What Strat has been your favorite? pics, stories, lets talk about them....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FortyEight, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

2015 Squier STD Stratocaster FMT
    Pic is before I adjusted all the high E & G poles up
    Blocked the trem and did a full shield job
    New pots, jag knobs, jack , switch, and cap are in the hopper.

JL_LI, FortyEight and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

My favorite is a 50th Anniversary from '04. Lawrence designed SCN pickups, 5-way plus S-1 switching gives it ten forward gears. IMG_20200810_112400.jpg
    Pretty 2 color sunburst, single layer PG, has both the most and least Strat sounding tones and a lot in between.

JL_LI, Bill B and FortyEight like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

All is right

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

My 1974 Strat has been my #! for many years, it's been modded with a Jaguar switch, Schaller tuners, 2 Lace Sensor and 1 DiMarzio "Fat Strat " pickups in the bridge. Now It's my FSR Strat with TX Special pups, locking tuners, a quilted top, and a parchment pick guard. It's the best playing Strat I have ever owned. IMG_1124.JPG View attachment 880256 View attachment 880256

JL_LI and FortyEight like this.
  5. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

My #1 is a FSR Strat with a Quilted top, parchment pickguard, TX Special pups, and locking tuners. It's the best playing Strat I have ever owned. IMG_1402.JPG

6. spiritguitar

spiritguitar TDPRI Member

My main Strat is a 1965 that I bought used in the summer of '69. In those days (and most years since) I saw no reason to own more than 1 electric, so I sold my previous axe, a '63 SGLP, which I immediately regretted. (There's a story behind that but I'll save it for another time).

In my first recording session that summer, I realized the single coil bridge pickup didn't cut it for my style of lead guitar, so I had the Epiphone humbucker installed (to deliver more of that SGLP humbucker sound I was used to).

I stripped the original CAR finish off in 1976, then around 1987 the original neck needed its 2nd refret so for variety I installed a Chandler Tele neck on it. In that configuration (plus a few mod experiments) it was my #1 for the next 20 years.

Around 2007 I decided to take the Strat back as close to original as possible, but when I dug the neck out of storage it was warped beyond repair. So I swapped out the Chandler neck for my favorite American Deluxe Tele neck. I tried a Gilmour single coil in the bridge but again it didn't work for me, so I kept the Epiphone humbucker mounted on the original pickguard. Since I couldn't get it completely back to stock I decided to upgrade the bridge with a Callaham steel assembly, adding a set of custom brass saddles.

Regarding the pickups, the 5-way is wired standard, so with the original '65 single coils I get the classic Strat sound in positions 3, 4 and 5, plus an LP-sounding humbucker bridge and a unique position 2. As it is now the guitar plays great and sounds great, so if the house was burning I'd definitely save it.

That's my Strat story -- cheers! :cool:

RD 65 Strat.jpg

7. koochie

koochie TDPRI Member

I own 3 Strats right now
    1. is a Blaze I pulled out of the garbage refinishedand rebuilt.
    2. is a Black Squier I got as a gift
    3. is a Red Squier I bought for $75 on craigslist and put a Jay Turser neck on. This one is my favo 5eeb694f01f432.61661902.jpg IMG_1745.JPG IMG_2641.JPG

8. RhinoV

RhinoV TDPRI Member

Not sure why you consider the 2 and 4 positions "grossly overused"? I tend to believe that for example, the 2 position is completely UNDERUSED...correctly. I LOVE the 2 position on the strats that have the middle pickup reverse wound so that the position allows the 2 pickups in parallel with hum cancelation. Then, if you turn the middle tone control all the way off, crank the gain of the amp, and even better yet, add a treble booster to the chain...instant Brian May tones!!! Or Tom Scholtz, or Billy Gibbons.....I have used this setting for many many years....and VERY few players have any idea how I get this sound from a Strat of all things....and you can still get all the "regular" tones with a simple throw of the switch because the tone control doesn't affect the neck or Bridge pickups. For good measure, all my strats have a mini toggle "Gilmour " switch to allow me to use the neck and Bridge in combination....but every position has its use....just remember that you can really do a lot by simply using the TONE controls.

