I live in Florida a few blocks from the ocean so it is a very corrosive environment, even with AC. The Elixir strings do not oxidize over time. With infrequent playing, they seem to last forever. If you play on them frequently the coating does wear off eventually and require replacement. So for me, they are a huge value even at the higher price. I use the same set on everything basically.

For bass, I use the DR Black Beauty sets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.