1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What strain relief for 5f2 chassis?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Outlaws, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I can't help you on the "right one", but is your chassis as grainy and rough looking as the one I just got?

3. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

There is a specific style, which I ordered for my 5f2a. It did take a while researching the right one. If you're in Europe I can probably post you a spare. It's possible there are two different variants, as my initial one sent from Boothill didn't fit my Chinese made chassis (which I think is the most common dimensions for this type).

I THINK You want a Heyco 5N-4. Try looking, there is a PDF somewhere with the dimensions.

Update: checked the dimensions on mine, pretty sure the 5N-4 is correct, the 'flattened' dimensions are just over 11mm, where yours shows 11.8. I do have a spare but they only cost pennies on eBay.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Outlaws likes this.
  4. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

I haven’t ordered it yet.

5. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

That sure seems like it. Thanks. In the states though, I can track one down from this.

Paul-T likes this.
  6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Also is that going to be period correct, so it would be more for the two prong cord and you might be wanting to go updated to three prong?

7. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Holic

My chassis, strain thingy and lead, same dimensions, work fine for three-conductor cable. the cable grip pliers do make it easier, again, they are on eBay etc.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    King Fan likes this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What @Paul-T says. IME most amp-specific shops sell the same 'Fender replacement' sized strain relief — though Heyco do make tons of different sizes — that fit in the standard double-D punch-out in most modern chassis types. And that size does fit standard 3-conductor SVT and SJT. I see AES actually has a separate listing for a 2-conductor strain relief. Also as Paul says, save your sanity — if you don’t already have some strain relief pliers...

51A5BC89-D665-4C0E-8FA1-983EBD198C52.jpeg

James Knox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.