What Strat has been your favorite? pics, stories, lets talk about them....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FortyEight, Jul 15, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I'd be all over the Albert Hammon Jr. model if I was going that route. He does what I like, white with rosewood I love and then blends the neck and bridge in the wiring somehow. When he plays it doesn't really sound overly "stratty" to me.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  2. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I have bought one Strat in my life, so I'm going with that one, 1996 American Standard.

FortyEight likes this.
  3. COOPSTER

COOPSTER TDPRI Member

Perhaps this will be hard to believe, but my 2008 (first run) road worn strat with it's 7.25 rosewood fretboard and 6105 frets is better than anything else I have, including my Fender AO strat and RW tele. She weighs in at 7.2 pounds with the thinnest of nitro finishes. I keep her decked with 9-42s and use her for pedal steel licks having wired the bridge pickup to the rear tone pot. For a poor boy like me this is as good as it gets. COOP

RW 2008 60s strat.jpg

4. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

If the inserts into the body that the 2 screws of the bridge are not flush with the body they have been levered up.

How much gap between the bridge and body on the screw edge?

I would re set those then adjust bridge height to about 1/16" on the front with the 2 screws.

Trem can go down quite a bit but up much and you lever against the body and those 2 inserts.
    Just pressed in the inserts rise without much over lifting of trem

FortyEight likes this.
  5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Never into partscasters, but I tried a Brad Paisley Tele and new I wanted a superlight, silver sparkle guitar.

Got a couple of bodies and now they have become my faves, out of 13 Strats/Teles.
    IMG_20200831_104727.jpg

JL_LI, Southpole and FortyEight like this.
  6. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

I like my Yamaha RGZ 312 "Super Strat" enough that I never thought to buy a real Strat (I do like a real Fender Stratocaster, though). I knew little about electric guitars when I bought it new in '89 or '90. I just asked Eddie at American Music in Seattle if they had any guitars with a coil split humbucker, a whammy bar, 24 frets, and a Rosewood fingerboard. He found me the one I have now. It also has a Floyd Rose locking/microtuner system. Not a lot of "Cooler than thou" points with this guitar, but everything still plays well and sounds good after 30 whatever years.

FortyEight likes this.
  7. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

My all time favorite vintage Stratocaster was the '63. My favorite Strat built in the last 20 years is the Eric Johnson Signature.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I bought this last year while stuck overseas by the zombie apocalypse. 2006 MIJ.

92CF16C4-5602-4430-AA46-60A69731AFF8.jpeg

I liked it so much I got this one and a red one I gave to a engineer who worked his butt off on the project. The blue is a MIJ 2006 model and it’s such a great strat!!
    A64BA901-C14A-4FA0-AF8F-7C785A938DDE.jpeg

The red one was a 2014 (I think) CIJ and felt and sounded as good as the blue one.
    2EA987AA-7FE9-473C-9830-B47CE9AE9CF7.jpeg

This is the one I’m excited about. Will start building it soon. It will have 4pickups. It’s a tribute to a 4 pickup guitar I gigged for almost 20 years. It was stolen.
    1. Bridge=a low wind PAF by Rio Grande.
    2. Strat=Tapped Cavalier Tiger. 6k
    3. Tele=Cav Lion King between the two strat pickups
    4.Strat=Tapped Cav Tiger 5.7k.
    5190EE8E-4C9E-40A3-83C0-751814F9E20D.jpeg
    1B832A32-A236-4308-8D5E-3F904447D94C.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    irie, JL_LI, Southpole and 1 other person like this.
  9. joeypnw

joeypnw TDPRI Member

haha thanks man!

FortyEight likes this.
  10. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce Tele-Holic

I favor my Teles over the Strats for the same reason I favor my recurve bows over compound bows, they are more elegant and simpler to operate. That distinction is very minor, as I love all my guitars, and enjoy playing them for different occasions and songs.

This is my first electric guitar, purchased in 2001 for our 25th wedding anniversary by my lovely bride. It is a 1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster Classic Series '50 Vintage in the sublime surf green. It was on consignment at Old Boise Guitar Company for about half price, with a nice Fender case. I have since modified most everything but the body and neck. The neck and bridge pickups are the Fender '69 Custom shop supposedly wound by Abigail Ybarra. The middle pickup is the Seymore Duncan SSL-2 single coil, but reverse wound-reverse polarity for humbucking in the second and fourth positions. This plays very clean traditional bell-like tones, that was the desired results from the modifications. The tuners are Gotoh locking vintage and they stay in tune very well. I use the five tremolo springs for the resonance and tuning stability. I have it professionally set up about every two years to get the most accuracy in tuning and intonation.

DSC_0491.jpg

Just a plug for my second favorite Strat, a 2005 Crafted in Japan Stratocaster XII 12-string. This instrument was perfect out of the box, I bought it new direct from the Fender factory in Corona, California. There is very little specific information on this guitar, e.g. "3 vintage-style single-coil Strat pickups," that tells me little about the performance. The instrument has the most clear and chiming bell-like tones that I have ever heard. I haven't changed a thing on this guitar, it is perfect the way it is. It is a most wonderful guitar and it sings like the angels. It has a modern tuning system that stays in tune as well as any of my other guitars. It gets limited use because 12-strings don't fit in most songs, but it is a joy to play.

12-string-emmyposter1038.JPEG

JL_LI, 4pickupguy and FortyEight like this.
  11. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 TDPRI Member

The one that got away. Actually there were 2. A loooong time ago. A whupped black ‘57 that was totally alive in every way, and an early ‘58 maple neck Strat that was found waterlogged in a flooded basement.
    I had a deposit on the ‘58, but the guy moved to Calif...I kinda, sorta got my deposit back in random junk. I was bummed, but let it go.

FortyEight likes this.
  12. FortyEight

@Dostradamas I was thinking about trying it but I didn't want to hurt it and then be stuck with it. Chalk that up to my lack of experience here. But it was freaking 1/8" or more out of the body. The bushings. I should've taken a better picture. I mean the bottom of the trem was way off of the body. I had a feeling this was fixable and not the norm. I'm a little bummed that I didn't try it but I'm kind of love with the G&L Fallout at this point. However, I do want a Strat that I feel the same way about. Maybe if that one stays there I could eventually pick it up. It was beat to heck and had it's own real world road worn thing going on. And it felt and sounded good to me besides the action being so high. However, the frets were kind of a mess. I think someone leveled them out and didn't really do anything after that. And I think it would've needed a refret at some point not too long down the road. The 12th fret was like a landing strip. LOL. So who knows how it would've played once I got the action lowered. And I'm not sure my skills would've been good enough to fix all that.

@Bonneville Bruce Is that a 12 string? I can't see how the bridge saddles are working that out......

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

7364ABDE-494F-446A-B584-0F6F7F9F5810.jpeg
    Day 2. I’ve had this American Standard for 5 years. I never got along with the 60 cycle hum. I put VN pickups in and got along with them less. Yesterday, an Ultra Luxe loaded pickguard arrived from Stratosphere. One hour later I’m happy. The guitar is bright and clear. I’m getting tones I like using the same amp and equalizer settings I use for my FCS ‘69 Strat and my Telecaster. I can’t call it my favorite but it’ll be getting serious playing time now. And I really like the 3 ply black guard over smoke gray metallic.

posttoastie, Stiles, irie and 2 others like this.
  14. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thats purdy.

FortyEight likes this.
  15. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

My favorite Strat?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021 at 2:38 PM
  16. FortyEight

Yeah I like the cream plastic with all the dark and then the maple. Looks really good.

@Don Rich Rules Very cool. Looks really good.

Stiles likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.