What Strat has been your favorite? pics, stories, lets talk about them....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FortyEight, Jul 15, 2021.

1. joeypnw

joeypnw TDPRI Member

2013 American Standard, during high school I was getting serious about music and wanted a fender but in my head a MIM was really all I could afford (nothing wrong with MIM). But my parents completely surprised me and got the money to give me this American strat on christmas. very blessed and never going to sell it

fat 50’s pick ups, mystic blue, maple board

upload_2021-7-20_9-8-18.jpeg

irie, JL_LI, FortyEight and 4 others like this.
  2. jsegovia

jsegovia TDPRI Member

The best Stratocaster I've ever played is an Eric Johnson Strat, in my opinion one of the best production Strats Fender has ever made. I've owned three of them (first one which was stolen, a Wildwood three-color sunburst guitar I foolishly and regretfully sold, and my current 2011 guitar in the photo below). 'Sounds fantastic with great vintage and clean tones but can also handle heavy overdriven stuff, and has a wonderful 12" radius neck which is very comfortable for this mainly Gibson player. My previous Strats were decked but this one was owned by an excellent luthier who set it up free-floating, which I absolutely love. Highly recommended!

IMG_8714.JPEG

Jesse

irie, JL_LI, FortyEight and 2 others like this.
  3. Spankie

Spankie TDPRI Member

4. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

1994 MIM Standard, candy apple red with anodized pickguard loaded with Kinman pickups. The one that got away, however, was a 1979 hardtail in Olympic white faded to a buttery cream.

Yes, I currently own three other Strats (and a partscaster); an EJ in Dakota red, a 1995 MIM tobacco burst (I guess) loaded with Burns pickups with Brian May switching and a stock 2012 MIA in Olympic White (another killer stock one that *won't* get away ;) )

FortyEight and Blackmore Fan like this.
  5. Spankie

Spankie TDPRI Member

I bought my first decent solid body electric many years ago. I didn't know squat about electric guitars but I knew Fender had a good name and was well respected.
    So when a friend of mine said he had a Strat to sell. I bought it sight unseen. It didn't have a Fender Logo on the headstock so I was totally disappointed.
    It turns out this was a put together Strat-style guitar. Later I learned it had a Strat- style after market body bolted to an after market neck. It had a Kahler bridge with fine tuners and tremolo bar. Also came with locking nut and Schaller machine heads. It's as heavy as an anvil. I don't know what kind of pickups are installed in it.
    Since then I have purchased a few Strats including one that the owner, who was a producer/director said he bought for Joe Perry to play in a movie he made. Whether this is true, I have no idea other than the fact that he did make a movie with a cameo role for Joe Perry. The point is, I wanted an American Stratocaster, white with a maple neck. It's a nice guitar.
    But of the guitars I now have, the first one I bought from that friend, sounds the best, plays the best and is still my favorite guitar to play.
    The only thing I have done to it is, I had it Pleked by a local repair shop.
    I put a dragon sticker on the headstock. I have a thing for dragons. Frankie.jpg

JL_LI, Bill B, FortyEight and 2 others like this.
  6. gazzie

gazzie TDPRI Member

I have quite a few Strats, 14 I think, but several stand out over the years. In no particular order this is my favourite 4. By the way I mention bridge pickups a couple of times as a couple stand out but I pretty much always play middle - certainly for gigs.

My first Strat was bought in either 1982 or 83. I knew I wanted one, and thought I knew what I wanted, but I tried every Strat in the shop - all American in those days - and I couldn't really find "the one". The shop owner then said, "Well we've got these brand new Japanese models, literally just come in and not on display yet. They are called Squier but are made by Fender Japan". I tried one - the 57 Reissue. It was fabulous so I bought it, and yes, it's a JV Squier. Looks like Buddy Holly's Strat. Still one of the greatest guitars I own. Great rolled neck, great pickups.

2nd one I got was an American '79 hardtail. I think I got that in about 83/4. That also had fantastic sounding pickups, the bridge was more like the power of a good Tele bridge pickup, not the usual tiny/brittle/thin horrible Strat bridge sound that I hate. It was a great workhorse, pretty battle scarred and I had to sell it in 1984/5 to finance a new Japanese 70s reissue. At the time I couldn't even trade it in - that's right, the shop wouldn't give me anything (that's zero!) for my 79 USA hardtail so I had to sell it privately. Got about £150 I think? Madness, and it's one of the only guitars I wished I'd kept. The Japanese Strat was/still is great, but I always regretted selling the '79 and so when I got the chance I had to get an identical replacement. It was about 10 years ago and that one cost me £1100. Interestingly it is the lightest Strat I have along with a Custom Shop hardtail. Probably under 7lbs.

3rd in my favourites? An SRV copy I had made by a luthier quite a while ago - maybe 20 years ago? It was my only gigging guitar for about 10 years and I love it. It looks identical to Stevie's circa 1985/6. And I do mean identical. Massive neck that seems to give it a huge sound. Your whole body vibrates when you play it. Even the SRV hologram initials stickers have worn in the same way from strumming hand/plectrum abuse. I had a few sets as they do wear out and only have one set left, but I haven't played this guitar live for years so hopefully they will last.