FortyEight and richiek65 like this.
  9. mcstrange

mcstrange TDPRI Member

Has to be my Cort G270. Lace sensorpups, coil tapped humbucker, locking tuners, wilkinson tremolo system, solid swamp ash body, maple top (not that it is important). The neck pup is divine. It reeks blues. Guitar stays in tune after dive bombing multiple times and the action, finish is unbelievable. I paid $100 for it 2nd hand and another $50 getting a luthier to tweak it. Would I swap it? Never! If it had Fender on the headstock there would be another 0 tagged in the price. I'm more a Les Paul guy but this puppy hits it. Even my Strat fan mates stop after 3 seconds and go, 'Whoa, what's this?'. Note, they don't make them any more, it's from the Korean factory back in the days,a 2005model. Cort G270.jpg

JL_LI, wacolo and FortyEight like this.
  10. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

What a beautiful Strat!

FortyEight likes this.
  11. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Currently my 2012 American Standard.

American Standards have really been my favorite models of Fender guitars over the years.

Love the feel, sounds, dark Rosewood neck, and already yellowing tint to the Olympic White color of this guitar.

I also owned an Ebony American Standard Hardtail Stratocaster that I really liked. Stupidly let that one go.

My Olympic White Stratocaster is a keeper.

B11F9497-993E-4A0E-8273-E5CB1BBE53F8.jpeg
    92623BD3-0754-464B-909F-6A9C78B28F88.jpeg

Stiles, JL_LI, Southpole and 2 others like this.
  12. Rickman365

Rickman365 TDPRI Member

Favorites to play…I have a partscaster made with all custom shop parts. Mild relic shell pink body, maple neck, Josefina Campos pick ups. I also favor a Mark Knopfler model, and a 1988 body (the trench body) with an Eric Clapton pre amp, a Seymour Duncan skinny hum bucket in the middle, a red lace sensor in the bridge, and a blue lace sensor in the neck. I have others but those are the bomb(s).

FortyEight likes this.
  13. Rickman365

Rickman365 TDPRI Member

I forgot, they are all USA, and the 88 has a 93 maple neck on a black body.

FortyEight likes this.
  14. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Afflicted

Favourite Strat is a MIA 86 white AVRI 62 with gold hardware - sold in 94. Current favs are 2003 MIA AV 62 in Ice Blue Metallic and a 2015 MIA Channel Bound Strat - Sonic Blue, compound radius, CS Fat 50s pickups.

F8B51C75-9CBE-4E92-940B-DCB42D8C2D5B.jpeg 9E9DBACB-784E-4A5D-95AE-EF9AB04BA903.jpeg 128928B4-4A85-49B2-95E6-3ABEBB9A1D13.jpeg

gridlock, JL_LI, FortyEight and 2 others like this.
  15. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I’ve posted my only Strat a few times before, so fair warning. Always thought buckskin brown body with white guard would be a cool Strat to own, so last year I finally had one made for me. It plays and sounds great-still not a Strat guy, but I do play it often. The hand-wound pickups are really spectacular.
    Though not my #1, a great guitar nonetheless.

upload_2021-7-20_23-28-11.jpeg

upload_2021-7-20_23-28-50.jpeg

irie, JL_LI, Southpole and 3 others like this.
  16. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

In the late 80's I lusted after some Strats with big CBS style headstocks. Nearly impossible to find back then, but I managed to find two. Almost identical. Together with a red one I nicknamed them after the characters of my favorite movie, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. The red one was named Blondie, after Clint, but I sold it pretty soon thereafter. The twins got named Angel Eyes (the Bad) and Tuck (the Ugly). Even though they were nearly identical I favored one over the other. Angel Eyes got painted black, cause that was the color I really wanted, Tuco remained in the original ugly color (henceforth the Ugly). Somehow Tuco played better so Tuco became my favorite. Here I am playing Tuco in '94:

Tuco.jpg
    You can even see the name Tuco next to the pickup selector switch. By this time Tuco was modded with all black knobs and pickup covers, a DiMarzio hotrail bridge pickup and a bridge pickup splitter switch between the volume knob and selector switch.

Tuco 2.jpg
    Tuco in the mid 00's. By this time I had installed graphtech bridge saddles, nut and string trees installed because the G-string kept getting out of tune every time I used the tremelo. Also a toggle kill switch was affed next to the volume knob.

SDC10450.JPG
    Somewhere around 2009-10 I think. The toggle killswitch has been replaced by a push button, as that worked better for what I was playing at the time. I think the coil splitter switch may even have been disconnected as I rarely if ever coil tap. Also the neck and middle pickups have been replaced by high end Lace Sensors. Not any of the color series. I can't remember which though. Not shown on the lower back side was a huge crack in the lacquer because of Tuco taking a fall from the guitar strap getting lose. Henceforth the Grolsch beer rubbers on the straps to keep them firmly into place.

