What specific intermediate/advanced tutorial vids had a huge impact on your playing?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ryguy76, Dec 5, 2020.

1. ryguy76

ryguy76 TDPRI Member

Every now and then I find a tutorial vid that is pure gold for me in terms of breaking new ground and advancing my playing. I’m curious about what vids others may have stumbled upon that have unlocked certain techniques, tasty licks or opened your eyes to understanding the fretboard better to make new and cool musical choices while improvising either rhythm or lead guitar?

I’m hoping to keep this at the intermediate and above level and I’ll start by dropping this one:

2. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Eric is great, I try to learn all of his stuff.

I like Josh Smith too, he always gives me something practical to think about

ryguy76 likes this.
  3. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

I’m watching this thread for advice as well.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This one helped me. I played the exercise for 2-4 minutes a couple times a day for about a month. Things started to feel more fluid. I use it for a warm-up now.

Toast and ryguy76 like this.
  5. ryguy76

ryguy76 TDPRI Member

Agreed on Eric, making my way through his vids and he covers some very cool things I will be incorporating into my playing for sure.

I haven’t watched Josh Smith vids yet, but I am familiar with his playing after Paul David’s broke down the first 12 bars from one of his vids that is pretty awesome. That was a fun one to learn.

Toast and 57fenderstrat like this.
  6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Eric Haugen is really good.

I've learned some good things about soloing over changes from the FretJam channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxkHgy7clELlKair07L0oNg

Jake at SignalsMusic Studio is good, too.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRDDHLvQb8HjE2r7_ZuNtWA

Not free, but Jeff McErlain's "Chord Tone Soloing" course on TrueFire was a big step for me.

More than any videos, but similar to what Jeff covers in that course, going back and focusing on triads for a while (after having learned all sorts of chords and arpeggios years ago), and really focusing on the chord changes in a tune helped open up a lot of music to me - like the lights were finally turned on. (I can go on for a while about this, so I'll just stop. :twisted:)

Toast and ryguy76 like this.
  7. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I'm a big fan of Stich's lessons. However, I watch lessons from a ton of different online teachers. There are a lot of great lessons online. As a guitar player, I think I'm a good beginner in many respects and an intermediate player in some others. Anyway, I don't know where to classify this video on the learning spectrum. I found it really helpful for making backing tracks with a looper where chord changes are emphasized and easier to solo over. It also got me thinking about how to communicate with a drummer (I'm not in a band) to comp the other players in the band effectively.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  8. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

I’m taking Tommy Emmanuels fingerpicking course on TrueFire. I never really learned how to finger pick. I’ve played for 20 years but getting my thumb to play a bass line while my fingers do something else is completely alien to me. Great course and it’s almost like learning to play and different instrument.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.