4th in the list would be a Jimmie Vaughan signature. White (of course!), V shaped maple neck that's lovely and comfortable, and has fabulous really well balanced Tex Mex pickups. Again the bridge has a great sound, more like a good Tele bridge pickup.

7. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

A 1994 (I think) Strat Plus, in which a friend had installed Fralins, and then sold to me. Vintage Hots neck/mid, SP 43 bridge. Sounded great, felt great.

FortyEight and BSG1 like this.
  8. npilger

npilger TDPRI Member

My go-to Strat is a 1993 American Standard in sunburst finish, rosewood board, mint green pickguard, '57/'62 Fender pickups with aged covers, matching vol/tone knobs with TBX stacked 250K/1M tone knob, brass roller bridge, Fender locking tuners, Schaller strap locks and a blocked tremolo (do not use the whammy bar). I may swap out middle pot (standard tone) with a blender pot, or a push-pull to allow for neck and bridge together (a'la Tele).

FortyEight and BSG1 like this.
  9. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

Yup, I only own two strats, but I know which one I'd grab as I ran out the door of a burning house because it is the one sitting on a stand plugged into my amp closest to the door. The "collectable high value" strat is safe in it's case in the dungeon. It's a closet queen and I'll take my player with me everytime.

I gave it to my son when he graduated HS in '97. My son gave it back when he joined the NAVY and then he quit playing, so I'm holding it 'til he starts again. I know he will.

It was used when I bought it for him and I didn't know much about them at the time. I do know it's US made an 80's something with black alder body and a neck really dark rosewood neck - I have no idea what the neck radius is but it works for me. I never use the trem so the arm has gone missing and the bridge set up to sit flat (like it's fixed) with 10's. I replaced the pickguard with a 3 ply blk/wht/blk with 3 black EMG's! I call it the tuxedo. I'm keeping it warm for when my son get's time to rekindle his relationship with guitar.

FortyEight likes this.
  10. 72lespaul

72lespaul TDPRI Member

My LSL Saticoy HSS. custom shop quality or better, at least 1/3 price less

FortyEight likes this.
  11. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I gave up on Strats for good a couple years ago, the last one being a Jimmie Vaughan model in CAR. I wanted to like it, I really did.

Every time I've owned a Strat in the past it ends up gathering dust and I sell it, not doing that anymore.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I am not really a Strat guy. Much prefer Teles but since have pared down to one Strat and 7 teles it would be my fifties mim Classic Strat in surf green. I modded the wiring so I have tone control on the middle and bridge pups together. Nice vintage sounding pups, killer neck and 7.5lbs.
    I had a nice Jimmie Vaughan Strat that had a great neck as well. For the money it may be the best Strat that Fender offers. In Oly White it is a very nice guitar for not a lot of $.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    JL_LI, FortyEight and Fiesta Red like this.
  13. Jimi D

Jimi D TDPRI Member

My Strat story's pretty straightforward... I played Strats on and off for thirty-odd years, but never found "the one", even though I used a Strat Ultra and later a Strat Deluxe as my primary gigging guitars from ~ 1995 to 2010 (when they were replaced by my 25th Anniversary PRS Custom)... Anyway, I had sold off my last Strat around 2014 and was in search of the perfect (for me) Stratocaster guitar for five years... I played any and every S-style guitar I saw in that time - probably more than 100 instruments - and never quite found what I was looking for... and then, in a period of 7 days, these two dropped in my lap :

[​IMG]

My AVRI's: an FSR CAR '63 Thin Skin with fat '50s up top and a Shoreline Gold '65 with grey bottoms beneath it... My objective had always been to pick just ONE Strat but I love these guitars like nobody's business and two and a half years later I still can't chose between them, so I keep both... I suspect I'll always have both...

irie, JL_LI, FortyEight and 3 others like this.
  14. jfiffik

jfiffik TDPRI Member

My 89' Strat started out a Plus model with gold sensors when I bought it new in 89' and a couple years later I modified it to a Strat Ultra with red humbucks in the bridge and red single in the neck, gold still in the middle. Last year I changed the pots that has the blender config as well as did a fret job with those super jumbo frets. It's still my number one and probably always will be. I gotta say the fret job put it over the top with playability. Never gonna part with it!

Strat.jpg

FortyEight likes this.
  15. Surf Green

Surf Green TDPRI Member

I already have quite a few teles, but I don't have a thinline. Why did you choose it and what is it like?

16. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz TDPRI Member

I suggest you buy an Olympic White Fender Stratocaster.

Hendrix makes Olympic White Strats look cool. Just sayin

FortyEight and Blackmore Fan like this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

What torture!

All of that FIESTA RED! And NO PHOTOS!

FortyEight and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. X-Ray

X-Ray TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Owned many Strats over the years with no success

Bought my first Jeff Beck model in '03 (1st left) - my "go to" and workhorse

Different pups in each - Vega Trems as well

Great to have three guitars which are the same yet very different

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    JL_LI and FortyEight like this.
  19. Jim B

Jim B TDPRI Member

Attached Files:

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I fixed it…

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.