JW 100719 060.jpg
    Me rocking out Tuco in 2011 on the last gig I would ever play her.2011. The Lace Sensors have been replaced by the highest end Lace Sensors I could get, Holy Grails and I've installed a Les Paul toggle switch in the lower horn as another kill switch. Or as the other guitarist jokingly called it, my off switch. She was stolen from me right after the gig. Sadly I only noticed it a month later, as the band was on hiatus for a while and we put everything into storage right after the gig. So it was only then that I noticed I was short one guitar. This was the guitar I was going to take with me into the grave. :cry:

kookaburra, Stiles, irie and 4 others like this.
  17. lynnchpin

lynnchpin TDPRI Member

When I started playing, I hated strats. Despite the comfortable fit and feel, the inspiring tone, the legends I admire who play one, and the sheer icon status it carries, I completely ignored everything about them. I was really into metal at the time, I still am, and the smooth, curvy 1950's styling just appeared too anemic and safe compared to the models that Gibson, ESP, B.C Rich and others that were being showcased by all those who influenced the image of metal. Quite honestly, it really felt like Gibson was the reigning champ and still feel like they make some of the most aesthetically beautiful guitars, especially adorned with the Custom appointments with the binding and inlays. But now, I'm all about the Strat and Tele. Fender still makes great instruments and virtually every company Leo Fender had anything to do with produces some of the greatest quality instruments off the shelf. My favorite so far is a Texas Special Fat Strat. The image below is one I had for a brief stint. The only reason I got rid of it was to justify the expense and room for an all original 1974 Tele Deluxe. There's something about any Fender style guitar that regardless of the woods you choose, the neck and fretboard must be made of the same material and the headstock cannot be painted, or it just doesn't look right to me. So long as it's Maple & Ash with the fattest neck possible, I'll always dig it. I'm really interested in the Sweetwater Exclusive Sapphire Blue model. Pretty much the same thing but with the classic triple single coil pups ghe5yyo9qv60sfuytv6f.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    JL_LI, Southpole and FortyEight like this.
  18. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I wish I had time to respond to every post because I've had a lot of fun reading them. Like the comment "("yes i wud probably burn" by @Matt211 Made me laugh...

I've had an interesting couple days in regards to this..... I will make a new post in the other guitar forum but it all started with a one stand with a strat standard.

I kept seeing this Squier Standard Strat at my local music go round for a couple of months now and I liked how it looked. So I picked it up and brought it home. I was pretty excited about it cuz when I was at the store I noticed it had staggered pole pieces. And when I got it home I plugged it in and sounded really nice. Like real nice.

But I couldn't get the action as low as I wanted. It was still very high. I don't know if all 2 point trems are like this but it was sticking pretty far above the body. Looks like the bushings that go into the body that they screw into really could be deeper. Someday I'll have to look at what a good 2 point trem is supposed to look like. But with the saddles bottomed out and the neck adjusted properly it was still waaaay too high for my liking. So it went back. I was gonna just get my money back and keep saving for a better one like my plan but then I doubled down and picked up a G&L Fallout. My drummer and I are int the middle of recording several songs and I wanted the options for different sounds now as oppose to January.

I think I may still save for a better Strat. Because the alnico pups on the standard made my Fender Starcaster sound.... not as good. Or upgrade mine eventually. I personally am aching for a rosewood one though... I suppose I could swap necks eventually.... This one is in fine condition, although feels really flat to me.

I like the body feel of a Strat more than the Fallout but I really like that thing.... Plus I haven't had a guitar with P90's or humbuckers since the 90's. And I'm getting smart in my old age and know how to roll the volume back to get cleaner sounds....

Attached Files:

19. FortyEight

@East Coast Rick I feel the same way about the sounds. The one I have right now I cut out the neck pup and moved the middle to the neck. So now I get neck, neck/bridge, bridge. I don't usually like 2 and 4. On a bullet Strat I had I was able to just swap the neck and middle. The one I got wouldn't work like that. Plus I couldn't get the pup low enough anyways in that one with the bar magnet. I like the middle low and out of the way of picking.

Both of them sound a lot better to me being able to use the neck/ bridge together. That one I had overnight did sound strangely good in 2 and 4 though.

20. FortyEight

@joeypnw I think that's the best body color I've seen yet!!!!! Very nice. You lose points for it not being rosewood. LOL. That is gorgeous.

joeypnw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.